1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cut and Dry of new NYS firearm laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by skeet_man, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Well, it passed the Senate and House, just waiting for Cuomo's signature. Will go into effect 12:00am tonight.

The broad strokes:

Pretty much bans future purchase of semi-automatic rifles with “assault” characteristics (detachable mag + pistol grip makes it an assault weapon). Those who have them now will be allowed to keep them, but they will be registered, with a 5 year renewal requirement. There are also new storage requirements for “assault” weapons including trigger locks and safes. Law prohibits transfer of these guns EVER, meaning they cannot be sold, traded, given away, bequeathed, ect. When you die, your executors have one year to get them out of the state, or they will be destroyed. If you own them as of Jan 16, 2012, you own them for life, until you destroy them or die.

10 round magazines made before 1994 can be retained, but must only be loaded with 7 rounds at a time. Any magazine made after 1994 with a capacity higher than 7 rounds must be surrendered, sold out of state, or destroyed. This includes box magazines, stripper clips, en bloc clips, and pretty much any ammunition containing device.

5 year renewal on pistol permits, which were lifetime permits when granted.

Private party sales much go through NICS check unless being given to IMMEDIATE family member. Grandpa wants to give his gun to grandson, has to go through NICS check.

Ammunition will now require a state level NICS-style check (for which there is no mechanism in place to facilitate this). Private ammunition transfers (want to give your buddy a box of shells to shoot another round?) must be facilitated through a dealer. Internet sales much be facilitated through a dealer (which is pretty much a defacto ban on internet ammo sales since no dealer is going to facilitate the transaction and compete against themselves on ammo prices). Ammo prices will skyrocket. This will pretty much ban the sale of ammunition at shoots, since few will be able to comply, and no gun clubs will be able to comply. No specific wording on reloading components, but wide discretion is left up to the commissioner of state police, so I’m sure it will include components shortly if it doesn’t already. Automatic notification to the state police if you buy “large quantities” of ammunition. Guess what, to most people a flat of shotgun shells or a brick of 22s constitutes a “large quantity”. $10 background check fee to purchase ammunition.

That's what I've discovered thus far, will add more if/when I discover it. Much more to the bill, but those are the worst parts. Guess we in NY probably don't need to worry about what Obama has planned, can't be much worse than what we have now.

2. skeet_man

A thumbhole stock on your 1100 or 391 now makes your gun illegal in NYS.

A PFS on a semi-automatic shotgun now makes your gun illegal in NYS. Guess I'm glad I didn't complete that project a couple years ago.

And depending on how loosely one wants to interpret the law, a gracoil/countercoil/RAD/Bumpbuster on a semi-automatic shotgun now makes those guns illegal as well, since they "telescope".

3. skeet_man

also, if you go into a coma, you loose your pistol permit, and have to reapply when you regain consciousness.

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I see on TV that New York State is attempting to attract businesses to its State. This stupid legislation, high taxes, and your liberals running your State sums up to me that this is one of the last states that I would relocate to. I know there are millions of decent New Yorkers who respect the 2nd Amendment but unfortunately your ruling class sucks. Just curious, any of you New York State wished now that you had not voted for Cuomo or do you still support him? P.S. You forgot to include publishing the names of lawful gun permit holders. BT100dc

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Can I assume that tubular mags are exempt ? i.e. Lever-action or semi autos with tubes that hold more than 10

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

What a bunch of crap coming out of the Empire State. A "Knee-Jerk" re-action and laws that will do NOTHING................Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. skeet_man

Calvin- Tube fed exempted for 22lr ONLY.

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Ian:

It is tough reading, but I will disagree on a couple points. 10 round magazines remain legal to possess even if manufactured after 1994. You just can't load more than seven rounds except at select shooting facilities, competitions etc. It's mags made after the effective date of this new law that are limited to 7.

Also, an 1100, 391 etc. is fine even with a thumbhole stock, or any type of stock for tha matter under the exceptions at (G)(III). Assuming max capacity of 5 shells in magazine of course. AW's don't include semi-auto shotguns with mag capacity of less than 6 regardless of other features. Also excludes any pumps, bolt actions, or lever guns. Semi-auto rifles with fixed mag capacity of less than 6 are also exempt from the definition.

I agree the ammunition seller sections will kill competive shooting unless something can be done to change. Looks like we have 1 year until this part becomes effective. The bill has errors in it that will have to be addressed regardless.

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

God I hate this state's government.

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

There is no prohibition on a NY resident physically going out-of-state and bringing ammunition back in-state. At least not yet.

This will mean that ammunition retailers near the New York state border will probably see increased sales.

The law just controls ammunition sales in-state, or over the internet with a shipping address in-state.

11. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Would anyone have a website address where we could go to find out the details? It is going to be intersting. If/when I am able to retire & move south, I am going to be sure it is a gun friendly state!!!!!

12. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

I'm glad I moved from NY to Tenn. Bob

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

See link above.

This contains a lot of preamble and discussion, in addition to the bill.

14. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Thank you V10.

Snowjet, we did an online survey once that asked a whole bunch of questions about what you would look for in a new place to live & Paris, Tn. came up for us. It's getting closer to that time!

15. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Bob,

You may want to consider South Carolina.

(See link above.)

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

So, as I read, grandfather to grand son, is not immeadiate family. How close do you have to be?

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I actually moved from NY to Idaho, but then moved back. WTF was I thinking?

18. skeet_man

870- You are right, didn't see the 10 round exemption for a shooting range.

I will have to disagree on the shotgun thing:

(B) A SEMIAUTOMATIC SHOTGUN THAT HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING
    CHARACTERISTICS:

(I) A FOLDING OR TELESCOPING STOCK;

(II) A THUMBHOLE STOCK;

(III) A SECOND HANDGRIP OR A PROTRUDING GRIP THAT CAN BE HELD BY THE
    NON-TRIGGER HAND;

(IV) A FIXED MAGAZINE CAPACITY IN EXCESS OF SEVEN ROUNDS;

(V) AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE

So a thumbhole stock by itself is a qualifier as an assault weapon.

As a side note, just ordered 8 more pounds of 223 powder, in addition to 8lbs of pistol powder for a friend (who I'm going to get 1500 more small rifle primers from). Should have enough powder for 3k rounds, enough primers for 2500, and enough bullets for 1400, assuming the 8lb of powder and 500 bullets I ordered recently actually ship.

19. skeet_man

CharlieAMA- From the law, ""IMMEDIATE
    FAMILY" SHALL MEAN SPOUSES, DOMESTIC PARTNERS, CHILDREN AND STEP-CHIL
    DREN."

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I think the thumbhole thing can be overturned easy enough as I know many disabled and amputee vets who absolutely need these to be able to control their guns for recreation and competition

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.