1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The $4 Recoil System that works

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hookedonshooting, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

I gotten quite few responses on a post I made on a thread discussing the best recoil systems out there. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets shy about forking over several hundred bucks for one and the need to cut into a stock. For $4 you can try this remedy out, and avoid the costs and wood work.

This set up was done for my Model 12 and it has definitely taken some of the punch out of the gun. More details below.

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

What are the details? Are you referring to a PVC pipe filled with shot?

3. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Roll(s) of nickles in the butt stock.

Pat

4. Hookedonshooting

Trying to get pics up. sorry for the delay. Having a blonde moment.

5. Hookedonshooting

Very Blonde today
    [​IMG]

6. Hookedonshooting

The spring is 11/16" diameter and the length for my M12 is 5.25"
    [​IMG]

7. Hookedonshooting

8. Hookedonshooting

The pvc spacer is 1/2" electric pex, I didnt want the nickels to clank on the stock bolt. This is not absolutely necessary. Have $1.10 in nickles. Played with it to get the weight right. It does speed up the gun swing a tab as any weight in the stock will have the same result. With the spring extending slightly out of the stock, once the pad is in place, the slight compression of the nickels keeps them from clanking around. Not sure if going to "lighter" spring would help or hurt.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What does the spring do?

I'd add more nickles just to run the bill up!! Just kiddin but it would add even more weight!!

HAP

10. Hookedonshooting

HAP, will tell you this. The springs works just like a mercury recoil reducer. I initially have about $2 worth of nickels in it but damn the gun got heavy later in the day. Each nickel is 5 grams. doesnt sound like alot but it adds up.

11. mich746

mich746 Member

Hooked: Are you a democrat? A $4 recoil system that actually costs $5.09;)

I will give it a try, Thanks, Mich

12. Hookedonshooting

Nope. Im on the the right side. There were actually 2 springs in the bag i took the picture of, so they're $2 each. Found the nickels in my couch. Not sure what i bought a 10' section of 1/2" Pex for, figured i'd use it. Not sure where i came up with it being $4. It just sounded good.

13. Hap MecTweaks

HOS, you'd never be able to shoot many of my guns with my version of added weight!! You'd soon be able to tell I've never bought into the perfectly balanced myth for a trap gun that's always pre-mounted!

Give this a little, make that a lot of thought, on exactly what happens when the gun does begin recoiling? The weight you placed between those two springs is going to do what? Same for any liquid added device.

HAP

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Under Obama those nickels are only worth a penny now.

15. Hookedonshooting

HAP, the weight of a gun has a direct effect on felt recoil. I am adding wt to the gun. Now the effect of the nickels and spring, how much, I cant measure it. Maybe there someone on here that can give us a physics lesson.

16. Hap MecTweaks

HOS, for years I relied on ads for items made to sound really good at reducing part of the felt recoil on my shotguns. Fancy wording certainly doesn't equate to physics but it sure as hell sells a lot of inferior products!!

After I wasted a ton of my hard earned money buying those fancy worded thing-a-ma-gigs that I realized exactly what was going on with felt recoil. My thinking was, if a little is good, a whole lot is better?? Works extremely well for reducing the felt portion on my competition shotguns!!

Now for the perfectly balanced crowd, my hunting gun is balanced for carrying comfort and throwing it to my shoulder with equal weight distributed between my hands! Makes for a better quicker shot on quail and ruffed grouse!! Even on my best days afield, that only happens a few times! Trap shooting? That B 300 targets and shoot-offs when I'm lucky!! The rag writers have created so many shotgun/shooting myths even tho Pope would have a hard time convincing believers any different!

HAP

17. Hookedonshooting

My brothers Lujtic shoots real soft. But the damn thing is 9+ lbs! Maybe i need to start working out. Everyone says M12's are punchy. When they shoot mine they tell me its been backbored or something else that isnt true. I need to weigh it. I did just put new wood on it.
    [​IMG]

18. Hap MecTweaks

This gun pictured above is what I used for trap, all the way to the 27 and won a car shoot with it. It weighed real close to 13 pounds at the time!

The picture below is how I'll pass it along to my grand son and I'll shoot my last ATA targets with it as is too.

HAP

[​IMG]

19. jmunsell

jmunsell Banned User Banned

Are the results in on anyone who has tried this yet? Jim

20. Hookedonshooting

Just me and my brother. Obviously, nickels can be subbed for dimes depending on the bore of the stock. Its $4. Try it and report back. Or go buy a Dead Mule or whatever and pay $60+ on something you may regret buying as HAP stated above.

HAP - 13lbs???! You re a stud. Nice engraving, lucky Grandson.