1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

THE ART OF READING TRAPS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    over the years i have seen and heard about shooters being able to read a trap. with the interruptors, is it still possible? who were some of the top shooters years ago that mastered the art of reading a trap. for new shooters, reading a trap pertains to being able to know when certain type angles or straight aways would come out of the traphouse, supposely making your shots easier, because you know what is coming out of the traphouse. when shooters did this years ago, was it considerd cheating???
    steve balistreri

2. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Here is an old post of mine.

Britt Robinson spent hours down in the trap watching the machine work. He was the best shooter there ever was and still he wanted to see how to read it. Go see a squad of top shooters that frequently shoot together and you will swear that the machine is locked throwing straight-aways.

Yes, it's possible to increase the likelyhood of avoiding hard right or left birds. A well timed squad will run in time with the machine, when it starts throwing a hard right or left the next shooter needs to allow a little more time (2 sec?) for the machine to return to the center and then call for the bird. The idea is not to try and guess whether the next bird will repeat a hard angle, but rather to try and keep the machine throwing center targets as much as possible. If you are keeping the machine in the middle, a hard angle is only a slight suprise. If you try and guess a repeat hard right and you get a hard left, you are likely to miss. This plan only works on some machines, like the old ones they had at the Grand previously, and requires a good squad. If you still doubt this, let me tell you sometime how I have been in the Grand American Handicap Shoot-off twice. Let the flames begin.

The machines at this year's Grand oscillated at a faster rate than older Pat Traps I have shot on. You had to call aprox 3 secounds after the prior shooter to get the same target or wait 6 secounds for it to cycle back to where it should be. Most Pat traps have a 4 to 5 second cycle. It was more difficult to read these new machines. It was like the old hand set machines in that if you called soon enough you got the same target as the shooter before you, but at least with the Pats no one is getting their fingers hurt when you rush the trap. AJ

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

AJ-very interesting.
    thanks,
    steve

4. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

Not worth the effort!

5. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Having sat in a trap house with a GMV while a squad was shooting, I don't think you can read them.

I'd probably miss more targets than not if I thought I knew where the target was going when I called pull.

~Michael

6. jimsw

jimsw Member

Trying to read a trap is a major distraction for the majority of shooters. If you simply take what the machine gives you you will be a lot better off. Years ago I got obsessed with trying to avoid hard rights on station 4 and 5. If the shooter to my left got a hard right I would wait longer than usual before I mounted my gun and called for the bird. I'm sure that when I did that more than 90% of the time I got a hard right! I gave up on that and just tried to break my bird regardless of what it was.

I believe the GMV interrupter works like a light timer, the way the Beomats work. If you really want to screw yourself up you might be able to memorize the sequence of birds thrown. The pins should be changed frequently to be sure the machine doesn't keep throwing the same sequence. Don't waste your time with this nonsense.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

No problem. I can read a trap 100% of the time.

If I think it's going right, it's a left bird. If I think it's going left, it's a right bird and if I think it's going to be a straight-away bird, it will be anything but that.

Seriously though, I have enough problem just trying to see them and not trying to guess where they should be........

Hauxfan!

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I became real good at it back in the 60's over those old Western handset machines. When we installed interrupters I wasn't nearly as proficient-too many opposites. Plenty of our high average leaders in those days were also outstanding trap readers.

I'll never forget the time one of PA's finest 16yd. shooters, Bill Hunsberger, finally realized why he always seemed to get 5 straight left angles off No.1 post. Seems like his timing, and the fact his No. 5 shooter always straightened out the targets before him, threw him into a left angle funk.

I guess those old timers were good at keeping secrets!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.