1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cedar Falls Gun Club......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

The Cedar Falls Gun Club, which is the home grounds of the Iowa State Shoot, now has about a foot of water in the club house. And the river hasn't crested yet. It could go much higher.

I tried to get to it this morning, but because of the flood waters we are having in Northeast Iowa, I could not get within 1 1/2 miles of the place. I tried from the east, I tried from the north and I tried from the south. I didn't try from the west, as I knew that is where the river is and that is where all of the water is coming from.

I wanted to get some pictures, but couldn't get close enough.

Hope we have flood insurance.

To give you an idea of the wide spread flooding, Highway 218 is closed before you get to the curve that takes you north just right out of Waterloo. That road is under water.

Highway 218 2 miles south of the gun club is down to one lane traffic in the south bound lane and they are going to try and keep it open, but they don't know if they will be able to.

Folks, we have one heck of a mess up here in northeast Iowa.

Hauxfan!

2. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I did get in from the west and it was a struggle to get back out as they were closing 57 28 & 218 as I was excaping. The one road I went from on the west had no indication of flooding and 45 minutes later it was running 3' deep across that road. Thankfully for GoldMeyne and a sattelite view of where I was, he was tracking me and also for Kevin Campanella's guidance I got out of there about an hour later. Good thing I had packed the cooler cause I was thinking I would be looking for high ground to sleep on. There will be a lot of cleaning up to do and we will "geterdone".

3. jmas

jmas TS Member

Don't question his SUPER POWERS !

jmas

4. silverado

silverado TS Member

Haux: how do the trap houses and machines do with water that high?

5. Hauxfan

To answer how I know there is a foot of water in the clubhouse.

I couldn't make it out there at 0930, but a friend of mine was there at 0730 and said the water was up on the 1000 gallon propane tank about two feet.
    And the tank sits next to the clubhouse, so I'm thinking at least a foot in the clubhouse and probably more by now.

Plus I did talk to Dan, the manager and he also said it was up at least a foot in the clubhouse.

I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can get any closer, but they have closed 218 north from Waterloo, but not if I go to Highway 58 and straight north and back onto 218.

But I hear that you can go north on 218, but you can't come south. I don't know. It is all messed up.

This is a new high water mark for our area. Unfreakingbelievable!

Hauxfan!

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Haux, The club doesnt keep all the traps in the trap house do they?

7. Hauxfan

Grunt, I don't know. I'll try and find out the answer to your question today and let you know.

I know the Cedar Falls Gun Club probably has some in the houses, but don't know if the state keeps there traps in the house all the time or take them out.

Downtown Cedar Falls has been evacuated.

Hauxfan!

8. mike T

mike T Member

Hauxfan,

If you get to the club how bout some pictures.
    mike t

9. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

We hope the club is all right after the water goes down. You have had it much worse than we have, in our part of Missouri. Good luck with the club. Michael and Jane

10. Hauxfan

You're right Hairy, more rain coming.

I tried to get to the Gun Club again this morning, and I would have made it if I had a 4 wheel drive pickup.

I did see that downtown Waterloo was evacuated because of the water there. I've lived here all my life and had never seen that before. We have something like 7 bridges spanning the Cedar River in Waterloo, and 6 of them are closed to traffic. So it makes it a little hard to get around.

Usually it takes me 22 minutes to drive from my place to the Cedar Falls Gun Club. This morning, because of the circular route and the added traffic, it took me around 45 minutes to get there.

Anybody ever shoot trap in waders before? lol

11. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

haux we are starting to prepare for flooding down here too. the only flat route i can bicycle to work on just closed, so i will be driving to work for a while. water level on des moines river is expected to be 21 ft by monday if we don't get any more rain. in 1993 it was 22 ft. yesterday we had 2 small jobs in iowa city and then we went to keystone for a complicated counter top install. when we left keystone at about 8pm we went over to hiway21 which was closed just south of bel plain. we ended up going clear back to 151 to get headed south again and water was only a foot to a foot and a half from road level there. looks like we will have our 2nd 100 year flood in 15 years. jackmitch

12. Hauxfan

Jack, up here they aren't calling it the 100 year flood. It has been upgraded to the 500 year flood. God, I'd hate to see the 1000 year flood....lol

Water everywhere up here and it is raining as I write this.

Hauxfan!

13. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Hauxfan: How would it be for Ron & Ruby down in Reinbeck as it is only 6am it is a little early to give them a call from down under.Hauxfan you seem to be off to a very early start 5am are you going to work? may be by boat by the sounds of the conditions hope all are safe.

Kind Regards Stubbie aka John Holder

14. jmas

jmas TS Member

Stubbie - PLEASE don't use the words "Hauxfan" and "work" in the same sentence.

jmas

15. Hauxfan

Okay, Jmas, give me a break..........but Jmas has it right. I've been looking for work since 92 and I just haven't found the right position for me......lol

As for getting on early, I get on just about the same time every morning, which is 0330 our time. People die in bed don't you know........lol

Stubbie, Reinbeck should be okay as far as the water goes. No problems there.

But I did check with the manager of the Cedar Falls Gun Club this morning, and he said all of our traps were submerged. The water got up as high as 2-3 feet on the doors of the main club house.

I've heard mention by someone and I won't say any names that maybe there won't be a state shoot this year.

I can't see that happening. The State Shoot is still 6 weeks away.

Regards..........Hauxfan!

16. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

The water has receded, we will do whatever possible to have a state shoot. As long as we have a dry house to put a machine in we will have a state shoot. I have seen personally the damage, I was there watching the water rise and it is not near as critical as we thought a couple of days ago. "Big" himself walked up and down the entire trap line today. We have been in contact with Pat Trap and the news is good. We will begin work immediately. You tell the person who is stating that there will be no state shoot to not spread any more rumors and if he wants to know exactly what is or has happend to contact myself, Jon Peterson or one of the members of the state association "WHO DOES KNOW WHAT IS GONG ON", not just heresay.

17. Hauxfan

Beerking, I told the person that there would be a state shoot. No question in my mind.

He may have been joking when he said that, but having no state shoot is not a joking matter.

Glad to hear that there doesn't seem to be as much damage as it looked.

Hauxfan!

18. once fired

once fired Guest

If anybody can get a State Shoot up and running a few weeks after a disaster like this, the folks in Iowa will get it done.

Lynn Gipson

19. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Thanks Lynn, most of the time we seem like like we are small but in the long run we are mighty. As Jon said today, traps and shooters and we will have a state shoot. We will continue to do as we say the best "STATE SHOOT IN THE LAND".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cedar falls gun club flood

cedar falls gun club flooding photos
cedar falls trap club
has the iowa state trap shoot always been in cedar falls