1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The All Around Gun???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Hello all, I am currently in the process of finding an Over-Under shotgun and am wondering what your opinions would be. I am looking for a gun for right around $1,000, I would like it for sporting clays, hunting, and maybe even to shoot doubles if I ever felt like it. I'm not looking to buy one right NOW but will be in the near future, just looking for opinions right now. I like the way the new Browning stocks fit because of the pistol grip, but a new Browning XT or the like is a little expensive for me. Any help is appreciated, Josh.

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Buy a used XT.
    Joe

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Your limited due to the amount available to purchase. A used Citori is probably the only one I can think of that you possibly will want that is dependable.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If I had to pick one gun for everything???????? It would have to be a 1100 or 1187 with 28 or 30 " barrel 3" chamber. or even a 870. Have adjustable comb put on or a few different stocks for the different aplications

5. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

There are some good inexpensive Charles Daly O/U's out there. The older ones with coil springs. I believe they are the type 4. Jim,(The Rock) can tell you more about them. Steve

6. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I forgot to mention, I would like it in 20 gauge. I want a little more of a challenge with less recoil I guess, just for the fun stuff. Thanks for the help, Josh.

7. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I have Remington autos in both 12 and 20. I use them for sporting clays, trap, skeet, 5-stand, and hunting ducks, geese, turkeys, pheasants, quail, doves, etc. I do find myself using my 20 more than my 12. Except for competition where you just have to win the 20 will get the job done and is a lot more fun to shoot. I am shooting almost all 3/4 ounce reloads for targets now. Don't let anyone tell you a 20 can't be a good all around hunting gun now with new heavier than lead substitutes. I don't hunt anything with my 12 anymore. I took my last 3 turkeys with my 20 and use if for all my waterfowling too.

8. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You will want a 3 inch chamber in a 20 intended for hunting bigger birds like turkey and waterfowl.

9. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Josh, look into a AL 391 auto loader by Beretta. You can shoot singles, caps and doubles. I also used mine for pheasants, rabbits & squirrels. Last year I used to it to harvest a large doe and a ten point buck! It's defintely an all around gun!

Rick Brohmer

10. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I've thought about an auto too, but I have never been a big fan of them. I hate that I have to buy a separate piece (shell catcher) so I don't have to pick up my hulls. I have considered it, but the whole hull thing makes me say "no". I'd rather have an over-under where I don't have to buy a little clip thing to catch my hulls, rather just my hand, or if I want to let them fly, just pop it open. I think I'm leaning more towards an older sporting Citori, I like the way they look, plus I've shot one a liked it.

I have another question, what would be a good place to look for a gun like this, I found one on the Indiana gun clubs web site, and I've looked on gunbroker and gunsamerica, any other good suggestions? Thanks for all the suggestions, Josh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.