1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The dopes at the UPS Store at Frederick MD.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I won one of the neat Christmas prizes from Keven Lewis at Downrange Mfg. to have my reloads lab tested. I took the shells, properly packaged and the Proper Label on the box, according to the instructions: Mark the Box "Ammunition Small Arms ORD-M". "Sorry they told me, we can't ship guns. I showed them the letter, and told the kid it wasn't a gun it was some items to be tested, and here's the letter explaining it all. So he calls the supervisor, who gets on the phone and after a short conversation with "someone", informs me that the can't ship firearms. "What part of this is NOT a firearm don't you understand?" I asked. Sorry, I was told, there's nothing we can do.

grrrrr

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Walked into a UPS store and needed to ship something all packaged up and with a pre-paid label on the box. On the way to the store, I noticed that a corner could use more tape so I kindly asked the guy at the counter for a 4" piece of packing tape. The tape was laying within arm's reach in between us. He then proceeded to inform me that it will cost $2.95 for the tape. I didn't quite understand so I explained that I didn't want to BUY the roll, I just needed a small piece. At which point he showed me a sign on the wall that the USE of tape costs $2.95. At this point, I ended the conversation with a few choice pleasantries and left with my package.

On the way home, I ran into a mobile UPS drop-off truck that gladly taped the box and send it on the its way.

Duly noted and now FedEx gets my business.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The mods are gonna love your title. Might want to edit it before they see it. Take it from someone that has been slapped more than once.

4. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I assume this "UPS store" was one of the those privately owned shipping centers? If so, that where your problem is....

The UPS shipping hub near me allows customers to use the packaging tape that is available at the clerk counter....use as much tape as you want.

5. Border Bandit

Thanks....fixed

6. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

UPS Store is NOT associated with UPS different company. You have to go to the UPS center and they take ORM-D no problem. Could also have them pickup as well. I avoid the UPS store like the plague. Joe

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Border Bandit, I luv you man. But the Mods are gonna be on ya! They have slapped me once or twice also. :)

8. Border Bandit

Thanks guys....fixed...grin

best.....mike

9. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I think dumba-- is a term of endearment in this case, could have said much worse :)

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

U P S.....Usually Poor Service.....never have these problems at Fed Ex.

and yes, they are dopes.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

vpr80, It was good and cute if you caught the thread in time.

12. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

The best thing to do at a UPS store is keep them in the dark. I shipped my XT for repair and insured it at full replacement value. The kid said that at that amount they had to know what was in the box. I wrote it down for him... "Browning series XT clay disassembly mechanism". He looked puzzled for a moment then said OK! If I'd told him it was a shotgun I'd have been on my way to an actual UPS center.

rm

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Anything having to do with firearms is shipped through UPS or USPS as "machine parts... FRAGILE"

Keller

14. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the one near us started to charge $1.50 just to drop a package off...never went back!!

tony

15. high 2

high 2 Member

And when you fai, to tell them what`s in the box, or lie to them, watch what happens when you have a claim. You`ll play hell collecting. Larry

16. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

UPS Stores are private businesses, and as such, can do as they please. They are not affiliated with UPS, and are basically just a clearinghouse for packages. They don't do anything more with your package than you do yourself at home when you print out a label.

17. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

From the ATF website:

"Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]"

18. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

united states postal service the best hands down

19. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Those people in those stores are basically retarded cretins. Woody

20. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I once tried to ship a Winchester Model 42 stock - no metal, no screws, no butt plate - just the wood stock. I was truthful when asked what was in the box. The UPS franchise store clerk said they couldn't ship it. I explained "it's just a piece of wood." No matter, they still wouldn't take it. That's the last time I've ever been in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.