1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THE CORPS, AND CORE VALUES

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mrskeet410, May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

'Where to start with Douglas MacArthur? To say that he was general of the Army? To note that he was superintendent of West Point? To recall his famous exit from the Philippines and his even more famous return? To cite his role in the occupation of Japan? To refer to his time commanding U.N. troops in the Korean War? To reflect on his firing by Harry Truman? To quote his remarkable "just fade away" speech, interrupted numerous times by applause, on Capitol Hill?...

"Duty ... Honor ... Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying points: to build courage when courage seems to fail; to regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith; to create hope when hope becomes forlorn."

These are the three words most commonly associated with MacArthur, but they trace their provenance back to Sylvanus Thayer himself, and thus when MacArthur chose to make these words the leitmotif of his acceptance speech, he was identifying himself firmly with the grandest traditions of West Point..."

http://news.yahoo.com/corps-core-values-050013018.html

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Sun we had sun and a temp of 75. Very nice day. Today we will have a cloudy day and no chance of rain. High of 70 degree's. Tues and Wed we will have rain and a high of 70.

Whats your weather?

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sunny this morning, hope to get to the range so I can play with my new 1911

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

'"The shadows are lengthening for me. The twilight is here. My days of old have vanished tone and tint; they have gone glimmering through the dreams of things that were. Their memory is one of wondrous beauty, watered by tears, and coaxed and caressed by the smiles of yesterday. I listen vainly for the witching melody of faint bugles blowing reveille, of far drums beating the long roll. In my dreams I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of musketry, the strange, mournful mutter of the battlefield."

He spoke this passage without notes, leaning and bobbing in his customary fashion, deliberately creating the impression that he was no longer speaking from his head, but instead from his deepest sentiments. This was MacArthur showmanship at its greatest, for he had worked for days to memorize these words...

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Raining and cold here in Denver, snow in the high country.

I hate winter.

6. GI

GI Member

Hot in Florida. Semper Fi!

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just saw a great interview & pictures from "Frozen Chosin" The Corp at its best.

Semper Fi

Phil Berkowitz

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

It was storming yesterday and I stayed home from a shoot that was 135 miles away. As luck would have it the weather there was OK so I missed out. :-(

9. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I went to the "reading room" this morning and watched a keet being born.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What outside air temp do you prefer when dropping your shot Auctioneer? Sounds like a good subject to start here.

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

'"Today marks my final roll call with you, but I want you to know that when I cross the river my last conscious thoughts will be of the Corps, and the Corps, and the Corps."

These are the final words of the speech, set up by his remark that in his dreams, "I hear again the crash of guns, the rattle of musketry, the strange, mournful mutter of the battlefield." To our ears this sort of rhetoric is antiquarian, more suited to the days of Rudyard Kipling than to the era of Norman Mailer.

But there remains something intoxicating about the final passage: "the Corps, and the Corps, and the Corps." It possesses a martial rhythm, echoing like shots in the very night that occasioned MacArthur's dreams of guns crashing and musketry rattling...'

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"MacArthur now is a figure of history, his life remembered by few, his achievements studied by fewer. But this speech, given 50 years ago this week, deserves to be remembered as one of the greatest delivered on these shores, and revered beyond West Point and by more than the Corps, the Corps, the Corps."

13. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

A little more rain here would help the solanum lycopersicum plants (aka tomato), can't wait for a BLT... Grubby

14. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

When did I end up in Seattle???

honey, do we have one of those umbrella thingy's????

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Grubby,,,,,,,,I can't wait either. I have to have extra fresh tomatos because I like to munch on them while the bacon is cooking. :)

16. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Pretty hot at Vero Beach yesterday and in my personal opinion the second trap could stand some work, the first trap was good for singlie but the right bird was too low when we shot doubles. I just wanted to help out with the "ball bustin'. have a nice day and I'll see ya all later

17. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Pretty hot at Vero Beach yesterday and in my personal opinion the second trap could stand some work, the first trap was good for singlie but the right bird was too low when we shot doubles. I just wanted to help out with the "ball bustin'. have a nice day and I'll see ya all later

18. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Toolmaker tell me about your new 1911. One of my favorite topics

Cheers,

Jerry

19. revbook

revbook Member

Had my cat in for a check-up on Friday....everything is OK.

Don

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Glad your cat is OK.

To answer your question skeeter410, Its is alittle cooler then the ave for this part of the year but its suppose to warm up here later this month to what its suppose to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.