1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

the .410 is great for........

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John Henry, Jan 4, 2017.

1. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

....PHEASANTS!!!

Put the 410 barrels on the K-80 and had a blast last weekend!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tron, mike-sid, o-hale and 1 other person thanked this.
  2. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Nice. Hunting on a game farm?

3. la angler

la angler Member

What size shot did you use ? Looks like a good time and friends.

4. Sundown

Sundown Well-Known Member

I like the .410's, but I've always thought they weren't quite enough for Pheasants.

Claypoppy, Chance McCall and Gary Waalkes thanked this.
  5. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

Yeah, on a game farm (like in the photo above, in which most of the harvest was comprised of hens), go for it! Not such a great idea for hardy wild roosters.

That's a nice-looking little tri-color setter!

big kahuna and Gary Waalkes thanked this.
  6. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

Yes, a preserve outside Pittsburgh.

7. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

You guys did great. Fun like that is truly priceless! I'm debating weather or not to take my .410 on a pheasant hunt on a stocked club hunt next week. (.410 BPS)

8. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

I wouldn't make the comparison so much of preserve vs. wild for 410 shooting, but more of dog-pointed vs. wild flushing birds. We have the same success on wild birds when hunting state game lands. (as far as close shooting with the dogs pointing....not the number of birds!!) Since I knew it would be mostly sorgum, there wasn't much threat to the stock getting scratched up!

The tri-color is my buddy's dog, she is about 18 months and really starting to figure things out! She really benefits from hunting with more experienced dogs, like the one pictured, which belongs to the guy who breeds them. She still likes to take off like a rocket when we first start. The GPS collar showed she ran 34 miles that day!!

9. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

the darker maroon shells were 3" mag federals with #6 shot, which use a roll crimp and over card. His buddy game me some of the brighter red shells, they were 3" mag, # 7 1/2 with a regular crimp, but I cant remember what brand. Both shells knocked the birds down pretty good.

mike-sid thanked this.
  10. ditchparrot

ditchparrot Well-Known Member

I wasn't really coming at it from a ballistics standpoint. My perspective is that on a game farm, I'm not too worried about less-than-lethal shots. Those birds are like any other pen-raised poultry and I've bought and paid for them before they were ever put into the field – they've been purchased whether or not they end up in the game bag.

That's not the case with wild ones. Wounding and losing them is painful – and would be even more so if I felt like it happened because I didn't put enough lead in the air.

11. P3AT

P3AT Active Member

I have a friend that hunts long and hard every year, except for pheasant he hunts exclusively with a .410, using 3" reloads with 7.5's he kills over 200 wild birds every year.

If I knew his facebook page I'd link it to pics.

Pat

12. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I hunt pheasants using my Win M 42 almost exclusively. I load 2 1/2"AAHS hulls, 16.4 gr. Alliant 300-MP, 1/2 oz of nickle plated #6 shot at 1300 fps. Under 40 yards, most of the shot goes clear through and kills them as good as my 12ga. I have a very good pointer so my shots are close. Pen raised birds are no competition for the 410, neither are the wild birds in front of a good pointer. I just do not take the long shots.I find the nickle plated 6's at 1300fps to have far better patterns and superior killing power than the 3" factory lead ammo. Bill

kehrby and John Henry thanked this.
  13. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

john, nice shooting!
    btw...got any picks to replace you as oic for the navy skeet team any time soon?

14. John Henry

John Henry Active Member

I just started a new assignment, so I probably have 3 more years, so I will hold on to the title, unless someone else wants it!!!

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Shoot pheasant and chukar with a .410 lots of fun, Also have a great time on the 5 stand course with it.

kehrby thanked this.
  16. big kahuna

big kahuna Well-Known Member

The .410 is great for..........................rabbits!
    George

mg1polo thanked this.
  17. stockmaker12

stockmaker12 Well-Known Member

it's a bit of a challenge but you can shoot in the high 90's at 16 yards. I've used my briley tubed 3200 for trap with a full choke and 8's

18. mike-sid

mike-sid Active Member

Let's not forget skeet. The .410 smokes the birds on the skeet field too.

mg1polo and kehrby thanked this.
  19. trapster12

trapster12 Active Member

Years ago my brother-in-law bought a brand new Beretta Silver Snipe 12 gauge over and under and I had bought a side x side Savage 410.
    We went pheasant hunting for wild birds. When we pulled up to where we were going to hunt we went to the back of the truck to get our guns. We are always acting a fool and when he pulled his gun out of the case he said "Well I guess I will pull my new shot gun out of the case". So when I pulled my gun out of the case I said "Well I guess I will pull my new shot gun out too" to which he replied "You mean that popcorn popper"? At he end of the day I had gotten my limit of 2 cock pheasants and although he had his share of shots; he hadn't killed a one. When we were putting our guns back into the truck I said "Well I guess I will put my popcorn popper away". He didn't say a word.

Hauxfan thanked this.
  20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The .410 is good for .... having fun. Quail and clay targets are about as big as I go with mine but that's just me.