1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THE BEST PROGRESIVE LOADER???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by STS / NITRO 27, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STS / NITRO 27

STS / NITRO 27 TS Member

I am a new member to trapshooters.com but have read many threads and could not find one to answer my question. I have a Dillon SL900 shotshell loader and i am thinking of selling it or just going on ahead and buying a press with hydraulics. What is the best progressive loader on the market when it boil's down to hydraulic presses? Is it MEC or PONSNESS-WARREN or SPOLAR?

Thank you for your time and response!
    Ryan Weisheit

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

The best is Spolar. A lot of money - but it will last a very long time. (I have one)

The MEC is a "Best Value", if you don't mind stamped steel parts and watching the primer drop). (I had one and gave up on it after 3000 rounds)

The PW is between them and a very good press (I have one with the case feeder).

I had a Dillon too, and sold it after loading 500 rounds.

Don

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

How many can you crank out in an hour on the Dillon? Do you have the casefeeder for it and the 25lb shot hopper?

Forrest

4. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Spolar

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

There are about 20 people on this web site who do not use MEC reloaders. You will hear from all of them.

The rest, the vast majority, 1,000's of us, use the MEC, the standard by which the others are judged. Get the MEC 9000 series, add the ATS option and you have a world class reloader. At an economy price.

6. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

My MEC hydrallic has been cranking out beautiful reloads for many,many moons. All without a hitch.

7. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I mean hydraulic.

8. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

There's lots of reloaders on the market Spolar, Dillon PWs, And MECs. They all produce quality shells. The trick is being smarter than the tool and understand the reloading process. Buy what you can afford and press on with pride.

Jim

9. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Been using a Mec Grabber since 1987, loading about 20,000 rounds a year. In my opinion this is a very good progressive reloader. Mec through he years has improved upon the grabber and came up with the 9000 series, the manual model 9000GN and the hydraulic model 9000HN.

Check them out at the URL above.

Frank

10. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Spolar. I don't have one, but I'll always wish I did. That doesn't mean other brands aren't sufficient for the task. The question was "Which is best?".
    Dave

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think a MEC 9000G powered by an Auto-Mate is the best combo.

The 9000G is an inexpensive machine that will load as nice a shell as any of them and do it for less. Yes, it might require a new part now and then but for the cost difference, I can forgive that.

The Auto-Mate, which is now being marketed by MEC, is an electric operating system that is less costly, much quieter and much more portable than any hydraulic system. There's no hose clutter and no chance of it springing a leak.

But others will have their favorite, too.

Ed

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The most qualified individuals to comment as to which is the "best" reloader are the ones who've tried them all.

SPOLAR!!

13. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

If you plan to use it for a long time go ahead and spend the money and buy a SPOLAR!
    You will not regret it Top quality
    Rooferbob

14. STS / NITRO 27

STS / NITRO 27 TS Member

CHEAPER I DON'T KNOW ABOUT. TELL ME IF I AM WRONG BUT I BELIEVE THE ATS SYSTEM IS 499.00 WHERE I CAN GET A WHOLE HYDRAULIC 9000 SET UP FOR 799.00. IS THIS WRIGHT?

15. STS / NITRO 27

STS / NITRO 27 TS Member

ROOFERBOB

IS THE SPOLAR FAST WITHOUT THE CASEFEEDER? WOULD YOU RECOMEND A PRESS WITH A CASEFEEDER?THANKS!

STS / NITRO 27

16. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

The Spolar is as fast as you are.The most amazing thing is that every time you pull the handle or hit the pedal it will make a perfect shell, no matter what kind of hulls you are using. The only trouble I've found is using Remmington primers, sometimes they get turned and jam in the primer feed. Easy fix I use Winchester primers!

17. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

There is a guy(I can't remember his name that used to post here) from Georgia that converted a PW hull feeder to work on a Spolar. He also made a wad feeder for the same press. Todd

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There's probably no doubt that a Spolar is the best loader you can buy. Now, best for the money? In most people's opinions, that goes to MEC and I've had a few loaders over the years.

Which one's fastest? I don't know and didn't think that was part of the original question.

Even if an Auto-Mate did cost exactly as much as a hydraulic system, I'd still prefer the Auto-Mate - and I've used both. In fact, I might even pay more for one.

Ed

19. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Dillon , once you do Blue you'll never go back . Jay

20. STS / NITRO 27

STS / NITRO 27 TS Member

John Malcom

I understand completly what you are trying to say about enjoying reloading and taking your time but........ I work 6-7 days a week,I have a 9 month old boy,a 2 year old daughter,and an 11 year old step daughter who plays on two different baseball teams! Oh I forgot about going to school as well 2 nights a week at Purdue University finishing my mechanical engineering degree! See why I want to reload faster??? By the way, I have a dillon 650 progressive press that I load rifle and pistol on and wouldn't trade it for the world.There is just not enough time in the day to have to worry about "learning" the press and trying to powder its little bottom in order for it to operate smoothly like other shotshell loaders!

Ryan AKA STS / NITRO 27 INDIANA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.