1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Better Shotmaker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JWS, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWS

JWS Member

My machines are still in stock, ready for shipment.
    The Grand American will be over soon and many shooters are looking at stocking up on their homemade shot for the next shooting year. What better time to begin the process of making more shot than Fall when the weather is cooler (in some parts of the country) and one has a little spare time to put up all of the shot they will need for the year.

I also am enjoying the questions I have received in regard to melting copper and steele; do I have a reostat on my machine (the answer is no); is there a learning curve to making shot(the answer is yes); whats the best coolant out there ( Crop Oil Concentrate-Field Grade since it does wash off with water); and do I suggest what type of drop pan, washing system, and drying system one might use.

In the area of providing a video on how my machine actually works, I still leave that up to people who are far more computer savy than I am. There are many video's out there and some are by people that have created their own machines (great promising inventors) that I commend. One does not invent a workable protype overnight. I have been improving my machine for over 40+ years.

So keep your email and telephone calls coming. I can reached at 256-587-0107 or leave a name and phone on my recorder (I do not have Caller ID) and i will return your call.
    Shotmaker
    James Stewart

2. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

I wonder how many would you need to make to coupe the price of the machine, then what savings would you have afterwasrds?
    railroad

3. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

mine not only paid the $700 inital investment(shot maker & other equipment) in the first year,but the shot i was selling paid for alot of free targets and shells.my first machine was a single ladel better shot maker dropping 40+ lbs per hr,i ran over a ton with it in the first year,shot 30-40%of it and sold the rest,that was when factory shot was going for $16-$20/bag,sold mine for $15/bag.follwing spring i up graded to a single black max and now get 90+ lbs per hr. and i had the machine just before shot prices went through the roof,ive dropd 2-3 tons with it in the last 2 years and havent had to pay for targets or shells since.i work for a large automotive group (16 yrs)and get all wheel weights from 11 locations tire changers.so i have a continus supply of weights.mark jones

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

NSrailroad, if Obama gets his way you will either wish you had one or you will be happy as hell have one. Buy one and be ready for whats around the corner. I have my lead and my shot maker.

5. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

up for lead shot.

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Auctioneer: Bullet makers may be the future fad.

Plinker: If we all had resources for lead as you do we'd all buy a shotmaker.

7. JWS

JWS Member

ttt

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Why have you not put a thermostat/rheostat on it? Temperature control seems to be the one thing most people ask for wherever shotmakers are discussed.

Bob

9. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

WHOA. Hold on. This is a new one to me. Sounds like a machine to make your own shot. I'm definately interested. Any websites or more info available.

10. JWS

JWS Member

BOB: My shotmaking machine doesn't need a thermostat or reostat. Its not a Littleton. Have you seen any of the people that have one of my machines complain about having to regulate the heat? I have seen many a post(and not just on TS.com) from people who have put their own machine together talk about regulating the heat. I have spent over 40+ years engineering a machine that you don't have to do that. Give me a call at 256-587-0107 and we will talk.
    Shotmaker
    James Stewart

11. JWS

JWS Member

STEVE: You can look at my web page for what I have to offer. You can also call me at 256-587-0107 and we can discuss your needs for a shotmaker. I don't sell machines just to sell them, I want you to be satisfied with the results.
    Shotmaker James Stewart

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jim, your reputation speaks for itself, and besides, I think Mr Littleton is somewhat overwhelmed now in his new, 150-nozzle enterprise ...

My only interest is in making BiSn shot, not lead, it is a more casual than active interest, as I have a stock of Bismuth shot on hand.

Bob

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

As I understand it, Mr Littleton is making all of the 'new' Bismuth shot that Precision Reloading and BPI (?) will be (shortly) carrying ... $175/3kg, and he is using a multi-multi-multi nozzle machine.

That is a 2nd hand story, twice removed, but I have heard it from 2-3 people familiar with the operation.

There are some special issues making BiSn shot, and a lot of one-off problems, especially making large, round shot, and it's not clear yet that Mr Littleton has solved all of them.

Bob

14. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

dave p. start getting&saving weights(most scrap yards at.20 cents/pound now if you cant get for free) ,and youll be abel to supply yourself and a few friends with shot in no time if you have the set up.dont tell too many people though,unless you are ready with lead,im lucky to have a reserve of 25-30 5 gal. buckets on hand at all times(i add 4 buckets/mo)but if my reserve gets to 20 buckets all sales are off.mark jones

15. JWS

JWS Member

Bismuth shot is a different animal than lead shot. My machines are only for lead shot. Anyone is free to call me any time. If I am not in the shop I will return your call as soon as possible if you leave your name and telephone number ( I do not have Call ID).

Shotmaker- James Stewart

16. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Mr. Stewart just wanted to let you know that Todd and I enjoyed coming down to Scottsboro Monday and getting to see your shotmaker in action. Very nice looking shot!! Can't wait until we get our Black Max set up and running. Will make the winter a little less boring and this wonderful world of trapshooting a little less expensive! Take care! By the way guys, you couldn't ask for a nicer person in Mr. Jim.

Stacey

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

A couple of things . Anything that is in the line {thermostat} reduces the power to the burner. A shotmanker is not like casting bullets. You want the lead as hot as you can get it.There was a few questions asked about use of zinc shot . I have messed with some wheel weights and so far i have found that a shot maker {as we know them} will not work. I did make one that works {to a point] I would guess that the bismuth is the same . The problem is it has to be very hot. I am going to try something later this winter an see how it comes out. Anyone want to sell their zinc ones?--ragebhardt@msn.com-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.