1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Better Shotmaker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JWS, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWS

JWS Member

Its still fashionable to make your own shot.

My machines are still in stock and prices have not changed.
    Dripper sizes 6, 7 1/2, 8, 8 1/2, and 9's are available in Single Drippers.
    Dripper sizes 7 1/2, 8 , 8 1/2, and 9's are avaiable in Double drippers.

Shipping rates have not increased and are quoted at time of order.
    I can be reached at 256-587-0107.
    James Stewart
    Shotmaker

2. 686

686 TS Member

with the price of lead comming down and easer to find, some free, it would be a good time to get in to shot making. i have 3 of jimmy stewert set ups and love them. i made some # 7 1/2 last weel with the black max w/ double drippers. i was getting 97 lb per hr. the most important thing is to have good clean ingots. have fun.

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

How much of the wheel weights are made of something other than lead these days?

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Was getting tires the other week before going South and my tire guy said wheel weights have alot of antimony in them and to wear a respirator when melting them. He said that it is particularly toxic. I was under the understanding that lead weight fumes weren't overly bad unless you heated the lead to about 900 degrees which is way beyond what you need to heat/melt lead. I don't make my own shot (yet)...Am I missing something?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

as with driving a automobile,shooting a gun,operating heavy equipment,flying a airplane,doing surgeory,living life to its fullest,or anything eles that may be hazordus,use your head,and if all else fails ask questions first,after making 5 + tons of shot i hope i did every thing rite,no regrets,still enjoying my stewart black max,mark

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Again I ask the question of how much of the wheel weight made today are lead? Is it worth the effort to collect them?

7. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Again I'm no expert but I know of several lead melters that use all the wheel weights they can get their hands on. 221 I'm not afeared of the TS.com crowd, they're pretty well behaved most of the time. I'm not afraid to melt lead either. Just like anything else, you find out the correct procedure, follow it and enjoy your results.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

8. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

20-30% in a 5 gallon bucket are junk weights,mark

9. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

Your molten lead will begin to off gas at about 950 degrees. Don't turn up your flame under your melting pot just because some of the wheel weights don't melt. remove them immediately. They could be Zinc, steel, or babbit and they will make your molten lead turn orange, then gold, then blue. You need to take them out before you start melting if you can. Strip weights are mostly babbit and will not melt good. Babbit won't run through your drippers either.

So keep your flame under melting pot the same level all the time. Skim off weights that won't melt and throw away. There are 20%-30% unusable weights in a 5 gallon bucket. Sort through before melting.
    Ellen

10. JWS

JWS Member

^^^

11. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

My Dad used to melt lead on the kitchen stove for his Walleys pinkies.

12. JWS

JWS Member

ttt

13. JWS

JWS Member

^^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.