1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The BEST trap gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fortycaliberglock, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

I shot my first ATA registered targets, 200 singles, in Virginia this past weekend. I certainly didn't win anything, but I did what I think is ok for my first time out, 190. I'm hooked. I've been praticing with, and shot, a 3200 I bought from a friend. It's a great gun I plan to keep for bunker, or perhaps have Briley chokes added and use for clays fun. After participating in a shoot, and watching the truly good shooters, I can see why many use highly specialized guns. It's all about fit, which provides consistency. Knowing full well there is never consensus, what do you feel is absolutely the BEST trap gun on the market? Ljutic? Seitz? K-80 single? Thanks for your advice.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

3. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

you are about to get 100 different answers. Good Luck! but here is my 2 cents.. the one you have. Sounds like you did pretty darn good if that was truely your first time out.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.... but I have never shot a registered trap target in my life, so i officially don't know sh!t lol

Paul

4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

There is no answer...the best trap gun is the one YOU shoot best.

But...if I have to pick a brand it would be a tie between Krieghoff and Perazzi. They are slightly different animals and which one is best depends on what type of handling fits your shooting style.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You first have to look at service. If your at a big shoot and your gun breaks down who will fix it? The top guns that everyone will work on are to me K-Guns, Perazzi and Browning. If the gun can't be fixed at a shot then you have a problem.

I started out with a 870 pump. I later bought a trap barrel for it. I was given to use but to only barrow a BT-99. I later picked up a Browning Broadway and then bought a Rottweil which I'm still shooting today. Work up the ladder and buy as you go. I will in time be buying a Perrazi. I have been shooting for almost 30 years. I just don't want you to go out a buy a $10,000. gun and then wish you didn't. Work your way up and you just might be happy with a lesser gun.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

You just answered your own ????? the one that fits YOU, that 3200 is one very fine gun and if you can break scores like that with it why change???? Spend that money on more shooting & a good teacher (coach). Welcome to a very addicting sport, enjoy. Ross Puls

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Start off with the best. Get a MX2000

8. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

The good thing about high end guns, is that they don't really cost anything most of the time.

If you buy right, the gun will be worth more or at least the same as when you bought it, when it comes time to sell.

My thought, then, and what I did, was buy the best gun I could gather enough cash for, knowing that it was "money in the bank".

Don't wait. If you buy a top end gun, you will enjoy it more everytime you pick it up. And if you shop around and get a reasonable buy on it, it won't cost you a dime to own it.

Your money is in a gun savings account, and you get to use it without losing value.

(My recommendation is a K-80, but all the top end guns a good guns if they fit you).

9. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

MIA, I have an MX-8 clays gun, which I loved, until I bought the 3200. I've found that platform feels better, for me, than the Perazzi. I'm considering selling the MX-8 and focusing on trap. Clays and skeet will be for fun. Trap feels more like a mission...ha! The 3200 does fit me well, but if there is one criticism, the comb feels thin. On the line, I am searching each time for the proper mount. That said, I've been having a blast and really do like the gun. I can see spending way too much money on shells and targets this year. My goal is to shoot the requisite number of registered targets and perform decently at the 2012 Grand. I want to settle on a gun soon and have 10-11 months to shoot it before next year. Cheers, Joe

10. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I have Krieghoffs,Perazzi's,Ljutic's,assorted win's and brownings,and the one I shoot best is a 60 year old Ithaca 4E.Shoot what fits.The minute you start changing guns,you can kiss that 190 away.It's a long road back.

11. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

870 Rem and BT-99, used Win 101 for doubles with 32" full choke barrels none ported. Save your money shoot the 3200 till you drop dead. OK, I still have my Dad's Model 12 Trap 1950.

Best regards,

Harry Lyga

12. JACK

Like I said. get a MX2000

13. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Your Hunt for The Best Trap Gun...will be broken Down into Several Brands..Once you decide your Price Point. There will be Plenty of OPINIONS when the MONEY Meets the ROAD. Anything from a BT99 to a Holland & Holland Single Barrel...All Great guns in their Own Right..Good Luck with your Hunt. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

14. JACK

The best value in quality trap guns is a used MX15. often found and usually in goodshape.

15. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I agree with most things stated above. What you shoot best is the right gun. I feel the best buy available today is a used Ljutic Mono Gun. But if you can not hit with it it would be a poor choice. The same applies to any P or K gun, or whatever. Try to shoot before you buy. Marc

16. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

everyone is different. shoot what works for you, and be happy with what you are shooting. There are no magic "arrows" it is the indian who gets it done.

17. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have been shooting registered trap for nearly 50 years. Some 30 + years ago I decided to start shooting doubles. I was at The Grand in Vandalia and decided to ask the gunsmiths, "which guns break down the least?". I shot 10-12 months a year back then and I did not want to be troubled with a broken gun and no one to repair it. This was in the "hay day" of trap and there would be 12-15 gunsmiths at Vandalia. The unanimous choices were: for singles and handicap, the Ljutic Monogun, for doubles, a Browning Citori II.

I am a lefty and Browning never made a stock to fit, so I never owned a Citori, I have shot Perazzis and have had breakage over the years, nothing terminal but it can be a pain. I shot a Ljutic for several years and it was extremely reliable and I never had a problem, I probably should have kept it. Like most of us, a different gun will break 1 more target. I think the most important money a serious shooter can spend (NOT INVEST) is for a properly fitted stock. It will reduce recoil, insure proper mounting and break more targets.

Leo Harrison & George Snellinberger both shot 1100s many years ago, so remember it's The Indian, not the arrow.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Don't sell anything till you know how the new gun shoots. If you sell the old gun and it turns out you don't like the new gun you might regrete selling the old gun. You also might not be able to get the old gun back.

19. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

For a SBT gun, I prefer Ljutic. To me, they are simply the best gun for that discipline...

For doubles (which is a new discipline for me), I've decided after some research and talking with a few of the top shooters in my area to purchase a used Perazzi MX3 Combo. I was looking for an MX3 Special, but a nice used Combo came to my attention and I picked it up. To date, it certainly is a nice O/U and seems at home shooting doubles: quick swinging, well balanced, and quality throughout. I hope it fulfills the purpose as a doubles gun. And if it does, I'm done. Ljutic for singles and handicap. Perazzi MX3 for doubles.

Regardless of what you like, find a good used gun. In many cases, Top shelf guns can be found that are shot little and stored a lot. These are the ones you want. Cya....

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As stated, mx15.

as to leo and George, one has to wonder why they don't shoot 1100's now.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.