1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The definition of acceleration

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Check this out!

DEFINITION OF ACCELERATION

One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepowerthan the first 4 rows of stock cars at the Daytona 500. It takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 6,000+ horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels. Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1-1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second; a fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger. With 3,000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive,the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle. At the stoichiometric (stoichiometry: methodology and technology by which quantities of reactants and products in chemical reactions aredetermined) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture of nitro methane, the flame fronttemperature measures 7,050 deg F. Nitro methane burns yellow... The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is theoutput of an arc welder in each cylinder. Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After halfway,the engine is dieseling from compression, plus the glow of exhaust valve seat 1,400 deg F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuelflow. If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up inthe affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

In order to exceed 300 mph in 4. 5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate anaverage of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph (well before half-track),the launch acceleration approaches 8G's. Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

Top fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions underload. The redline is actually quite high at 9,500 rpm. Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimate $1,000.00 per second.

The current top fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.428 seconds forthe quarter mile (11/12/06, Jared Vogler , at Pomona , CA ). The topspeed record is 336.15 mph as measured over the last 66' of the run(05/25/05 Jared Vogler, at Hebron , OH ).

Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter 'twin-turbo' poweredCorvette Z06. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster is staged andready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the 'Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and pass the dragster at an honest 200mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your foot down hard,but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums andwithin 3 seconds, the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1,320 foot long race course. ...... and that my friend, is ACCELERATION!

ss

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

And when the parachutes come out to stop the damn thing, that is also acceleration. Wayne

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

wayneo is righto.

4. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

Wow!

I used to follow all this back in the 60's when they still called it AA Dragsters and Big Daddy Don Garlits was the King. I wonder what ever happened to him?

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude Abides..."

5. skeezix

skeezix Member

Thats pretty cool.

I used to work on a little engine, in a previous life. It's fuel consumption was 1100 lbs +/- per second depending on the power level it was running at. The fuel pump alone delivered up to 75,000 horsepower, I don't recall what it weighed but about 750 lbs or so (the fuel pump)

john

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing video of Cory McClenathan being worked on between rounds by his chiropractor....the acceleration of the launch and the deceleration when he deployed his chutes was causing him grief in his lower back. Gotta be the best thrill ride on the planet!....anyone on here ever fly an F-18 off a carrier?...that would be an intersting comparison.

7. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

About 20 years ago when we were boarded to fly on vacation to CanCun there was a fella who was already white knuckeling the arm rests just behind us. I talked to him a few seconds and asked him if he liked the drag strip. He said he did and I told him he was about to take the ride of his life. Those Lockheed L1011's were something. When you got to be going 165 mph the pilot would nail it and really set you back when you went airborn and it just seemed like the g's just went away and we commenced to fly.:) Fun to do. I can't imagine what those top fuelers feel when they go 0 to 300 plus in just a few seconds. Dan

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Riding in a Lear is quite a ride when the pilot stands on the brakes and shoves the throttles ahead, to take off. It ain't a fuel car, but still a good ride.

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The definition of acceleration is the change in velocity with repect to time.

An ordinary trap load accelerates at a rate that makes dragsters seem slow.

10. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

I have a 400+ hp car, with dual clutch SMG tranny. It scares me without much effort. I don't know how you fellas can pilot these beasts down the strip like that. Gotta beat a cold shower for eye opening experience.

Bill

11. 221

IIRC...Didn't Kenny Bernstein???????...Race a jet fighter at the Carrier catapult school????? Anybody remember that?? I believe it was he who had his car on a carrier deck for a PR shoot.

12. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

I vaguely remember that happening, but couldn't for thelife of me tell you who it was.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude Abides..."

13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Some of my coffee drinkers were arguing about drag racing yesterday morning.

The top fuel track is shortened now to 1000 feet?

It's not low et that wins, it's first to the finish line?

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I still have that magazine article. It's been a while back and at that time the top fueler would out accelerate a F/A-18 to 180 mph (launch speed from a catapoult).

Charles,

The "Old Man" is alive and doing well. He's still racing (new Hemi Challenger in Super Stock) and was out at Bakersfield last weekend for the big nostalgia meet.

RickN,

Yes the track length was shortened to 1000' for fuel cars. Pro Stock and everything else still goes the full 1320'

1000' is here to stay for fuel cars. The NHRA is recognizing records for the 1000' now.

It's always been the first to the finish line. That's why reaction times are so important.

I'm glad that y'all are taking this for what it is, a fun read. The reference info is a little old, but its just to put everything in prespective.

ss
    ss

15. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I thought it was first to the finish line but I was in the minority yesterday.

On the ET, does their time start when the light goes green, or does it start when their car moves ahead and "breaks a beam?"

Not a big follower of drag racing.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

RickN & timb99,

In drag racing, it's the best combined time (reaction time and elapsed time) wins the race. Some classes this is "heads-up" and others it's "handicapped"

Heads-up = Both cars leaveing the starting line at the same time.

Handicapped or Bracket = Cars leaving at different times allowing racers of different performance to compete against each other.

Reaction time = Is the differential between the lights turning green and the vehicle breaking the beams at the starting line. This done too quickly and you get what's called a red light or foul start.

ss

17. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Charles,
    Not sure where Big Daddy Don Garlits is but his dragster museum is in Ocala, Florida.

18. 221

In....PRO RACING.......First to the line wins..Period.....The numbers are for record purposes.

When both cars smoke the tires the numbers are meaningless. ,,,first to the line wins.....You can do the math and see why 1 or the other won but breaking that beam at the end is boss.

Don G is in Florida running his museum and supposed to be back with a Dodge Prepped car that was available recently to the public, ready to race like the 9.90 cars of the60 & 70's. I don't know what is going on with that as he's close to 80....I would stay retired if It were me. Watched Ali crash and burn.

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

shot charge leaving the barrel at 1200fps thats acceleration!

20. 221

ET(Bracket Racing) racing Is drag racing where the cars use a predetermined ET assigned to each car....The object is to be the first to the finish line without breaking out.....(Running quicker than your designated ET). Some refer to it as brake racing as some run all out, then stand on the brakes to keep from going too quick(ET), while still beating your opponent to the finish line. There are instances in ET racing where you can be second to the line and still win if the other guy ran under his ET Bracket.

Et racing is not easy to win at as the fastest cars usually do not win....It's a drivers race, as you could take your kia and win a big race.....it takes a lot of skill and strategy.

PRO Racing is heads up, no breakout, fastest guy, quickest, first to the Finnish line wins.

Bracket Racing is closest to your dial-in ET and first to the finish.....Being there the quickest and fastest does not mean a win. You can be first and fastest and lose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.