1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The Alpha Strategy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

At first look, this may not seem to fit in the shooting category. Trust me, it fits.

John Pugsley wrote a book in 1981 titled, "The Alpha Strategy: The Ultimate Plan of Financial Self-Defense for the Small Investor". In a nutshell, the plan suggests that no commodity will go down in price in the future. Sure, technology gets cheaper, but the basics seem to ride parallel to the general cost of living. Socks, nail, Tshirts, bottles of whiskey,shoe laces, combs, toothbrushes, and so on.

Pugsley suggest buying and stocking up on these items. Instead of buying a package of three pairs of socks, but 10 packages if they are they kind you like. While there may be other sales in the future, the overall cost will not decline. For most of us, 30 pairs of good socks will last a long time. As time passes and sales are available, add to the sock collection.

I did this with brass and lead and was never a victim of the $39.95/50 prices that were common just a few years ago. It is hard for me to visit any sporting store these days without buying a box of 9mm, some .22s, or even an extra flat of 12 gauge. While I don't necessarily NEED more today, I figure it is a wise investment to buy good 12 gauge when its around $5.00. I started doing this when it was around $4.00 and I'll keep doing it.

I also "invest" in cleaning solutions and lubricants.

The strategy is something like income averaging in reverse. When shells are $10.00 a box, I'll still be shooting ones that cost $5.00 or $6.00. When 9mm is back to $40.00 (and higher), I'll be shooting, $15.00 boxes.

The same principles apply to my inane desire to keep buying used, quality guns. I like doing it and I believe they are a better investment than any 401K. After I leave this mortal coil my heirs can do what they want with my spoils. I have a strong hunch they'll be happy with my stockpiles of socks, handkerchiefs, Tshirts, ammo, and steel pipes from which I shoot lead.

Instead of trinkets when I travel by car, I pick up sale items, especially sales in states without sales taxes. That even enhances the strategy.

This could be a hard sell to some spouses, but look for the book at Amazon (link above). get a copy. Read it and devise your own plan. When shooting rates climb, the pain will be diminished because you'll still be shooting old supplies from guns you bought when they were affordable. Everything will increase in cost. Those of us who use the Alpha Strategy will be beating the inflation.

Larry Frieders

2. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I've not read the book but the strategy makes sense to me if you have the spare change to invest. In the case shooting I think a few factors should be considered.

The $5.00 target loads to my knowledge have a steel base instead of brass so storing large amounts should be done in an area where moisture isn't a factor; otherwise corrosion can ruin your investment. If you reload watch out for steel primers for the same reason. I don't know much about 9mm or any other ammo but I guess there could be some steel casings out there. If you plan to be a member of your current club a long time and they can do it maybe pre-purchasing lots of rounds of trap? Of course, T-shirts and socks don't rust. Just my $.02.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Extreme couponing comes to my mind.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

Everytime I shoot up a $7 box of 38 specials, I feel like I'm pawning family jewels or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.