1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The best choke tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bakergun, Dec 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

Gentlemen
    I know this has been talked about before but I am a little slow. can some one please tell me who make the best I repeat who makes the best choke tubes and why do you think so. Thank you for any input.
    Pete

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Just use the thread search on this site and all your questions will be answered!

ss

3. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

short sucker thanks but I tried that

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Tom Wilkinson hands down . Why well his tubes are fit to your barrel and do not interchange with any other barrel . Also Tom shoots his tubes in your gun to make sure it patterns like you need .

You ask for the best and the best cost money . A set of Wilkinson tubes (2) in a full choke barrel is a little over $600.00 .

The other guys make tubes that will work in your gun not fit to your gun . The other guys tubes may not shoot any better then the tubes that came with it .

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

ALF-99,

Comp-N-Choke will sell you a set of bore matched tubes at no extra cost. All you have to do is supply them with the bore diameter and they will get you fixed up.

They even do custom sizing for no charge. I wanted a .028" choke for one of my guns and gave them the bore diameter. 2 weeks later it was at my door.

ss

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Short Shucker I guess it,s ok but I did,t have tubes in the barrel and bakergun ask about THE BEST . Maybe Wilkinson is not the best but his tubes are the best I have tryed . Winkinson does a square thread that don,t
    loosen up as you shoot . Also I have never seen the out side of the tube dirty it just fits . I have two tubes a .035 and .024 the full choke shoots 96% and works very well .

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

bakergun, until this morning I would have thought your question unanswerable. While all those mentioned above do fine work, I still doubt that any of the previous posters, promoting his or her favorite, would have any luck at all looking at a pattern (or counting one or several, for that matter) and naming the choke-worker.

But that was then, as they say. A post by 4.th down yesterday sent me to page 87 of Trapshooting USA's newest offering, and an article by Roy Lambson and his visit to the makers of Extreme Chokes.

This bit caught his eye, and mine too:

"The firm tells us that in recent tests the results were far above average. At 70 yards with a 12ga on a steady rest, shooting a 1oz Fiocci 7 1/2 they were able to obtain a 98 percent shot pattern."

That is, I think any here will agree, Performance with a capital B.

Neil

8. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Well stated, Neil.

Received an email from Extreme. Looks like in the rush to make print deadline, the journalism suffered - they forgot to mention the pattern was 4' x 4' and it was done at 50, 60, and 70 yds. with a take-off on an extended turkey choke.

As usual, nothing new - Merry Christmas to all.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What do you mean by the best. What are you looking for in the best. There are many of the best tubes out there.

I have a set of dead on the money in I.D. and concentricity of Beretta factory extended Optima tubes. Are they the best? I don't know. Would a $120.00 custom tube with the same measurements be better or if it was .0003 off would it still make it better.

You might find that your factory tubes may be better than what someone is trying to pawn off on you for 4x the price. If you're gonna go after market spring for a Briley and keep the rest in the bank. If you run 20 targets and drop the 21st, I doubt it's a tube issue.

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Really Spanky You need to do some reading . New Ljutic tubes are over 100 bucks Krieghoff about the same Perazzi don,t know. I can order a tube from Wilkinson to fit my gun for around 50 bucks .

But you are correct factory tubes may be just ducky .

11. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Wrights # 8 in my Beretta 686, are pretty good,the IM Flush Beretta tubes furnished make me wonder why look further ?

Craby

12. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

There are lot of "best" out there - everyone that shoots tubes have their favorites for some reason or the other---if you are interested in tubes - talk to Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy, Jones, OK..........he will tell you the truth and can make a great tube fit to your gun bore.

13. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Yeah, I got carried away about the price thing but, you get the point. I'm not about buying the cheapest tube in the racks or out of a catalog but sometimes an inexpensive tube will throw one hell of a pattern.

I have this Benelli SuperNova I love to hunt with. It only came with an improved cylinder, modified and a full. This gun might resemble some Terminator looking thing but this is a heck of a shooting gun shotgun. I wanted to fill the voids in my tubes and picked up a few Carlson flush and extended tubes for it. They put out a great factory style tube. I was impressed how the looked on paper, on targets and in the field.

I realize this isn't a target gun. And the Carlsons are good enough for my field use and occasional target use of this gun. I like the Brileys I use in my Brownings but, I may give the Carlson Sporting Grade chokes a try on my next target gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best choke tubes for trap

best rated choke tubes

best trap choke tube
best trap choke tubes
the best choke tube
the best choke tubes
top rated choke tubes
who makes the best choke tubes for shotgun