1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The cost of new shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RobPete, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobPete

RobPete Member

I went into my local Dick's sporting goods store(Pittsburgh) and was shocked to see that a box of gun clubs are over $8. I guess it was a shock because I never pay attention to new shell prices....I've been reloading for as long as I've been trap shooting. I have my costs down under $3.10 a box. All I can say is thank God for reloads. Otherwise, with these current ammo prices, I'd have to find a new hobby.......................

2. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

You are right, if i had to buy new shells I too would find another hobby,I did luck out and bought new shells at the grand for 5.30 box but i will use those for special shoots. I like my reloads and they do just as good as new shells.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Just 3 or 4 years ago I was buying new "Gun Clubs" for around $3 a box. I quit reloading when the price was at that level and just shot new. Now I'm back to reloading.

Walmart has the Federal value packs for $20.97. If I have to shoot new that is what I use now.

4. skeet100

skeet100 Member

I went to a Dick's this weekend...I have heard about this deal and that deal...all I saw was stuff priced way more than I would ever pay...like several dollars per box higher than Wal Mart...

5. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

RobPete;
    Loading for under 3.10 a box? How you doing that? Using reclaimed primers and wads? I can’t find enough reclaimed powder to make it worth my wile.

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I would not go into a Dick's store if they were giving them away. One bad experience is enough for me.

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The price of shells has doubled since I started shooting 3 years ago, and I am shooting a lot less. Those who purchased shot and primers in bulk and have it stored away are to be admired.

8. fishguts

fishguts Member

Everybody at my club was talking about Gun Clubs for 4.97 a box at DICK'S last Saturday, they saw it in a sale paper. I stopped there on the way home......6.97 a box. I don't see a sale, a sale paper or even a worker. I walked past the $200 sweatshirts on my way out.

Wayne....

9. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

If you get in the area, the Walmart in Sparta, Illinois still has AA, STS or Nitro's for $7.00 a box. If the $2.00 rebate is still in effect that brings factory shells to $5.00 a box plus tax. Thats cheap now days. Colonel

10. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Thank the Lord for reloads. Mine are running approx. $3.26 a box. 1oz with Clay Dot, Clay Buster wad and Fiocchi primers.

11. RobPete

RobPete Member

Dark Horse - My 16 yd loads are 1oz., remington hull, promo powder, ched primer, and downrange xl-1 wads. I use the same load for doubles.

My handicap loads run a little more per box, but I use green dot and versalite wads. I figured them to be around $3.75 a box.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

A couple of months ago I bought 5 flats of AA Super Handicap shells from Dick's at $7.49/box ($374.50 + 18.73 sales tax). I got back $100 rebate from Winchester and $20 from Dick's. My cost per box was $5.46. But then I took the $120 in rebates and bought five more flats at $7.49 ($374.50 + 18.73 - 120 = $273.23). My total cost per box for the 10 flats was $6.66.

I did not get a great bargain, but I did get some good shells.

Pat Ireland

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My son and I just bought 10 flats of STS shells to take advantage of the rebate program, which brought our cost per flat down to $52. As Devy mentioned, you have to take advantage of specials and such when they are available.

Back when shot started to escalate in price, even I questioned myself when I bought 40 bags I didn't need for $14.75 a bag. And I agreed with those who thought I was nuts for buying 60 more bags I needed even less for $17.50 a bag a month later. The month after that, my family was about to have me committed when I bought 18 flats of STS shells. But today, I was brilliant! "Smartest thing I ever did in a gun shop," I like to say.

Our current inventory is pictured below.

Ed

[​IMG]

14. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

AveragEd, I thought I died and went to heaven with that picture. Good job on the stock piling. Hope with all that lead in one spot that you got some good support in your floor(not being an a**hole just an observation). Joe McGorman

15. 1dudley

1dudley Member

Don't know if they still have them but a month ago the Portsmouth, OH Wal Mart had both STS and AAs for $5.00 a box. Have been in Wal Marts all over the US and this is the first time I found them at that price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.