1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Color of Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IndyShotgun, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Why do many trap clubs not throw targets of the most visible daylight color?

"Yellowish green, chartreuse, is naturally placed right in the middle of the frequencies of visible light. Human eyes have receptors for green, blue and red colors. Being placed in the middle, chartreuse actuates the most of these receptors to fire, making it distinct and easier to spot. For the same reason, in some metropolises, firetrucks have been modified from red to a yellowish green color to make them more visible and obvious to the eye."

http://blogstersguild.blogspot.com/2008/10/chartreuse-is-most-visible-color-for.html#ixzz1cDvl2Nfa

This color has been found highly visible against vegetated backgrounds such that it is now widely used on road warning signs, particularly for school signs.

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/knowledge/faqs/faq_part2.htm#q12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

See also: http://doc.mo.gov/mve/html/Signs/High%20intensity%20signs.htm

2. ctreay

ctreay Member

We tried some this year on practice nights. May order a bunch next year. They even show up good under the lights.

ctreay

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

W. Curtis Walter is still trying to fit in here? Now can you show me how you can claim easy ATA targets? Would that be in your ATA average somewhere? Why is it you got so upset and deleted all your posts last night? I mean pretty weak to tell the group of us to jump off a bridge and then run and hide.

I have a subpar 92% singles average too except mine isn't make believe.

You are a fake Indy.

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

We have tried the Green targets at a number of different clubs. They were, at one time, the Washington State PITA shoot targets. We had so many complaints from the shooters we stopped.

We ordered a shipment of Green at our small club. We kept an overall record of both. The scores went down using the Green. The Green color is not seen as Green by all. A lot of people have some form of a Green/Red color blindness. Our club President sees the Green as dull Yellowish Brown(his words) and hard to pick up.

Ajax

5. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

WTF the shit never stops.

on the other hand, if it were not for idiots like him, what could i possible have to bitch about besides the spokane gun club?

barry kemper

509 429 1563

barry@legendresorts.com

po box 105

oroville, wa 98844

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The problem is with color blindness.

The yellow-green spectrum looks almost white for people with color blindness, especially males. (A rare few may see yellow-green as a very light blue.)

Would you want to shoot white targets against white clouds?

Notice the normal red spectrum. At least those with color blindness are going to see these targets as anything from a dull red to a dull yellow or yellowish brown, any of which will contrast with blue, white or gray skies.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The standard target Orange has been shown to be the most visable against almost all backgrounds since target orange is not a color naturally found in nature. It's also especially visable where the target transistions from a green/brown tree line to sky blue/gray. Target green OTOH works very well under the lights at night. Personally I defer to White Flyer and their years of expertise in the target colors available.

Eric

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

C'mon Eric, how can you compare White Flyer's expertise with the vast knowledge and experience of Curtis, the guy with 0 lifetime registered targets?

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

In our experience green targets produce far higher scores. Green performs best where the background is worst such a solid tree background. Green performs poorly against a sky background or in snow. Regardless of when or where thrown they do elicit negative comments from individuals who seemingly have difficulty seeing 'em at all.

Few shooters realize that the original orange targets were much brighter than todays' as the flourescence was removed from the pigment and replaced with a thin barn orange paint. My understanding is the EPA mandated that change but I can't verify that info.

Nonetheless, statistics at our club show nearly twice as many straights under identical conditions are produced by green targets!!

10. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Has White Flyer published a paper on color sensitivity in the context of target shooting?

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Indy, after you get to shooting some targets you will understand why this is not a color of choice/preferrence. Try shooting it while target is running into a broken cloud background. While trees are changing color. High entinsity light. Also under all lights I've shot, it leaves a streak that emmensley effects scoring. The latter was a promotional note per sales as clubs only needed to stock one target.

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Orange dome targets are the only color we throw. Try shooting here in the south with a dark green pine forest background that's less than 50 yards beyond the traphouse.

One of our resident gurus at the club ordered a pallet of green targets a few years ago and so far trap has shot 2 boxes. We gave it to the sporting clays guys and they won't even speak to us anymore. (really not a problem)

Last year at Tucson I overheard an older gentleman make the comment that
    "the mountains in the background are really hindering me from picking up on the target". The mountains are probably 20+ miles off. I really had to just walk off before I laughed right out loud.

Most trapshooters could make finding a $10 bill a problem.

13. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

All target colors have their pros and cons. In my area, orange with black rims and all orange targets are the most prevalent. We do have one club that throws the green targets and they are very popular.

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

As long as we're talking about color I think Indy should suggest to the NFL about changing the color of footballs to bright orange for night games.

Eric

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good idea Eric as i'm sure he has played as many NFL games as he has ATA registered targets.

16. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I'd like to suggest that baseballs should be changed in color to make them easier to hit. Same with footballs. Wide receivers could catch many more passes.

And bowling pins, too. Those damned white pins can be tricky to knock down.

17. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"Try shooting here in the south with a dark green pine forest background that's less than 50 yards beyond the traphouse."

Done that, many times. That's where the green targets really shine.

Do you thrown orange/black targets against that forest?

18. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

If you refuse to feed a stray dog,in most cases it won't return.

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I like feeding trolls. Eventually you'll figure out why :)

Indy, exactly where have you shot in the south? Careful, I may have been there. Give me 6 clubs and time of year.

20. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

And telling you those clubs that will prove which color is most visible to the human eye, Pheasant? Why would I need to be "careful" about telling you what Southern clubs I've shot at?

Is this really how you people evaluate issues?

Mixer, yes, no sport would ever get rid of its traditional ball color and go with the most visible color to the human eye.

Wait, didn't Tennis do just that in 1973? I'm not old enough to remember white tennis balls, but some people here probably think of that change as "newfangled."

They made the change because players, spectators and television audiences see the yellow-green ball better than the white ball.

Imagine trap with spectators and television audiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.