1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cardinal Center Was Ours

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by docbombay, May 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

The Cardinal Center Was Ours

It probably had to do with the fact that the exit ramps on
    I-71 to the Cardinal Center were closed both going north and south. Undaunted, I and two of my shooting buddies made the pilgrimage up the interstate to shoot some practice prior to the Buckeye Classic. We negotiated some narrow county roads and found a new "back door" to the center.

When we arrived there were three other guys shooting and they were just finishing up their round. They left before we got all of our "stuff" out of the trunk. And there we were, the only shooters. We had this magnificent venue all to ourselves. It was eerie. We shot five rounds in the wind and had a blast.

I took some photos to share with you guys. For identification, I am the rather large individual in the middle, lol.

docbombay_2011_020126.jpg

And here is what it looks like to have this great facility all to yourself.
    docbombay_2011_020128.jpg

docbombay_2011_020129.jpg

Hope to see many of you at the Buckeye.

Doc

2. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Doc: Thats not unusual. i live about 15 mi from the Cardinal. Go there alot on Wed/Thur. Many times we are the only ones there. Rarely more than 10 folks. Pretty nice huh??

3. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

Its also nice when there is 1000+ people there.

4. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Can't wait!

blade819

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see that going to such a large facility and being the only three there is a good thing. A facility like that should have a bunch of shooters at any given time when they are open for practice.

6. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

18 days
    Doug Allison

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Duh, it's Friday. Some of us work!

8. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

If I was closer I would no doubt shoot there more than the 3 shoots that I attend....Ron

9. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

The bad thing is, other than the 3 big shoots, there are no other organized trapshoots at the Cardianl. I was told they were going to do leagues, and some weekend ATA shoots, but I havent heard anything lately.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Mikkeeh, that's the bread and butter of the small local clubs.

support your local clubs...

11. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"Mikkeeh, that's the bread and butter of the small local clubs.

support your local clubs... "

I understand that.....but thats about the only "game in town". Its about 15mi to Cardinal from my house......the next closest club that shoots any ATA is Lancaster, 105 mi round trip. One nearby club shoots protections a couple nights a month......but thats it. The area NEEDS a local place to shoot regularly. I know Cardinals sporting clays course gets alot of activity tho.

12. Setterman

Get a group together and talk to Cardinal about leagues and such. If no one approaches them, how do they know there is interest?

They have to provide labor to operate the place, so it has to be worth their time. I have to believe there are enough trap shooters near Columbus to warrant more shooting.

13. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

When we passed two weeks ago the road construction at the exit looks like it's gonna be a while before we're gonna gain access via I-71. Can anyone provide drections from the Columbus area for the Buckeye?

Thanks...mike

14. mitchie17

mitchie17 TS Member

The ramps will be open in about 10days from today.. They are working 7 days a week from sun up to sun down to get the ramps completed. They will shift the traffic to the newly completed side of the bridge and then start on the other side. Trust me Jack Fishburn and the construction crew talk everyday and they are fully aware of the buckeye shoot that starts at the end of the month and are working really hard to get the road open by then.

15. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I took my 5th wheel up to camp this weekend. The route from Columbus is to take Hwy 3 to 61, the N on 61 to the wide spot in the road called Fargo - turn left on 15 (red barn) that goes about a mile and crosses I-71 - take the first right after crossing the freeway and that will take you right into the back door at Cardinal. Quite a few practice shooters today.

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

From their website and from what else I read, the Cardinal Center sounds like a great place. But from the website it seems to be closed more than it is open. Would think that with that much capital investment one would keep it open 24/7 365.

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Shot some practice yesterday (Sat.) and they had a pretty big crew working on the concrete sides.

As Mitchie said, with the influence that Jack Fishburn has in Morrow county, along with what I would suspect would be incentives to finish early, I would bet it will be open.

Also, the mild winter has treated the grounds with much tenderness.

Regards....Gerald

18. Setterman

The first sporting event this spring was sold out. The new manager is doing a great job from what I've heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.