1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The ammo problem - one man's opinion

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Jul 24, 2013.

1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The ammo problem - one man

From THE TACTICAL WIRE:

Around the Water Cooler: Great Ammunition Drought of 2013
    The ever-elusive "box of .22 LR ammo," rumored to have been in the area but seen by very few -- at retail price.
    An early morning trip to a local version of a large retail establishment in an attempt to snag the ever-elusive .22 LR rimfire led to an interesting discussion with one of the employees. I've been able to score the princely sum of two fifty-round boxes of .22 LR since January - one in May and another last week, both from Academy Sporting Goods in Joplin, Mo.

Needless to say, the store on this morning was rimfire-free but I engaged the frazzled clerk, an employee of the company for some twenty years or more. He'd never seen it like this.

He said that ammo supplies had been moderating as the industry "catches up with the DHS order." I really ignored that, as it's BS. He then said that a few guys purchased bulk packs of 9mm, saying it wasn't what they were after but they'd take it. He shook his head.

"I wouldn't have sold it to them - I know they're reselling it. But store policy is "first come, first served," so I had to sell it."

I was moved to write about ass-hat profiteers but I decided to check around on this "DHS" order. Understand that the current Department of Homeland Security now encompasses agencies which had previously ordered their own ammo. Total up their usage and you find that DHS hasn't ordered any more than the government used to buy.

An LE rep for an ammo company said, "I think I would have to throw the BS flag on that one. Yes, DHS has ordered large quantities of ammo, just like they always have. When you look at all the agencies that fall under DHS you are talking millions of rounds just for their normal training, qualifications, and issue of duty ammo."

He went on to note that ". . . all the new CCW permits account for a lot of ammo being purchased also." People aren't buying guns to shoot a few times and throw into the sock drawer. They want to shoot those guns.

He concluded that there's "lots of fear, greed, and hysteria still floating around out there."

Another large ammo provider noted that the DHS orders are nothing out of the ordinary. He also believed that new gun owners account for lots of the demand with hoarders causing some problems.

Black Hills Ammunition doesn't have any DHS business. Jeff Hoffman noted, "The government buys lots of ammunition. They employ lots of people with guns."

He also explained government purchasing.

Government purchasing is done via IDIQ - "Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity." According to the GSA website (gsa.gov), "Indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contracts provide for an indefinite quantity of services for a fixed time. They are used when GSA can't determine, above a specified minimum, the precise quantities of supplies or services that the government will require during the contract period."

The government reserves the right under such contracts to buy a quantity of ammunition - say 50 million rounds. They have the right to purchase that amount, say sometime over a three year period but they're under no obligation to buy that much. You have to be able to supply that amount over that time period.

The government lets three to five year contracts; the process is far too tedious and time-consuming to do each year.

Each correspondent noted that fear was involved. If you were in the D.C. elite and you see that every time you make a pronouncement on essential civil rights like gun ownership that there is a surge in the purchase of guns and ammo, wouldn't you start re-thinking your approach?

This run on ammo is nothing like the other ammo booms in 1989, 1993 and 2008. This thing, like our economy, is recovering very slowly - nearly imperceptibly.

The mass purchasing of .22 Long Rifle ammo is the best evidence that this is different from any other "run on the market." They're buying it up in large volume, a cartridge not favored for military battle or law enforcement use. Its uses are everything from harvesting small game for food to home defense. It's not what revolutionary extremists would favor, but the regular folk for whom possession of the cartridge is comforting.

Consider this - one company noted a 44% increase in production . . . at the same time they saw a 200% increase in demand.

The government may be driving demand, but it's not driving it through ammo purchases but through an inability to manage public perceptions.

-- Rich Grassi

2. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Please, please, please, don't cloud great conspiracy theories with facts. This guy is obviously an Obama "plant."

The real deal as a few on this site "know" is that the government is buying billions and billions of rounds of various calibers of ammunition which is going to help train and arm the "Obama" army which will be under the direct control of DHS

(which just happened to purchase 7,000 or so 3-round burst rifles which they claim is to replace a portion of the rifles in service by 50,000 + border patrol, customs and border protection, immigration and customs enforcement, secret service, and coast guard... members over the next five plus years)

specifically FEMA (who by the way is setting up 'death camps' around the country)
    who in turn will with the help of some 35,000 total (all agencies) federal agencies along with the military are going to go door-to-door, farm-to-farm and just round up Christians, NRA members, veterans, and registered Republicans. No acre in this country will be left without a complete search!

This new 'army' needs bullets to round up some 100 million plus 'subversives' in this country.

OR..............................

It is pretty much what Rich Grassi said and the rest are just freaking paranoid morons.

Can't type anymore, need to go load mags, put on tin foil hat, and hoard some Cheerios and beef jerky along with 100,000 rounds of 22LR.

Thank you <i>Doomsday Preppers</i> and the other idiot shows. I believe my "survival rating" with three days of cheerios and beef jerky and 100,000 rounds of 22lr to be about 11.3 on a scale of 1-10. LOL...

3. oz

oz Active Member

time for you to read agenda 21 (the book)

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I find the fact that there are so many law enforcement agencies under the umbrella of DHS frightening, all heavily armed and taking orders from an agent of the federal government.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

The ammo shortage really was before Sandy Hook, the day after the election I ordered 12,500 .22 LR's not only because of who was elected and figuring in advance of one of his agendas would be but because it was just a few years ago that a brick was about $10 and when I ordered them they were $21, it was more of an investment to hedge against inflation, beats the .7% the banks are giving

But even back then the 12,500 I bought went on back order, it took about a month to get them

It's that old Boy Scout motto, Be prepared

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Ammo has been less than plentiful since Obama first got elected in 2008.

7. broadwaybill

broadwaybill Member

Large capicity magazines truely a larde part of the problem load them slow and empty them fast. Boomdey boomdey boomdey. It is just human nature

Fifteen two and a pair is four

Bill