1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The correct and safe way to use snap caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 7, 2013.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

My friend Jay uses snap caps. This post is in honor of him in an honest attempt to describe how snap caps should be used safely.

1. They should be used outside.

2. You'll need a bench or picnic table near the 27 yard line of a shooting range to set your gun case on, or you can set it on the ground.

3. You stand behind the picnic table when no one is on a particular shooting range, including trap help, load your snap caps, close your gun and fire it while it is pointed over the trap house.

4. Case your gun and go home.

Did I miss anything?

2. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

Joe - Good start, but yes you missed something, or at least had them out of order.

Move your item 4 to number 1, and go from there.

1. Case your gun and go home.

2. Do what you want with your snap caps at home.

3. joe kuhn

Thank you Sam. That is another way to safely use snap caps from the point of view of the club and other shooters. How to use them safely at home then becomes your problem.

4. joe kuhn

Good points Eddie, but if the shooter involved in the accident had used his snap caps safely, he would have avoided an accident.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It is kind of like a guy stealing gas at night from a parked vehicle, and using a lighter to see how full the gas can is, so he don't overflow. Sometimes the mind just isn't thinking of all of the final results of your actions.

6. joe kuhn

And being human, we all need guidance now and again. Safety is everyone's problem because you might be involved in an accident. This is my effort to understand and improve safety where I shoot. Awareness has been raised, I can assure you of that.

7. joe kuhn

How do you keep snap cap related accidents from happening at your club?

8. us820

us820 Active Member

I think no dropping hammers anywhere except down range pretty much covers things.

9. Clay Target SSE

Clay Target SSE Active Member

When I was a kid, over 55 year ago, we were taught over and over and over again: It's the UNLOADED gun that kills.

IMHO: Snap Caps have NO place at any Gun Club any where. They only give a false impression that the gun is unloaded. Too many times that false impression has nearly killed someone.

10. joe kuhn

Simple and safe. Thanks.

11. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

The safe way to handle a snap cap is have the clear type, never never ever keep it around any shells. Mine is in my gun case (Browning type) and my shells are always kept in my shooting bag. When I'm done shooting I pull the gun out of the rack, take it over to my gun case, put the snap cap in after I have actually looked at it (it's transparent, spring in the middle, and plastic rim), point the gun up toward the ceiling and fire it. If a would ever drom it in a bucket of shell I guarantee I could find it within 30 seconds. Funny, I've never had a snap cap go off. My shells are put away first then about a half hour later the gun. BT100dc

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

If your comments are in honor of me... wrong guy. I use a wooly snap-cap as a firearm storage device to keep my chambers oiled ONLY... I made it clear in previous posts I DO NOT DRY FIRE... period.

Keep actions open, exercise muzzle control and pay attention to what you insert into the chamber...do that the rest falls in line...

Jay

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"The safe way to handle a snap cap is have the clear type, never never ever keep it around any shells"</i>

Uh, I have several boxes of clear hulled target and hunting shells.

So much for that theory.

14. joe kuhn

Jay, your safe use got me thinking from that perspective...

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Joe, I think most clubs have a rule stating that all guns will be open except when in a rack or on the shooting station. Your system wouldn't work at my club.

16. joe kuhn

eightbore,

But break opens need to be closed before they can be taken apart. That happens in the club house right before guns are cased. How do the folks at your club deal with that?

I bought a plastic cutting board this morning and cut out a small rectangular piece to take to the club with me this morning. Will test it out with my friends as a snap cap replacement. Leave the barrels off your gun, put the plastic in front of the firing pins and release the triggers.

17. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

you wont used snap caps anymore once one slips under the extractor.
    I just use a piece of scrap delrin,or a quarter held against the fpin with my thumb.your thumb acts as the spring.

18. joe kuhn

Too easy!

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You could just shoot a Krieghoff KS, KX-5 and release the main spring tension by pushing down on the locking bar release, holding the top lever to the right, and pulling the trigger. No caps, or barrel needed. I know shooting doubles is tough, but the club members do not have to run for the hills. LOL

20. joe kuhn

Try putting one of these in front of your firing pin.

[​IMG]