1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The 30 yard line for 'Caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ebsurveyor, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

The 30 yard line for

It's long overdue!!

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Why not increase the target speed/distance (say 60 mph & 60 yds) and widen the angles? This way the small clubs will not have to add concrete.

Curt

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How about this as a solution; Establish 5 clases for 27 yard shooters: Everyone starts out as a "D" shooter. After a punch from the 27 you are bumped up to "C", You can only get to "AA" after 10 punches or 10 yds. It beats earning yardage to nowhere.

Phil Berkowitz

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

eb, totally agree. No other solution makes more sense!!

5. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

If you win you move back, simple as that.

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

If you keep adding concrete, what will happen if the pros get back to a yard line they can no longer shoot the winning scores but their average is above the break point for a reduction?

What then...will they stop playing the money...will they shoot much less...will they shoot in the ground to lower their average so they can get a reduction...what then? Will they quit all together because they are no longer competitive?

The idea don't seem fair to me!

Mark Rounds

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Sounds good to me!

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's figure out ways to get everyone shooting in the 70's that'll really keep them coming back. I'd rather see a shootoff with Big Leo, Harlan, Bob and Ray and about 15 or so 20 yard shooters going at it. Hopefully all of US would be in that group. Even if you got beat you'd still have a heck of a story to tell, moreso than going home with your 70 score from the 30 yard line. Quit giving everyone and their dog a punch and you'll have some real amateur competition. Punch only the winner. WHen you pass out a couple dozen punches during a shoot you've likely created about 20 shooters that will never win (again). Maybe the clubs don't like the idea of all the free targets thrown during shootoffs?

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

While we're at and more foolish comments prevail will someone explain how shooters make it back to the 30yd. line without earning that yardage?

Then further explain how they stay there when their average falls below the break point!!

10. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many clubs laid out their fields based on 27 being the max yardage. I'd say most clubs can't expand back to anything further than that. That would make the 30 yard line a deal breaker and no way to hold future registered shoots.
    Any other ideas or suggestions?

11. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

It won't change a damn thing the good shooter's are going to win. You cry baby's go change 5 stand or skeet.

12. Hauser

Hauser Member

What would extending the handicap walkways to 30 yards on several traps at the Sparta accomplish????

Jerry Hauser

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"If you keep adding concrete, what will happen if the pros get back to a yard line they can no longer shoot the winning scores but their average is above the break point for a reduction?"

Mark, any shooter can become static at any yardage and shoot the scores you mentioned, how do we deal with those shooters today? The answer is; nothing, whether or not they improve is up to them.

From 30 yards, the top shooters will still win, just not as often as usual and some won't carry averages above that break point either.

I also feel shooters should have to actually earn yardage to shoot beyond the 27. No 15 buddies and an automatic win to advance either. Yardages beyond the 27 should be earned at MAJOR shoots alone with winning or tie scores.

I'd also make a small wager IF yardages are increased to the 30 yard line. I'd bet $1000.00 dollars it wouldn't take the 9 years to break a 100 straight as it did when the yardage was increased from the 25 to the 27 in 1955! That is, if nothing but yardages alone are increased, not the angles.

Gene Hapney

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I will make my suggestion for fixing the handicap system just as soon as I master the 27 yard line. (hey it could happen) This way I would have some chance of making a credible argument. Other than that, any complaints I might have about the current system is just me whining about the azz kickings I get from better shooters.

15. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Wolfram, using that logic we shouldn't vote for President until we have been President. You are a member of this association and you should contribute to the discourse if you feel you have something to offer. JRM

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wolfram and other ask yourself a question is it not credible to expect that when a shooter reaches the 27. He is subject to the same treatment as a shooter that reaches the 25. If he wins again he moves back what could be more fair than that and why would it be whining?

"I will make my suggestion for fixing the handicap system just as soon as I master the 27 yard line."

Does the 20 yard shooter get to "master" his yardage? How about the 24yd shooter or the 25 or 26. No they don't but when a shooter reaches the 27 as a youth and spends 30 years practicing that yardage they certainly do.

The feeling I keep getting is as long as you are on the 27 everything is alright you can stay there and master that yardage because there is no where to go.

Bob Lawless

17. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Here is a idea. How about the non 27 yard shooters learning to shoot. (Statement not a question.) Post-2

18. ivanhoe

Post-2 If I ask you some questions will you answer them? If so here goes. How old are you? Do you now shoot the 27? Did you win any handicap events at major shoots this year? Last year? The year before that?

If you are the same age as the average shooter in the ATA or older you should realize the the shooters that are on the 27 that are now dominating the major handicaps have had in most cases 30 years to perfect their craft at 27 yards.

Using your suggestion how old will you be when you have been on the 27 for 30 years???????

And how will help yourself and other to be competitive?????

Bob Lawless

19. DanLee

DanLee Member

Why not just put in a wobble trap? Saves concrete and puts the element of surprise back in the game.

20. ivanhoe

DanLee because when I want to shoot Wobble I will go to my own club to do so. Not travel to a major ATA shoot to just to shoot wobble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.