1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The ever ending hunt to find model 12 # 1

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 26, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Years ago Shotgun sports magazine asked their readers to write in if they had a low serial # on their model 12. If memory serves me right, I believe someone wrote in with serial # 2, as there were some with #'s under 100.

They did not print the owners name, but the owners did send in a picture of their serial # on their model 12.

Is there anyone out there that owns a low serial # model 12? No picture is needed if you don't want to send one as your word is good enough for me.

If serial # 1 was ever found, how much do you think the gun would sell for at auction. Remember, the model 12 means a lot to many shooters and is part of trapshooting history. Let's have some fun, who has a lowest serial# model 12 on this site? Anyone out there have a serial # under 1,000?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

If I remember correctly, #2 was a 20 gauge owned by someone in the Salt Lake City area.

3. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

I own a 20 guage #9072 w/26" full choked. Wayne Downham

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If my memory serves me right, the hunt for the earliest M-12 was in the late 70's. I remember the gunsmith I was working for (while I was still in high school), showed me the article. I don't remember the magazine though.

Doug

5. senior smoke

Thanks to all of you for the info and history. To my knowledge serial #1 has not been found. I would have thought that Winchester would have kept the first model 12 they produced, but I am sure they never would of thought this gun would be as popular as it was.

Wayne:
    That's a nice model 12 to have.
    Steve

Years ago, I was speaking to the owner of the Boxhorn gun club about model 12's. I told him that some guy wrote in a magazine that there was a rumor that a model 12 was made in left hand version for awhile. He said what happened some magazine reversed the negative and the model 12 showed up in the magazine as being left handed.

He told me that if you had the money years ago, Winchester's specialty shop would make you any thing you wanted, including a left hand model.
    Steve

6. UTVols

UTVols TS Member

Here's more confusion. The Riffle book shows a photo of SN 1 as a 16 gauge. He then describes the situation as "it is not REALLY SN 1" It was the first prototype 16 ga gun, labled as SN 1. I'm sure someone has the Riffle book handy long before I get home and look it up. So there's at least TWO SN 1's built, perhaps a 12 and 28 ga the same way???

A coworker of mine has SN 498. I've been trying for years to get it...

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thomas Johnson probably got it. He was an engineer for Winchester, and designed the hammerless model 12, similar to John Brownings design of the Winchester 1893/97.

Wayne

8. senior smoke

UTvols:
    That's all we need now are 2 #1's. T
    Thanks for the info as I never knew that before.
    Steve

Wayne:
    That's a good possibility.
    Steve

9. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Serial #18 is in Cosners Gun Shop (or was) in Bedford, IN.

It is a 20 gauge and in not-so-good condition.

Been hunted hard.

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

#1 is owned by Alvin Bender it is a 20ga as the first model 12's were. Jeff

11. senior smoke

Jeff:
    How do you know this to be true? If your information is correct, he holds something very special, and at auction would bring a lot of money.
    Steve

12. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

A friend has repeated a story several times of a old model twelve he knew of that did not have a serial number, but rather some writing, or letters where the serial no. should be.

I can't remember the whole story, but he said it was very unusual.

13. Mapper

Mapper Member

I cannot say about the model 12, but my Dad knew a salesman/trick shooter for both Winchester and later Remington. Dad shot # 1 or 2 of both the 52 Winchester and 40 Remington. Soon, both factories got the guns back from the salesman. I would think #1 model 12 also was rounded up. I had the privilege of shooting #87 Ruger 357 Blackhawk, so they didn't hoard too many guns at the factory.

14. senior smoke

Mapper:
    Very Interesting.
    Steve