1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

the cost of shooting clay targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by duckeye, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckeye

duckeye TS Member

I can give one good reason for the shoots to be down this year. I went to a shoot this past Sunday and they have raised the cost of practice 1.50 since last year and I was told by a club member that targets were up to them 67 cents a case and they raise the price an additional 1.50 Yet all they say here is that they are doing everything to help the shooters. I wish I could see how this is helping the shooters. Also I think that a lot of clubs are charging way too much for the food. I know they have to make a profit to keep the doors open but they do not have to scalp the shooters. After all the shooters are the ones that keep the doors open. They are entitled to a fair profit but they do not have to rob the shooter.

Duckeye

2. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

What were they charging for food?

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Based on the price of Birds, Gas and Diesel, power, insurance, taxes, and labor, you're getting a deal if they only raised it $1.50 per 100. Offer to donate some time at the club to offset their labor cost or pick up birds for them.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Duckeye,

Then you certainly don't want to shoot at Markham Park in S. Florida. ATA singles are $38/100 including lunch, h'cap and doubles are $27/100. Options are extra. Practice is $7/25. We have no problem with declining attendence in fact attendence is up significantly this year.

Eric

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you have to ask....well, there's always swinging on the front porch!!

This sport is not for those with a skinny wallet.

Curt

6. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

trapshooting is a dying sport and at todays prices it will never rebound. at my club they raised prices also now for a round of 25 costs $12.00 includes shells the end is near.

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Duckeye said they raised the cost of practice $1.50. To me that means a practice round of 25 went up 1.50. Hesays nothing about a round of 100.

8. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

we all need to figure out a way people with skinny wallets can shoot thats about 60% of the country now trapshooting will die

9. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Hey leadman I resemble that remark but I ain't complaining. Headed to the SC State Shoot in the morning.

700 targets await me:)

FRedmon

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I suggest duckeye open a club for us and see what develops with target prices, any employment costs at lawful compensation, workers compensation insurance, property taxes, liability insurance, maintenances of property, buildings, and equipment including throwers, concrete, vehicles and others, electricity, water from government or maintaining a well, and so on then calculating what must come in for a round of targets to cover those expenses. Then we can all enjoy his $2 a round for trap......Bob Dodd

11. TjayE

TjayE Member

Curt said it all. If you have skinny wallet, you do not belong in this sport. The sport of Trap shooting is dying. Attendance will be down this year. Tom

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Lead Man, perhaps some stimulous money to each shooter in the ATA, PITA, NSCA, and NSSA, EH? Where's Tarp money when you need it.

13. smp005

smp005 Member

I don't believe trapshooting is a dying sport. It may be a sport suffering from declining interest, but not a sport that no one can afford. I operate two trap ranges and I see a steady increase in new shooters and weekly returning shooters. Many shooters come out with there 870 and shoot a round or two with a couple friends and then go home. I know golfers that user to play 36 holes on a Saturday - now they may only play 9 or 18 - which around here is just as expensive as trapshooting... Many people have had to cut back but I rarely have people tell me they cannot afford a box of shells and a round of targets...

I know many shooters that spend their vacation at a big shoot - we do.. My son, daughter and I spend the full week at the Ohio State Shoot along with several other big shoots. We don't shoot every event but we shoot everyday of the shoot. I end up spending about as much as I used to spend traveling somewhere on vacation.

This sport, like many, can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want to make it.. We shoot reclaimed lead thru the fall and winter to keep costs down and save throughout the year in preparation for the main shooting season.

Have prices gone up? Yes - without question.. Is $5.00 or $7.00 too much for a round of trap? In 99% of the cases, absolutely not! I know the costs of targets, labor, insurance, grounds upkeep and machine maintenance - no one is getting rich on trapshooting!! Are there ways to reduce costs to keep prices down - yes and I think most clubs work hard to do just that..

For me, volume makes all the difference - I would rather have 100 shooters (read: customers) shoot 1 round than 25 shooters shoot 4 rounds.. The more shooters we bring into trap, the better the ability to keep costs down simply due to the greater potential of more shooters shooting more targets.

Trap ranges do not make money if targets are not in the air.. Having "the regulars" come out and shoot the same couple of rounds each week is good but it isn't great - having a new customer one week bring his or her buddy the next week is great - that is how we grow.. But they must have a good time or they won't come back..

Look at the combat pistol shoots and the sniper shoots, look at sporting clays - people are shooting and they are spending money on their sport. While there are always people in the economic cycle falling on hard times and cutting back, there are others in the cycle thriving and spending more.

Just my thoughts..

Scott Powell
    Trap Range Manager
    North Lawrence Fish & Game
    Copley Trap Range

14. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

I have 3 clubs I have shot at 62 miles 105 miles 145 miles round trip shooting might not be dying but cost so high people can't afford it any way mr. powell who wants to go to the range and just shoot 2 rounds if you can't shoot at least 8 to 10 rounds whats the point. geo 3

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Currently on vacation at the Four Seasons in Manele Bay (Lanai, HI). Part of my vacation package is Sporting Clays shooting at a local club. A $90 voucher covered roundtrip transportation to the shooting club, my choice of rental shotgun, two rounds of Sporting Clays including targets and ammo, and instructor. SC's a much different animal from trap. The facility's top-notch. It was built by Murdoch who I was told owned 96% of the island. This afternoon, we fly to Honolulu where, if possible, I hope to be able to do more shooting. Chichay

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

The costs are a two edged sword. If you charge too much you'll go out of business since you will have no customers. If you don't charge enough you go out of business as well. I have no problem with commercial clubs charging what ever they want. I do have a problem with some of the clubs that seem to overcharge.

I know two clubs that are about 20 miles apart I can pay 2.00 at one and $6.00 at the other. Now the one with the 6.00 is open to the public and the other one you must go with a member. Dues is higher at the club that charges $2.00 but they have less members and throw fewer targets. If you shoot 100 rounds a year the cost advantage is about $250 if you join the club that charges $2.00 a round.

Now both are nonprofit and own the land their expense per target thrown is very similar. I think one over charges and the other probably not enough but @ 6.00 or more a round you don't bring many youth shooters into the game.

The Club that Charges $6.00 seems obsessed with expansion and are always complaining that they want more members.

Different philosophy I know but who does more for the sport I wonder?

joe

17. 3357

3357 Member

Trapshooting is not a cheap sport, it never has been. I calculate that shooting registered targets costs on average $1.00 per bird. That includes shells, target fees, and travel/lodging/food expense.

There are no real corners to cut in trapshooting. You either compete (and pay your money) or try another hobby.

18. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I help with Blue Grass Traps in Wilmore. We have been charging 4.00 for BGSL Trap Division members and recently raised juniors to 3.00 per round. We are a volunteer run club but we do pay trap help. I suspect most clubs have a few who do most of the work in keeping the doors open. At 4.00 per round we will struggle just to buy targets. I know we try very hard to keep our prices down to the bare minimum but there are many expenses that are not thought of by the average shooter such as water , electric, trap maintenance, voice call repairs, etc..

When someone complains about the prices at these small clubs they should remember we are doing the best that we can under trying circumstances. I know at our club the people who do the work of keeping the doors open do not get any compensation nor do they get anything for free. I would like to suggest that if you shoot trap, join a small club and help to make it better.

Charlie

19. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

if the greedy shell company's would bring down the price $3.00 to 3.50 for cheep shells est. rem.gunclubs win.supertatgets ect. and the good shells fed. rem win to 5.00 to 5.50 then paying $4.00 to 6.00 per 25 practice targets would be ok but some clubs charging 7.00 to 10.00 is just greed

20. ClaysNovice

ClaysNovice Member

If you think shooting trap is expensive, then you should try sporting clays. I shoot several rounds of trap because it is still cheap at $7 a round.

The only way I know to grow the sport is to pay for my friends and family to try it once. You just need to get them hooked. Like me, they will start to equate eating out, drinking, golf, etc. into how many rounds of ammunition and targets could I spend that money on instead. I choose to spend my disposable income on targets.

The cost of everything is going up. Just wait for stagflation under our current administration; the increase in the cost of targets will be the least of our worries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay shoots cost

clays to shoot cost

low cost trap targets