1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The ATA is listening

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by trapwife, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This thread is for everyone, but especially for those who complain that the ATA never listens to their wants/needs. It will soon be time to select the trophies for the upcoming Grand American. As co-chair of the trophy committee, on behalf of the ATA, I am listening for ideas. We want to use a diverse range of awards that the winners will be happy to take home. I'm well aware of all the usual items, so I am looking for unique things to add to the old standards. Post here, email to my address above, see me at the Dixie or Southern Grands or heck, even call me 573-795-6992 if you have some brillant idea. We want to make the awards the best ever and you can help.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I would think that if you look in Leo's trophy room, case or where ever he keeps the awards he has won over the years you could kind of Judge what he has several of and go from there so it won't be duplicated again ... I can't think of a better way to get ideas than to see it in living color ... The man has to have several of any and all awards by now ... Just a suggestion on my part ...

I bowl also and for certain Honor scores they give out rings from "Keepsake" and they are well recieved by those who get them ... Rings for all the different catagories, yardages, classes, besides runner up could work and might be recieved well by the shooters ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cash is always nice..............

grntitan_2009_2503161.jpg

I also like WPT's idea. Bring back some of the classic throphys. Leo has to have a virtual library of prizes. Love the Rings and Bowls idea. Not that i matter. :)

Matt

4. monroesc

monroesc Member

Think of the "little guy" that hasn't won an attic full of trophies. This is the Grand America so make the trophies worthy of the name. It probably doesn't matter to the Leo's or Harlan's or Ricky's what the trophy is, but it matters to the non-professional shooter. Something that they can show off is always nice (shamrock bag, belt buckle,...Wendall August makes nice show case items too.) (my 2 cents, anyway)

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Karla:
    Thanks for asking for our opinions. When I was young man the only trophy I wanted was cash. Over the years I have become interested about our trap shooting roots. I would think the older more established shooter might like framed pictures of the early days of trap shooting. Maybe framed pictures of the Grand American tournament site in Ohio, or pictures of old time shooters in shoot offs, or famous squads of shooters at the Grand etc. These pictures can be blown up and then framed. It would be a welcome addition to any shooters rec or reloading room.
    Steve Balistreri

6. grntitan

Good idea Steve. Love the classic pictures of our sport and its heritage.

Matt

7. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Gold and silver is not only at a premium in value but also appreciated as an award.

Maltz

8. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

"... framed pictures of the early days of trap shooting. ..."

There were trophies like this last year. At least I'm pretty sure they were trophies. They were displayed on the trophy counter.

9. grntitan

V10--You are right. I wasn't sure if they were just on display, for sale or they were trophys. I haven't shot well enough at the Grand yet to worry about it.

Matt

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I like Steve's idea, but I would make the picture an ariel view of Sparta with a name plate below it. Beside that, rings and beltbuckles are best.

11. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Super Bowl ring for winner of each class. This will bring alot of shooters. Rings are not expensive.

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Due to our economy I would advise against gift certificates. Business's are falling by the way side every day. The certificate may not be honored. I have two right now that were major chain restaurants and are no longer open. Besides, they usually have a one year expiration date

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've never won many ATA trophies but the one I cherish the most is a large framed print I won for winning Class "B" singles at the 1994 Westy Hogans at Thurmont. My Shamrock bag for winning Class AA at my 2000 state shoot is right up there because I broke my first 200-straight and survived a shoot-off to win it, but the trophy itself lost some of its luster because I had just bought myself a Shamrock bag at the 100th Grand the year before. I also like the Frederick Remington horse-and-rider statue from the 2001 New Jersey State Shoot but large framed prints get my vote. They are attractive, easily displayed and add some decor to the family home. Gaudy "Super Bowl-type" rings for the championship events would be nice for the "pros."

I fully agree with the poster above who suggested buying trophies with the "average" shooter in mind. I also relate to the the post about All-Americans selling their trophies. I really hate seeing our large canines peddling their wares on here as though they mean nothing to them. If that's the case, donate them back instead of taking something you really don't want.

Ed

14. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Still favor a classic old fashioned trophy that's WORTHY of the Grand American. The ring idea is not a bad idea, to go with a trophy.

I am sick to death of cheesy belt buckles (who wears those anyway?) and leather bags.

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I agree old fashioned trophies that's worthy of the Grand American. Large sterling silver type trophies etc each class.

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't shoot the GA but senior's mention of a picture made me think that it might be nice to give a trophy (cup, plate, whatever) but then take a photo of the winner receiving the trophy from the ATA president or whomever with the trap line or some recognizable Sparta landmark in the background, frame it (or not) and send it to the winners once they return home. Put the trophy on the mantle or shelf with the photo hanging above it...nice set.

MK

17. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Karla, you have a PM

Rick

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I think a frameable certificate of the event he won and then a gift certificate that could only be used with the venders on the grounds. This might work for prelim week only.

Don

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I think the Wendall August Forge items, Shamrock Leather, and the silver items are good trophies. I like the system used at the Zones where you could choose from the trophy package ATA had available.

I can also see where the AA shooters might not really care about winning the same trophy over and over, but you have to design it with the rest of us in mind. I believe cash in a money clip was one of the options included in the package options - offer that with a certificate of some sort denoting the event & trophy won if the shooters don't want another shell bag etc.

Maybe the Grand HAA and HOA Champion trophies could be tailored more to the AA shooters since it is unlikely someone wins one of these that hasn't already won tons of trophies.

You can't make everyone happy.

20. Lurefish

Lurefish Member

Anything that says Grand American on it is good enough for me......Ken Jeffries

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.