1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The cost of reloads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Outdoors Junkie, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

I am just starting back reloading. Was curious do most people do it for the cost savings or because they get the load they want? I know when i load my rifle shells I can tweek them until My groups get tighter. Shotgun loading I am looking for a light recoil ard hitting load for 16
    's and hdcp. I don't think I am saving much money reloading vs going to wally and getting federals for 5.50 to 6.00 a box.

James

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I can load premium Remington STS or Winchester AA copies for a couple dollars less than your Wally World cheap Federals. I also enjoy the loading process.

Matt

3. capulona

capulona TS Member

I was researching this topic and found this website:

http://10xshooters.com/calculators/ShotshellReloadingCost/

based on this spreadsheet (that what it looks like), and the write-up, reloading is a hobby and you really won't save any money doing so.

Any thoughts?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

$3.76/box last time(about a month ago) i figured my loads. Tell me where you can find Factory shells for that. You can't figure your time in or it will cost you $10/box or more depending on how much you value your time.

P.S.Cost calculators i use right here on this site.

Matt

5. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Like many things...it depends. Mostly on your ability to buy components at good pricing. Lead is the big cost factor, but powder, primers now, and wads all enter into the final product.

If you can get together with some fellow shooters at a local club and buy in bulk, generally you can load a very high quality shell at a savings.

Last time I ran the numbers in the reloading calculator, my 1-1/8 oz loads fully funded with hull and all were 3.50 a box. These are STS/Nitro hulls, DR wads, Winchester primer (refused imports...so far), Clays powder and West Coast hard 8's. Of course I buy in bulk, and my current lead cost is 22.90 from purchasing a pallet last summer. If lead does not drop (hoping it will and I will get more next time), the costs will of course go up. But so will the cheap shells.

I enjoy the process almost as much as making them empty again.

6. Outdoors Junkie

Outdoors Junkie TS Member

I feel like someday I will be saving money. The initial cost of a loader bushings so forth add up. But It is fun experimenting with different loads. Doing something that I enjoy is hard to put a price on . Now if I can just learn to shoot this new gun with my reloads I will be happy.

James

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Yes to both questions.

Your reloads will be as good as AA'a or STS's at a lower cost than promo shells.

If you buy primers 100 at a time, powder in one pound cans and wads by the bag you will not save much if anything.

Savings come with buying sleeves of primers, jugs of powder and cases of wads. Go to a major skeet or trap shoot and buy there.

Don Verna

8. sub sr.

sub sr. TS Member

you save and you control the quality and you can check the weight of the powder and shot and you can't find federal gold medal loads at under $4 per box--estate hulls--cheddite primers-claybuster 2118 wads and 1-1/8 shot chrono at 1235 fps---but beyond that reloading is just plain fun

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I figure it costs me about $4 a box to load with premium quality components, more or less. I get a decent load and it's something to do to help keep your sanity.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Junk... (Lotta jokes around that word these days)

I believe you can have a lot of recreational fun using cheapo shells. Estates, top guns, Winny super target, Rem Gun Clubs, Rios, Kemens and the like. Pay $50 a flat and let the hulls fly. But the extra rigidity of the steel base will at some point begin to elongate your firing pin hole and indent the receiver. If you just shoot a couple thou a year, then by all means, shoot new bargain shells. But if you are going to shoot 5 to 10 thou a year thru your expensive gun, then use brass based hulls. Reload those and keep your costs down to about $4 a box on the high side.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Most of the cost of reloading is in the cost of the shot. Reduce the shot cost, and you can make a very good shell for far less than the cheapies. Lead is becoming the new value metal.....

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Instead of lead in your shotshells,many are using gold nuggets. They are cheaper, and rumer has it, they pattern better? Clyde D

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My shells cost me 1.71 per box to load.. I make my own shot..

14. oz

oz Active Member

just go back to the home page and click on reloading (cost of reloads) It has been there forever, works great. oz

15. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

I don't want to know my price per box. I just buy a bunch of components and load as time permits. Grab a few boxes or flats, depending on the task at hand and go have some fun. Since the money for the components was already spent sometime in the past, I do not factor the cost of shells into my costs for a day of shooting. It is just the way I trick myself.

If I bought flats of new ammo I'd just bum myself out...its way too easy to divide by 10

Denial can be your friend.

16. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I just figured mine and came out to 1.72. I make my own shot. Lead I get is free. I load estate hulls once and let them fly. Get them free also. I probably have a good ten year supply of AA,red and silver, sts,nitro, gunclubs.(Free) I seen this comming a few years ago and started buying up primers. collecting hulls. I did buy shot at 18.00 a bag but have been making shot for 3rs now and can't tell the difference between the bought shot or homemade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.