1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ammo and Primer Crunch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Darryl101, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

I'm not trying to be a pot stirring poster but some of the murmurings I keep hearing from fellow gunners is wearing me out. I recently posted some small rifle primers for sale on a site....they were cheaper than what they cost on Gunbroker.com but still were going to cost more than what folks are used to paying. I took some abuse to which I replied in not so friendly a manner. Now I am sulled up and sour. Right or wrong? I don't know.

A little history. Since I left home (now 43) and entered into the shooting/hunting arena on my own it has been my goal to have enough of EVERYTHING on hand. I got caught in the primer crunch in the early to mid 1990's and vowed to never let that happen again. It also taught me that when the price is right buy all you can afford. If the deal of the day is 15,000 small rifle primers......buy them all if you can afford them......even if you don't need them all today, what about tomorrow?? I have used the same plan for ALL reloading components and even factory loaded ammo in calibers I currently shoot or even if I someday plan to own or would like to have a gun chambered in it. When I started having kids I got even worse because I wanted to ensure their shooting future if they were to chose to be a gunner. This type of planning has left me with a sizable stash of goodies. All of my purchases have been made on a very moderate income bought at the right price.

Now to my bitch. Why does this make me a bad guy? My friends who used to make fun of my buying habits are now wanting into my stash and get frowny when I want to make a profit. My mentality is this.....their money has been sitting somewhere earning them at least a little something. Mine has been invested in guns and everything related.......earning me nothing until NOW!

My advice. If this thing ever normals out, think about tomorrow and not just today. You don't need to be a hoarder. Just buy what you can when the price is right. Let this be one of lifes lessons. Don't get caught with your pants down again.

Nuff Said!

Darryl

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Would it be okay with you if I bought up all the gas in town and then charged you 3 times what it is worth just because I have it and you don't. That's the trouble when the tailgaters control the price of goods....A legitimate business endures serious consequences when they GOUGE....You tailgaters just find another sucker.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

221---That is a very valid point and the same could be said for food , medicine, clothes , etc. etc. etc. this is not the old squirrel story about storing nuts for the winter it is about taking advantage of good people.
    Darryl--- You didn't buy all that stuff to use. You bought all that stuff to take advantage of people in a bad time. You are part of the problem not the solution.---Matt

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Darryl,

You did the right thing. You used the 6 P principle, proper planning prevents piss poor performance. My advice is to find some new friends and not listen to the ones that are complaining. They are the ones who were too lazy to go to the store and spend some money. Now all they can do is whine and accuse you of being a bad guy. HMB

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You did nothing wrong. When you had the chance, you stocked up. That is what most people do.

In lean times, you use what you have stashed away and stock up when times are good.

Your friends are just jealous that they didn't have the foresight that you did.

I wouldn't worry about it.........

The only thing I would do different is to not sell to them and don't let them know how much you have put away. They aren't privy to your bank account and they don't need to know how much reloading components that you have.

Just my opinion, and others may vary.......I'm sure of it. :)

Hauxfan!

6. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Very good planning Darryl, I have done the same thing in the past. I'm sitting on 45,000 primers that I bought when the price was right (less than $100 per sleeve). I also bought 3 tons of shot at 14 bucks a bag, and 4 25 lb boxes of REX powder when it was 8 bucks a lb. Not for sale, but if I needed the bucks I would sell and it would be at a profit. R

7. 221

BRGll.....The point is, would you tell your buddy that shot is scarce and I'll let you have it for 50.00 a bag.......That's the rub.

8. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

You did the right thing. You used the 6 P principle, proper planning prevents piss poor performance. My advice is to find some new friends and not listen to the ones that are complaining. They are the ones who were too lazy to go to the store and spend some money. Now all they can do is whine and accuse you of being a bad guy.

WOW!!!!!! My dad taught me the same thing about the 6 P's some 40 years ago...... and now I also have friends who dislike me, because I took the time to look ahead and plan for future things.........

Oh, Gamaliel's has Nobel Sport 209 Primers for 107.50 per 5000 in stock Today!!!!
    Well, now they are 10,000 primers short.... ;-)

Sometimes you have to get them/it while it's there.....

RickyI

9. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

Darryl,

I don't think that anyone would find fault with your logic. However, it's a difficult position to say that your "purchases" were made for the future use for yourself and your kids. Then in the next line say that you take exception when someone questions why you sold something at a significant profit.

Why mince words ?? You purchased it at the best possible price. My issue, and thats well documented on another thread, was that someone stepped in between me and an offer to purchase some .45 caliber ammo. If that was you then you should know better. There's no real code of ettiquette that we signed when we started posting, but it sure makes for a nice site to buy, sell & trade things here.

If it was not you, the I would say that if you are that well stocked up, why try to garner more ? if you have enough, why not give someone else the opportunity to gather some supplies ?

Jason

10. smartweed

smartweed TS Member

I'm with '101'. Tough toe nails. What do we say to the guys who bought rare guns 15 years ago and stored them away? Bad on them for speculating? No way! The market goes up and the market goes down; plan on which side you wish to be on. Don't like the price...stay out the market. If the buyers stop, the price will fall.

Grntitan and 221 make a valid argument for life's essentials. Ammo, primers, and guns do not fall in that category. This is a hobby/avocation so put it in perspective, reach for your wallet, or take a Midol.

Otherwise, good on ya' BRGll.

Brenda

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Darryl...

I know folks that aren't shooting whole shoots because they don't have enough components to load enough shells to get through the events.

Buy what you can, when you can, and don't apologize for it!! I agree with Hauxfan too...none of anyone's damn business how many primers you do or don't have in your garage.

I don't sell anything...though I will "loan" a guy a thousand primers with the understanding they will be replaced.

12. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I was taught it was seven Ps Proper prior planning etc. D Winter

13. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

For the record.........I did not buy it to resell it. I bought it for me and my family to use. But since I have no immediate need xx,000 primers, my thought was to sell some at a profit which would cheap up my whole stash and buy back when the time was right. At the same time it would possibly help out someone who had NO access to whatever I was selling.

For the record. I have not bought a rifle or pistol primer in not less than 4 years.

grntitan and 221........if your kids are going to be gunners or if you expect to enjoy your shooting/hunting sports at the comfort level you used to enjoy, you better rethink your statements.

Darryl

14. smartweed

smartweed TS Member

That does it. 'Gonna dump the 401k, the IRA, and start hoarding components. Future looks bright.
    I'm buillish. InsecureGuy, PM for price list. Brenda

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Maybe we should ask George Soros for his opinion.

Not sure if hoarding the problem so much as the much greater number of people buying the stuff. Around here, shot is scarce from people trying to replenish after last years madness.

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Don't apologize...you did noting wrong.

But I would reconsider your selling some of your stash plan...you'll probably not be able to replace it as cheap as it is now.

17. 221

Now your saying I should pay you scammers 100.00 a 1000 for primers so my children can shoot........Most, that are agreeing with this darryl guy must not have a clue, what we are talking about......I've got a good supply of components myself......Any of you willing to go 1.00 ea for 209's......That's what he's doing and you are agreeing with him. These guys have been going to retail shops and buying grocery carts full of rifle and pistol primers for 30.00 a 1000 and then ripping people off up to 175.00 a 1000. If ya'll don't see or have a problem with that, you had never again bitch about the price of gas.

18. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Heres the reason there is no ammo. See above...

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/potus/?action=view&current=Firearmssalesmanoftheyear.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

19. Darryl101

Darryl101 TS Member

A few years ago I had a chance to buy shot at $12.51/bag tax included. I did a little soul searching and found the resouces to buy 30 bags....knowing full well that 3X that is what I should be buying but just couldn't swing it at the time. After checking with some fellow shooters I found that only 3 of us wanted some for a total buy of 120 bags. Since this whole affair took place in early January, everybody had other things on their mind besides shooting. The common mentality.....since I don't need it today and don't want to tie my money up, I will worry about it later, you can buy that stuff anytime".

As I said earlier. I am only 43 years old. I can't imagine the experiences some of you fellow shooters, maybe just 20 years older, have lived through in this whole "shortage" game.

Darryl

20. smartweed

smartweed TS Member

Love the free market!
    Good work 101.
    Brenda

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.