1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Final Word (actually, 95 of them)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

What do you think of this?

“As you get better, you’ll come to realize that 99.9% of all missed targets are caused by a fault in the shooter's mental or physical technique. Our guns and ammo are much more consistent than we could ever hope to be. Blaming equipment for zeroes on the score sheet may soothe your ego, but the truly accurate answer to why any of us miss a target is almost always, ‘I shot that one poorly’. Tournament winners do that much less frequently than anyone else. There - that’s clay target shooting in a nutshell.”

The final 95 words in Jeff Meloy’s book, “Understanding Shotgun Stocks for Better Shooting”

Personally, I'm taking this message to heart. You probably can tell that this has been a very useful and inspirational book for me. And, no, I have no financial connection with either the author or the publisher.

Larry

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Who's Jeff Meloy?

Keller

3. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Jeff Meloy is the author of “Understanding Shotgun Stocks for Better Shooting”

Larry

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I think it is 100% true. I have been stating that it is 95% mental, and 5% all other factors, including physical, for quite a while now.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Jeff Meloy is the author of “Understanding Shotgun Stocks for Better Shooting”</I></blockquote>I figured out that much for myself.

I guess I should have asked what qualifies him to write the book. I haven't found anything on the internet that would list his qualifications as a stockmaker or an expert.

Keller

6. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

The vast majority of the time when I miss a target it is because my brain is somewhere else when my mouth says pull.

Stl, it is 95% mental the rest is in your head

7. willing

willing Member

I hit all 25, some just don't break!

Bill

8. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Hi all:

Jeff Meloy here.

As mentioned by GrandpasArms, my new book just recently hit the market. The title is "Understanding Shotgun Stocks for Better Shooting: Features, Fit, Fixes, Fables, and Facts".

Keller (Unknown1) asked about my qualifications. Fair enough. That’s certainly a legitimate question. So here goes:

- ATA shooter since 1977. Over 66,000 registered targets, and at least that many practice and league targets. AA-27 (well, at least until the recent 2-yard reduction everyone got). ATA number is 25-10175.

- I've written articles for Shotgun Sports Magazine since 2002.

- Mechanical engineer / technical writer / technical illustrator for over 25 years. My tech manuals are distributed and read all over the world. Organizing complex subjects into easy-to-digest chunks and creating top-quality illustrations are what I do best.

- I make my own stocks and have been a serious student of shotgun shooting for 35 years.

Here’s what the book is about:

Features:
    A detailed look at stock features, shapes, and dimensions. What you need to know when buying a new gun, analyzing your current gun, or discussing a custom stock.

Fit:
    Stock fit – what it really is and what it isn’t. Plus, a true step-by-step procedure that enables you to recognize good stock fit or determine the modifications necessary to achieve it.

Fixes:
    All the ways a stock can be altered to fit the shooter. What’s easy and inexpensive versus time-consuming and costly. When to modify your current stock and when it’s best to totally replace it.

Fables and Facts:
    Point of Impact – a complete explanation.
    Why Point of Impact and stock fit are not the same.
    Why you shoot at a pattern board. It’s not to verify stock fit!
    The purpose, capabilities, and limitations of adjustable devices.

The book is published by Gun Show Books. 148 pages, softcover. The book is full-size 8.5" x 11", so you won't need a magnifying glass to see the details in the illustrations.

To order:

1. Go to http://www.gunshowbooks.com

2. Click on the "Our Book Store" button at the top of their homepage.

3. You will get a list of book categories. Click on the "Trap & Skeet" category. My book is listed there.

Response from reviewers has been excellent. If I may drop a name, Neil Winston was kind enough to review the book pre-publication, and really liked it. Some additional discussion about the book is currently taking place on shotgunworld.com. Here is a link to that discussion if you would like to take a look:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=287189

Best regards and good shooting to all,

Jeff Meloy

9. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I just ordered your book. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Bob Cade

10. Tech Writer Jeff

Tech Writer Jeff Active Member

Thanks for ordering the book, Bob. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.

After you read it, let me know what you think. Send me a PM or post your comments here on trapshooters.com

- Jeff Meloy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.