1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The accurtate rifle

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Sky Buster, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I think it's stupid to be shooting at deer at 997 yard's.
    What's the point? How many run off and die unclaimed at that
    distance?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Pure and simple. Offhand?

3. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

0   0   0

If your wind doping skills are as good as your grammar and spelling then your lucky if you can shoot yourself in your foot...

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

0   0   0

All possible...

All possible...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

0   0   0

If you say so......

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    sky buster, quote: <i>"I think it's stupid to be shooting at deer at 997 yard's. What's the point? How many run off and die unclaimed at that distance?"</i>
    <br>
    6.5-284<br>
    140 gr bullet<br>
    @ 1000 yard<br>
    drop -273.6"<br>
    wind drift (10mph) 66.3"<br>
    752 ft lb energy<br>
    <br>
    If you subscribe to the common theory that 1000 ft-lbs is the minimum on target energy needed for cleanly taking a deer, the 6.5-284 falls short at 1000 yards.

As for whether the 997 yard shot is bull or not, I cannot say.

What I will say is that the people I know who could make such a shot (as proven by their target shooting) wouldn't.

7. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

0   0   0

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Shooting game animals at that range is irresponsible. If and when the animal is wounded and runs off, you now have to cover close to a mile to where the animal was when you shot. Good luck finding it when it has a 20-30 minute head start in rough country. Hunting to me is about woodcraft skills, stalking, spoting, then taking the animal at reasonable ranges. Just my 2cents.

8. Garry

Garry Active Member

0   0   0

Ditto to what Brian and Rufus80 said.

9. grntitan

0   0   0

BIO & Rufus,

Exactly.

10. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

0   0   0

Look fellers........that deer ain't going anywhere.....trapgun7 said he was on a high fenced ranch.........wounded,or not it ain't getting away.I'm not saying I'd do it(take that((997))shot that is),but it is possible,maybe not ethical,but possible.I hate to see any animal wounded......just put 'em down as quickly,and humanely as possible be it 50 yds,or 900+. Just sayin'.

D.P.Reynolds

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

I have a dog that is a BS finder. He is scratching on my monitor right now.

HM

12. grntitan

0   0   0

Hey, why stop now. When you are this deep in the BS you may as well go for broke.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time I..........

Ah hell, we will save that for the next campfire BS session.

13. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

0   0   0

Why is there a BS thread in the for sale section?

14. steele

steele TS Member

0   0   0

A good friend of mine does alot of long range shooting/hunting. Last year, he
    shot a deer so far out, he had to pack his hollow point bullet with salt, so the meat would not spoil, by the time he got there to recover it!! Butch fom Pgh

15. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

0   0   0

I don't know of any state that allow dogs on a deer hunt. Sounds like a great way to meet new people - like game wardens!

Kiv

16. grntitan

0   0   0

kiv,

Dogs can be used for tracking deer after they have been shot here in Illinois. You are not allowed to use the dog to actually hunt the deer.

17. 1oz

1oz Member

0   0   0

This sounds reasonable I have no doubt seen a few deer dropped at extreme ranges .I shot the 6.5 x 284 and when you got them 142's pushing over 3,000 fps she was screaming . Under ideal conditions maybe maybe not . Va allows for deers to be hunted with dogs east of the Blue Ridge. Most of my rifles do run alittle more than that tho maybe because of custom actions .

Jim

18. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

0   0   0

There are a bunch of states that allow deer to be hunt with dogs.All are in the South,and its ALOT of fun........I figured y'all would like it.......shotguns,deer,and dogs......what could be better?

D.P.Reynolds

19. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

0   0   0

Many years ago, Larry Moore and I shot some excellent scores at 1000 yds. in Camp Perry matches using a 6.5x55 and 139 gr. Svenska Metalverkan bullets at a much lower velocity than the 6.5/.284. My rifle was a Schultz & Larsen free rifle that is now a .243. No idea what the 6.5 would do to a deer at 1000.
    I have a real beast of a 6.5 wildcat built for me by Dave Tooley on the 6.5x68 Von Hofe with a Nesika Bay action, Krieger barrel, Jewell trigger, MacMillan Stock and Nightforce scope. A real tack driver, but I can't back up far enough from deer in South carolina to really put it to good use. My .257 Ackley Improved kills them all just as dead.

Best,

Hank Cross

20. Dave K

Dave K Member

0   0   0

I have to agree with many of those who say the range this deer was shot at, was irresponsible. Though, I do admire the shooters ability to connect, it would be better at that range, to be shooting paper. Too many variables with wind at that range to be used on living animales. (JMHO) At the range he shot the deer at, it shows he is a great shooter, but does nothing to show that he is a good hunter. I admire good hunting and I want to shoot well. Getting an accurate gun is not as hard as many make it out to be. It just takes dedication if you are doing it yourself or a fat wallet if you want someone to do it for you. I enjoy the game of making a gun shoot accurate. I also enjoy hunting and to be good at both, is something I really strive for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.