1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The dumbest thing I ever done, so far.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kent, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent

Kent TS Member

All I was trying to do is cut down a small tree. It got hung up on top by another and before I was finished I had three chain saws pinched by their bars. I don't think I trust myself with a shotgun anymore.
    [​IMG]

2. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

What I did where I did .. stays where I did it...... enuff said

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Maybe to much Killians?

Lumber Jack you aren't my friend. I just wish I had three chainsaws to jam!

Guy B.

4. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Been there,done that !

5. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Be careful with those chainsaws Kent, accidents can happen.

<a href="http://s1268.beta.photobucket.com/user/lfeco2/media/ATT339157.jpeg.html" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Make a small top cut then come up from the bottom and that wouldn't of happened.

All your pressure is going to be on the top. Cut to far and PINCH.

Nice to see you had backup saws!!!

Better luck next time!

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Looks like you need a couple more chainsaws LOL

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

That wouldn't happen if you had been using a Stihl, . . . well, maybe it would have. You now have a little more wisdom regarding those grabby/sticky trees.

9. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Looks like Killian can't make up his mind on which saw is best:)

10. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I've got the twin to the Poulan highest up. It's in near mint condition- well, except for the hole in the piston. It'd make a great parts saw if anyone owns one that actually made it through more than 20 hrs. of use.

11. RLC323

RLC323 Member

That is just a little snag. no blood spilled (yet) so not such a bad day.

Looks like some Southern Il hickory there, that stuff is hard cutting with a dull chain. If you are like most of us at least 1 out of your 3 saws has a dull chain.

Dad started me out with an axe. With an axe you will slowly, slowly, learn all you need to know about felling trees. I had to work my way up to chainsaw.

I still prefer the axe for small brush that can be peeled at ground level with one swipe.

12. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

This gives new meaning to the old Gong Show phrase, "Having no talent is no longer enough."

13. Kent

Kent TS Member

If you can't laugh at yourself then you can't laugh. I like the pic of the way to start a saw lol

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

LOL, those pinches happen so quick too.

15. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

For those of us that know Kent, We bet he is not done yet, just gone after another saw(LOL).

Hey Kent , sell the saws or the camera!!!! Kirk

16. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Keep in mind you are young, maybe you can "outdumb" yourself, I seem to be able to often, and YES I have stuck numberous saws. Is whay they try to sell backups LOL
    DaveB

17. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Well Kent I might have you beat. A few years ago I had a deer hanging from a tree next to my driveway. After I took the deer down I left the rope hanging. There was a couple of feet of that rope still on my driveway and it snowed that night. The next morning I started blowing the snow of my driveway and my snow blower found the end of that rope. Before I knew what happened my snow blower was climbing up that rope like a monkey until it killed the motor. Had to get my neighbor to help me cut it down. We still laugh about it.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sharp chain and plenty of HP goes a long way. I learned my lesson with those small kiddy saws early on. Was 20' in a tree trying to take the top off when it petered out. I climbed back down and Borrowed the neighbors Husqvarna and dropped the tree with my kiddy saw still stuck in the top. Went and bought myself a big Husqvarna a few days later.

19. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

The best pinch I ever did was taking down a long dead 95-100 foot high Western Red Cedar about 4 feet through at 5 feet off the ground. I had a Stihl 038 with a 24" bar, and had to work from both left and right to get a full horizonal cut.

I did a good deep under cut, notching it halfway through, then went to the back side, and started cutting from the left side. I got that side almost to the undercut, and moved to the right side. I was very leery of this tree, because it was rotten in the middle, and I didn't want to get hit by anything if it shattered as it dropped. Needless to say, I kept a good eye on it, so I could scramble clear when it dropped. There was no warning at all when the bar was suddenly pinched, and the chain stopped cutting.

I got well clear, because it had pinched on the back side, NOT on the side I was dropping it to, and I wanted to see what was going to happen. It didn't fall, so I went back to see if I could get the saw free, and realised that what I had taken for branches off this tree were, in fact, from a bigger cedar about 12 feet away. All the foliage was on the one side, weighting it on the side of the back cut. There was no way to get the saw out. I couldn't drive a wedge in, and expand the cut, so was talking with my swamper, and trying to figure out what to do, when it cracked through, and dropped.

Luckily, it was about 15 feet short of landing on top of the resort building, or I would still be paying for it. Needless to say, I am much more careful when falling big trees now.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Anyone that uses a chainsaw has done something similar at some point. Live and learn. Timberfaller let you know the right way - guess with a handle like that he would know.

And yes, you gotta laugh at your dumb stunts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.