1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The David Letterman we don't often hear

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cat Fish, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Lettterman never said it, but I'm glad somebody did
    No, David Letterman didn't say it. Ever. I'm a big fan of his, but anybody who's ever seen Letterman with any conservative political figure knows he doesn't have these words in him.

(Please, dear readers, check www.snopes.com for accuracy on stuff like this before sending it along!)

Somebody wrote it, though, and the words are speeding across the Internet. I'm going to lift them for today's column because some of them bear repeating. Yes, these are difficult times, the forward days of what may turn out to be the biggest economic downturn of our lives. Some of our neighbors will be in trouble, and we all need to do our part to help them if we can, even if only a bit.

No matter how tough times get, though, I believe we need to reflect this Thanksgiving on how lucky we all are to be here in the United States.

So to the person wrote the following, thanks.

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right? The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence two-thirds of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?'

* Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, seven days a week?

* Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

* Could it be that 94 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

* Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

* Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

* I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough either.

* Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

* Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family, and your belongings.

* Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

* This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

* How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

Here is where the writer loses me.

"Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S., yet has a great disdain for its citizens."

My "fact" is, I know too many people who don't fit that description, and I'm glad they live and work near me. We all certainly have the right to make suggestions to "form a more perfect union," as our Founding Fathers wrote.

But for the next few days, I'll just remember to be thankful for how lucky I am to have been born in America.

I really don't care what David Letterman thinks.

- Ward is publisher of

The Valley Breeze newspapers
  2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I don't think Letterman has what it takes to write an article like that. It is more like what Gordon Sinclair of Canada wrote and recorded about 30 or 35 years ago, and was played on a lot of radio stations for quite some time. DL is just another Liberal POS who supported Balack Hussein Obama.
  3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Nov 6, 2006
    Letterman is a POS.
  4. jimx200

jimx200 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Take away a script for him to read and he is useless at being funny. Amazing how self important this guy thinks he is.
  5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I believe the phrase is, "He believes his own Bull Shit."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.