1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Barrakuhna - one more look

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The thumb. The thumb is tucked under and away from the nose. This lets you use a shorter LOP bringing the gun back closer to your pivot point. Lock that front arm where ever comfortable and all you can do is pivot.

How do you figure the LOP when the thumb is down? Hold the gun to shoulder and bring arm up to grip. If gun moves forward even just a little, you're reaching too much and you need to shorten it. Too short is easy. Your arm is too tight in the elbow.

Fit like this, both arms are locked. You have to use your waist. It helps having that weight in front of the recoil pad too.

Trigger finger will be parallel with barrel. Seems good.

Weight of gun is closer to pivot point and arms are minimally extended. Hold your arms out fully extended and try to pivot. It ain't easy. You're half arm swinging already n just about falling forward. Now put a gun in there. Whoa.

LOP on the Barrakuhna is 12-5/8 inches. I'm fairly tall at 6 feet. Regular arm length.

Just making a few more notes before changing to an all new gun...

One more thing. If your crossfiring, try shooting thru a Holosight for a while. Your other eye can't see the reticle at all.

Regards, Joe

2. joe kuhn

There are 2 vertical lines. One is for your center of gravity and the other is for your pivot axis. They need to be close together.

The more weight up front in a gun, the more you lean back with your center of gravity, the more your pivot axis leans back too. Pivot is through head and front foot.

The more your arms are extended the more you lean back...

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hello Joe,

I have found your work very interesting.

I agree with your analysis of LOP, center of gravity, and pivot axis and how they inter-relate after seeing Mary shoot her new gun (BT99). It is much too long for her (but in spite of that she is shooting her best scores ever!) I have also considered the use of a Hollosight for her as she is cross-eye dominant. I bought a mount for her Beretta 3901 so we will give it a try.

First though I need to shorten the LOP on the BT99 as she has fallen in love with the darn thing.

I hear you got yourself a "real Trap gun". Good luck this season, and may the winds gust only for the other guys.

Don

4. joe kuhn

Thanks Don. I'm wondering if the pivot axis and center of gravity are the same thing. Can you pivot anywhere but along your center of gravity? Maybe not.

5. joe kuhn

Don,

That's great that Mary is shooting better. I believe you want LOP as short as possible without bumping your nose with your thumb. Problem is, how do you know until you go too short and then have to add a spacer back in? You don't, but a spacer is better than a stock that's too long.

Careful with the pitch as you change the LOP. Be careful to keep it the same. Wrong pitch will bump your cheek when you shoot. 1 or 2 degrees will make all the difference.

One thing I was doing was looping up and over to the outside of the target. Gun was front heavy and I was leaning back to adjust. Added weight to the stock and it was much better. Remember what Frank said about the shallow dish? You can't do no shallow dish if your leaning back to compensate for a front heavy gun.

Stock fitting is a series of individual problems to solve with each shooter.

You might consider taking Mary to Dennis. He'll stock any gun.

Regards. How's your shooting?

Joe

6. ccridr

ccridr Member

Joe, If you are going to an all new gun, is this modified gun for sale?
    Thanks, Colby ccridr@wi.rr.com

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Joe,
    Since the class, I wound up getting a used K-80 combo. My scores really dropped badly but are now better. I managed a 94 at the last ATA shoot- tied for third.

I was going to shorten Mary's stock, but I think I will get it fitted by a pro. There is a guy close to us (Pat Lietski???) that is supposed to be good at it. Who is Dennis???

Don

8. joe kuhn

Don,

Dennis Devault. Check out his website above. It's best to call.

Dennis uses a bondo on wood model approach. Then copies the results to the final wood piece. Perfect fit. You'll want one too.

9. joe kuhn

Colby,

If you're ever near Chi let me know. You can shoot it as much as you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.