1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The ATA should strongly consider this idea!!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I live in Wisconsin and Whistling Straits will be hosting the PGA golf tournament this week. I realize that Trapshooting is not golf, but I feel we could learn something about running a major championship. The best golfers in the world will be coming to Kohler Wisconsin this week and they will test their skills against probably the toughest golf course in the world. Scores will blossom here, where most other PGA tournaments are won by shooting under par. The designer of this course wanted the best golfers in the world to be tested. With the latest strides in modern day equipment making a mockery of most golf courses, he wanted the best of the best to win.

With that being said, I feel that the ATA should strongly consider doing the same for the greatest trapshooting championship that we have. We have the best shooters participating in the Grand American in Sparta. Why not make the targets as tough as possible? Like golf, with all the modern day advances in gun technology and ammunition these shooters who participate at the Grand would relish shooting at difficult targets that most if at all any would not break a 100 straight. To be declared a true champion against the best, conditions should be made more difficult, not kept the same. Sparta already has added the heat into the mix, now all we need are the toughest targets to be added and then the winner could be declared the best shooter as "The Grand American Champion". What is your opinion?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Trapshooters are overweight, lazy, and are not going to want anything they do now, made more difficult or challenging, and they will whine like crazy and threaten to quit shooting . They complain when the guy next to them farts, it might blow the target of course. They would be happy if they could shoot indoors in a controlled enviremont from a comfortable chair, and then have somone carry their gun for them and hand it to them when it was their turn to shoot and then wipe their brow for them between shots, how dare you think about changing anything.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Golf generates ginormous ad revenues, billions in TV ad sales and major sponsorship from anyone involved in the industry. When trap shooting can do that, it won't have to follow anyone's example; until trapshooting does that it hasn't got a prayer of attracting anyone's attention except the wackos who complain about the noise.

MK

4. blacklab

blacklab Member

At the very least, a three hole target for singles shoot offs.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Senior, Didn't George Digweed win that event already?

6. senior smoke

Some of you people make shooters sound like wusses.
    Steve

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Not only should the targets be tougher, but the shoot itself should be an invitational, no opinions all money be made mandatory on all events entered ... That would eliminate all of those who go to the Grand to just be there and eat Peach Ice Cream ... The payouts would increase substancially because eveyone would be all in or not at all ... It would simplify the book keeping and sorting out the shooters who play the Lewis and or maybe a gun purse from time to time ... The Shooters who choose to play better be ready to lay down the cash and prove they are the "Champion" when its all on the line ... If people want to come and watch that fine, anyone who does not qualify to be invited can buy their way in, all it takes is money (lots of money) ... That would make the Grand the Grand again and bring out all of the Top Guns and Top Gun I wanna bees ... This would also allow for the shoot to be held at different clubs because there would be no need for 120 traps (probably half that or less) and a 3 1/2 mile long trapline ... The Top prize could be established by the shooters themself by making and additional purse of X Number of dollars ... It would not be cheap but the rewards would make it worth it in the long run for the real Champions ... Those who crap out one year will have all that much more to shoot for the next year ... The rules would include all new shells, and may the best man or lady win ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Great idea YAC---SJB---

9. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I say 3 or 4 hole plus jack the speed up or have some kind of mixer that can change the speed from 15 fps to 75 fps also stand with your back to the house when you call for a target plus pick gun up of the ground, & load and shoot? that way we won't have to add concrete and the playing field will be even. No it won't, the cream will still come to the Top, and kick most people a$$e$!! Hooo and young shooters have to carry about 150lbs of sand so they know what it's like to be old fat and out of shape! Good one Steve, but I like the diarrhea ride home in your wifes new car Better. "slid"

10. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

so Bill (WPT), you are saying like (The World Series of Poker "Main Event"!!)

I like it.....

phil

11. porky

porky TS Member

I think that it is a great idea. A problem might be that the big shooters will only go if there is enough money. I can't blame them because it is their income. The game is " Follow the money ".

12. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

How come there always someone on here whinning and crying to change something? Leave things the way they are or quit and go play golf.

13. senior smoke

WPT:
    Great idea. A lot of shooters over the years would complain that it was very difficult to change anything in the ATA. I believe that a lot of this is due to shooters as a whole are very conservative and do not like change. This is just something to think about.
    Steve

Slipping into darkness:
    I still drive that same car. In fact the other night my wife got into the passenger seat and she said that this car still smells. I quickly changed the subject.
    Steve

14. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

There are two sides with money interests in trapshooting.

1. The competitors who like to win cash and:

2. The gun club that gets paid by throwing more targets.

To satisfy both interests, allow unlimited cash entry but make the entry optional.

The Big Heap option scheme addresses both of these interests.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

There are no problems with this game, leave it as is,right! CED

16. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

If this is such a great idea, why don't you boys just have at it.

Find a host club at whatever geographical location works best, get a date and prove the ATA wrong. It doesn't have to be called the Grand American. Call it whatever you would like.

17. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would bet that if all golf courses were identical as in most trap the audiences would die off too. Consider adding wobble trap and/or borrow some challenges from Sporting Clays-change.

18. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Exactly, Dave. Each golf course or auto racing circuit is different, so while the sport stays relatively the same, it has enough changes to keep a viewer's interest, week after week. Augusta is great, but if the PGA only played there, it would get boring, quickly.

In the Big 4, the opponents change, while the playing field stays the same, so there's a new grudge match every couple games.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Anyone who joined the ATA after 1980 have shot WUSS targets, those that strated shooting in the late 60s and early 70s know what a 3 hole target is.

Guys like Flagrato that started shooting in 1990 been shooting WUSS targets
    and I have to throw Neil Winston under the bus here also as he has shot very little if any 3 hole targhets.

Senior Smoke I do like your idea, and it is one I have been promoting for years on DEAF EC EARS.

Go back in time to the Lary Gravestock, Gene Sears, Britt Robinson, Jimmy Brown, Bill Dunlap, Dan Orlich, Bueford Bailey, Frank Little, DAYS which was when I started shooting, we shot those challenging targets but w/hand pullers and the pulls were all over the board, slow, real slow, fast,Etc.

You earned what you shot and there was more respect for the top shooters.

And there was big money at the Golden West Grand back then. Also the Missouri Fall Handicap paid very handsomely.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Steve, as good an idea as that may be, don't you think it should be tested a bit before it hits the bigtime? Maybe when you attend the members' annual meeting at the Wisconsin State Shoot you can get such a motion passed to run that shoot according to your suggestion for a few years to see how it works. I can just see the ad in T&F "Come to Wisconsin for the toughest targets possible!" The trouble is, I don't know if the Minnesota State Shoot will be able to handle the crowds . . .

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.