1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Best All Around Powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chipped1, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

I've been looking to better my scores from the fence and moving away from 1oz loads seems to be the ticket.

If you could use only one powder for singles (1oz) and caps (1 1/8oz), what powder would you use?

Any opinions of Hodgdon's Titegroup?

Chip

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Titegroup is a great powder for 1-1/8 ounce loads.

But for 1 ounce loads at the speeds I like, its way too low pressure.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

International Clays or Green Dot will do what you are looking for very nicely. I'm partial to the International Clays - very clean and consistent.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

700X and stay with the "KISS" principle.

Curt

5. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Curt,

What is the "KISS" principle?

6. FLIP

FLIP Member

keep it simple stupid

7. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Timb99,

What's the problem with a load with 7,700 psi?

Chip

8. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

Flip,

I guess I walked into that one. lol

Chip

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I guess I like a little higher pressure.

Prevailing wisdom says too low a pressure "can" lead to incomplete powder burn and inconsistent velocity.

Is that true?

Dunno.

But I use Clays for my 1 ounce loads at 1160 fps and Titegroup for my 1-1/8 ounce loads at 1200 fps.

These two loads work quite well for me.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

If I were restricted to one powder, my choice of Red Dot would be easy. Now, I do not use Red Dot. I use Green Dot and American Select.

Pat Ireland

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I have been using Red Dot for many years...does all target loads efficintly...and I see no reason th change.

Guess I am old fashioned because I still use Blue Dot for shooting from the porch or parking lot.

12. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

green dot or IC

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Chip, I'd second Red Dot, but I don't use it anymore either. The truth is, I don't want to use the same powder for singles and handicap loads. For 7/8oz and 1oz loads I want a fast powder that gives me pressures between 8000psi and 9000psi for velocities between 1150fps and 1200fps. e3 is my favorite in that category.

For 1 1/8oz loads I want something just a little slower, because I don't like loading to 10,000psi, and because I can feel the difference in felt recoil. American Select is my current favorite for 1 1/8oz loads, but I'd be happy to use Green Dot or Solo 1000 as well.

I tried a jug of TiteGroup, but didn't care for it. Too much crud and the tiny bushings required scared me off. Apart from the crud, I did like it for 1 1/8oz loads.

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Green Dot!

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Green Dot, American Select, International Clays, or any other powder capable of working in a 1 oz load, while keeping pressures reasonable in the 1 1/8 loads for caps. If you limited your 1 1/8 velocities to 1200 fps max and selected loads well under 10,000 psi, Red Dot, Promo, or 700-X would be fine.

I don't care much for Titegroup. It's very dense and leaks a bit in all of my loaders. It's hard to get a proper crimp in some loads and bushing selection is difficult, since one bushing size can jump the weight quite a bit. The pressures listed for the 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads are right at the upper edge of my comfort/preference levels.

16. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I've shot 1 1/8oz with Clays for years. I've shot well with it down to 7/8oz loads. I don't shoot hot loads(I own a fragile K-80) so Clays is my all around powder. I have tried International and have found no difference in performance. I've also used it from 7/8oz up to 1 1/8oz with no problems. Clays safely loads up to 1200fps (according to Hodgdon charts)International can be loaded up to 1255fps(Hodgdon charts again) so I use it for Caps. Dave T.

17. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

DTrykow,

Just caught your remark about your fragile K-80 -- LMAO

18. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Back 40 years ago I used everything Winchester and AA hulls, Mec 600jr. I guess nowdays the biggest bang for the buck because of the price. But wow that was fun. I was a AA junkie back then, and Rem gun. I think I will look at other powders.
    Railroad

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'd say the #1 powder for 1 1/8oz. loads would probably be PB although I hate the price. I'm currently working out an 1 1/8 oz. load with Tight Group and will admit those little bushings and lack of suitable wads makes things a bit interesting. Given that, if you're looking for the cleanest burning, most accurate dropping powder for both 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. look no further than Clays-if you can find it!!

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I've loaded lots of Titegroup with 1 1/8th oz.of shot. Using a TGT-12 wad gives perfect crimps.I like the Rem. TGT-12, but Downrange copies are nice too. You can pretty much duplicate a Rem. Nitro 27 with Titegroup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is thebest all around hodgdon powder