1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bead--My Friemeny

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I am a 1 1/2 eye shooter. Partial patch on left lense.I mount the gu nwith the bead about 1 ft over the lip. I am trying to learn to look thru the bead without focusing on the bead. I try to look at a large circle around the bead but not focus directly on the bead. Works pretty good most of the time but not always. I sometimes wonder if the bead is my friend or my enemy. What do you think?

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

The bead's best function is to show you that your mount is correct. Your fire-control computer should do the rest. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

1. both beads black.

2. Stop looking/thinking about the beads.

3. Just look at the target.

4. Profit.

4. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

My beads are black as well. I have tape over my left lens and hold low into the trap house. Do as V10 says focus on the bird not the bead

5. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

Read Daro Handys book if you can. He deals with this in detail.

6. SMOKEIT

I have read Daro's book. I agree with him that you must be strongly aware of the bead in your Peripial vision. I don't buy the black bead idea.......

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I look at the beads when I first mount the gun then hold on the lip of the house on 2,3 4 while holding outside and a little lower on the corners....Before calling for the bird focus softly about 3 foot higher than the lip of the house. Just where the target becomes a whole target instead of a streak. Concentrate on the target only...... If you see the beads after calling for the target its usually a loss.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Try shooting while standing in darkness with the clay well lit up? It's guaranteed you'll (miss) not having ability to see the end of the barrel and bead!

Why do you think the top shooters presquad to shoot as close to mid-day as possible?? Because of the east side being harder to see the later it gets.

Hap

9. archangel

archangel Member

Paint em black. Mike

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I am a believer in Daro's book but I deliberately filed my middle bead down to a tiny inconspicuous thing and Never use it. I try to look right through my small 2 mm diameter hooded fiber optic front bead and soft focus into the target acquisition zone in front of the traphouse.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

"The bead's best function is to show you that your mount is correct. Your fire-control computer should do the rest. Good luck."

Bob got it right.

Blacking out beads are for beginners. Simply develop the discipline to look at the target.

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

"Blacking out beads are for beginners."

I wonder if Phil Kiner knows that.

13. Hap MecTweaks

In reading several of Phil's words on blackening out beads, the message I got was to discourage a shooter from looking back at the bead at the crucial time? Just because you don't move the eyes to the bead certainly can't mean you don't see the relationship of the two peripherally. Maybe more shooters would be aware of how much we actually use our peripheral vision while shooting if we had a mid-night shoot. One where the shooter is standing in darkness and can't see his barrel/beads? I'd wager that a shooter couldn't even come close to his handicap average under that scenario! (Any takers?) Blackening out the beads is for a totally different reason.

Hap

14. SMOKEIT

Hap got it right!.Big difference in bead checking while tracking the target. This will cause you to stop the gun. However, knowing where the bead is in your peripheal vision without looking directly at it is helpful.............SMOKIT

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Hap...are you talking about no lights at all? Every time I've shot under the lights you could see your beads lit up like a christmas tree......but I do love the total darkness background. lol

p.s. I did take a marker and covered the beads. You can still see the shape of the bead in your peripheral vision.

16. Hap MecTweaks

LTS, not exactly, cept we'll leave the field lights off for you and light the target with floods in front and both sides the trap. That way you won't have any worries about seeing the beads or the end of your barrel. Those not using them anyway won't miss them much, till they can't see them. Looks like that would be easy money for someone?

Hap

17. buck private

buck private TS Member

Remove both Beads.

David Ross

18. 2labman

2labman Member

Most posters on this site don't understand the difference between 'seeing' something and 'looking at' something.

19. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

x 10 2labman!

20. Avatar

I started off listening to people who advised not to use the beads--didn't work well for me. For me, at least, best method I found was to use the beads to mount the gun (i.e., figure 8 and not canted to one side) then, with both eyes open and soft focus on the trap or slightly beyond, call "pull," focus on the bird and swing the gun until the front bead intersects the bird. After a while, you don't really notice the front bead while this is happening...

Not sure which I prefer, but I sometimes use fiber optic beads. When they've been too bright, I've found that a felt marker applied to the barrel of the bead works nicely to tone them down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.