1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Blues Street

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slipping into darkness, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Want to take in Memphis & Beale Street on a side trip and feast on the Ribs that are to be so good, any suggestion, I've heard there a lot of pan handlers??

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I use to go to the "Memphis Blues Festival" during my running around years. It is a neat city and Beale Street is one to see especially in the evenings with the clubs full of people and a band. I love Blues music so i enjoyed it. The problem with Memphis is they have their share of street people and crime but not unlike any other city. They have some really rough areas but you wouldn't be visiting any of those areas anyway. I don't recall an over abundance of street people and i certainly wouldn't let that deter your trip. There are alot of neat site in Memphis to see. Don't forget to stop in BB Kings Blues Club and Mud Island.

3. Keith Uffelmann

Keith Uffelmann Member

Be careful where you park, especially at night. Might be best to use a pay lot or parking deck. Don't leave anything that would attract attention visible in the vehicle. Van got vandalized Thanksgiving week of 09. I grew up in the Memphis area and things have changed DRASTICALLY. There are only about three blocks of Beale St that are the tourist attraction. Not really much worth seeing in my opinion.

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've been to Beale St a couple of times. Wouldn't hesitate to go back, with a rifle company. LOL 2 person recon team? I would have to think about that. If I did I wouldn't get to far from the drop zone.

Is this a day trip or an overnight? If it is an overnight I would get a room in a nice hotel downtown (drop zone) and park the car in their garage and walk.

Take plenty of money. Beale St is just one clip joint after another, all have cover charges and pricee drinks. I quit going and having fun when I figured every cover charge was a bag of shot, and every round of drinks for myself and lady friend was another bag, and dinner in a nice restaurant was 5000 primers. Of course that was back when I was paying $12.50 a bag for shot. Is it any wonder I'm single again?

If you are going in for the day I would take the Graceland tour and then hit a B B Que place for something to eat, then get the heck out.

Have fun, but remember Memphis is rough.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I should add, i haven't been to Memphis to party and visit since the late 80's to early 90's. Obviously things change and from reading some of the other posts i see things have changed for the worse in Memphis. I also only went during their Blues Festival and security and Police presence was large. That probably helped to keep down the crime in the festival area.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There is one very famous Hamburger place in Memphis. I can't recall the name. Using hounded year old grease, their hamburgers are outstanding. I've seen it on the travel channel. I would stop there.

7. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

B.B.Kings had the best ribs I've ever had in a restaurant (mine are better). Don't forget to go over to the Peabody around 4:00 pm to have a drink and watch the mallards go up the elevator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.