1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cost of Membership - Think of a 209 Primer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I don't look at it that way.

I look at the membership fee as an investment in the club, rather than doing math to see if it "pays out" to become a member.

I look at my fee as buying time for that club, which is close to my home, to stay open.

And maybe If I keep buying yearly memberships, that club will be open when my grandkids want to learn how to shoot.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I like the way you think "timb". We have already lost too many clubs.

Indy--you do make a valid point but for the most part, i don't think clubs are hiding anything. Usually they need far more than they charge to really operate.

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Interesting way to think about it. But, I too, think others have a more valid point. There are congressional members and a sitting president that would have all our guns. Most trappers and skeeters have more years behind than ahead so the youngsters will decide gun ownership very shortly. We need every range we can get and every young shooter trained by us old geezers!

By the way, our club charges $100 a year and $3.50 for member rounds.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Also get out there & do some volunteer work that will help keep their doors OPEN. Ross Puls

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Think of it this way, I go to the ATM about once a week to get $100 to $200 for 'walking around' money. By the time the week is up, the cash is usually gone and I couldn't really tell you what I spent it on - its just gone.

When I spend that amount of money at the trap club at least I remember having a good time and can look forward to more fun days.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Membership dues at the club should be used to pay the fixed costs to keep the doors of the club open. The price of a round of trap should cover the cost of the targets and the electricity to run the machine. HMB

7. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

whatever the cost of membership and rounds only can be recovered is by more shooting plus long term commitment to the club . Ours is a $100 one time initiation charge plus a $50 per year membeship fee along with 4 range duty assignments per year with the cost of $3 per round which also includes your wife and all children 18 yrs and younger . Non-member rates are $4.50 per round so there is a considerable savings . All members must help when at the range to keep 2 houses going -- scoring and loading since only one person has the duty mainly to set up, take money and break down after shooting is over . You also get 2 free rounds for these duties to use whenever -- that day or another . Mallard Trap Club . WE are non profit and donate a lot of money back to members and the community .

8. grntitan

wolfram--Thats funny. I completely understand what your say'n of course its a little better since i quit smoking and chewing. My wife could never understand where it goes and why i didn't know. She even tried to make me write down every time i'd spend some money. It didn't happen. I like that phrase you used though. "Walking Around Money". I never called it that until now. I always called it "spending money". I'm gonna switch to your phrase. It sounds better. :}

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

HMB seems to thing the price of targets should be around $2/round. When repairs are needed, the volunteer help quits and the traphouses need paint where does he expect that additional income to fall from!!

10. grntitan

Dawg--What does it cost to run a Pat Trap per round considering targets, trap help and electricity? I pay $6/round here. I figured it could be alot worse but really hadn't a clue what it actually costs the club.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dawg, It comes from the membership dues. You get what you pay for. The members at my club work or they pay extra dues. It's called work or pay. HMB

12. oleolliedawg

HMB, your logic defies logic. Any multi-discipline organization would he hard pressed to explain how their dues should be used to subsidize Trapshooting's losses!!

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What trapshooting loses are you talking about. Please enumerate them. HMB

14. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Our club charges $200.00 per year. I feel it is a bargain even at twice that amount. We have 1,400+ acres to maintain. 6 traps, two lighted. 5 stand , 2 sporting clays courses, and two skeet fields ( only one is used due to 5 stand). General purpose range where you can shoot up to one hundred yards and you can use a pistol on this range. 300 yd. long rifle range. We have have it baffled to keep bullets from leaving the property and Range Safety Officers. Black Powder range, Archery, Air Rifle, Pointer setter division, Multiple pistol ranges for pistol shooting and competition, and a youth division. We also have casting ponds for practice and competition. Fishing pond for kids. We even have a kitchen division and farm division which members can participate.

Regarding volunteers, I have found that the same group does most of the work, about 5-10% do any work. We do have roads to maintain and grounds to keep up. If we get some WORKING VOLUNTEERS I would be happy to share some of the load. If you are not helping at your gun club and someone else is volunteering their time and efforts I would advise you to keep your mouth shut, they might quit and then you will have your chance to see how it really works. I guess I should not complain but I pay for every target I shoot and I help to keep the doors open and I get tired of complaining. There, I got it off my chest, I won't whine anymore tonight.

We charge $4.00 a round to shoot and $5.00 for nonmembers. Most people just look at the price of targets to determine if they are charged too much. Well the truth is the AC Clubhouse runs on electric and it costs quite a bit. Water bill, toilet supplies , cleaning supplies, gravel, mowing , insurance, Range safety officers. We got a bill for $5,000.00 for trap repair this past year so that we can throw good targets. Sporting Clays requires new batteries and their traps tear up more, more cost. If we lose Blue Grass Traps, I will probably have top quit trap and shoot Sporting Clays. I love to shoot and I would urge you to be part of the solution at your club and help it run so that you will continue to have a place to shoot.

Charlie Becknell

Lexington, KY

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Green Titan,

I kind of suspect my youngest GSP has been taking cash out of my wallet at night - he is saving up to buy his very own cat ......

16. oleolliedawg

HMB, that's easy. Try going back to your old Accounting 101 course in college. Remember the "T" account-expenses on one side and receipts on the other. There's no way charging $2/round of trap you can make a profit!!

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You still don't get it. Fixed expenses of the club are paid by the members dues. Not by making a profit from trap shooting. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.