1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2011 Barrakuhna

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features:

Jacked up Holosight in front of dominant eye keeps the bbl down and out of the way for two reasons. The non-dominant eye can't key on it and I have a better view of the top of the house & emerging targets. Aluminum plates are 1/4" each. The adapter had two holes drilled and tapped for the scope when I bought it. I think I purchased the scope mount at Gander.

870/AR stock adapter. This model is no longer produced, but there are several still out there available and functional. Google to find.

AR 15 stock compliments of Brian of Oregon. Thanks Brian! The extra weights in the stock tube have brought the total up to 10.4 lbs. I put a plastic plate over the end of the stock in front of the pad to keep the weight from sliding out. Not very visible, but it works fine. Something I had laying around.

Washer in the top bolt (1 of 2) attaching the butt pad to the stock. This brings the pitch up to where there's no bumping of the lip or cheek. AR stocks have a lot of pitch in them already, so only 1 washer was needed. Lock nuts keep it all together.

No bead to lure the non-dominant eye into an active role.

Pad is tipped so it fits my shoulder pocket perfectly.

The top of the stock has a hole in it (made that way) which scuffed up my cheek the first day. A little light sand paper fixed that. Also there was a lip on the outer tube of the stock that would bump your lip upon recoil, so I took that off with a file. Stock is one notch in from all the way out. Once I determined I wanted to shoot that setting, I cut the weights to the right length. I used a heavy steel bar in the front tube and some old lead weights in the back tube.

Fore end is from a Remington Shurshot stock set. I like it because it's longer (towards the receiver) than standard and my thumb just reaches the groove on the left so I can get my hand into the same spot on every mount. I should have purchased the black model, but I thought Johnny might be shooting this year and I knew he would like the camo better.

Shoots dead flat per my own settings.

Just getting into the gun this spring. We'll see how it goes.

Joe

2. joe kuhn

Holosight has a red circle with a small dot in the center for a reticle. The circle is about as big as a pattern at striking distance - a happy coincidence, but I've not measured it.

The way I shoot this gun is to hold even, look low, get ready, call, see the target well and move directly to it - not too fast. When the red circle moves across where I'm looking I let it go.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Glad you could use the stock.

FYI, the holosight has a 65 MOA circle around a 1 MOA dot.

That means at 100 yards the circle covers roughly 65 inches.

At 50 yards it would cover roughly 33 inches.

From the 16 yard line, most clays are shot when they are approximately 17 yards from the trap house. That's 23 yards. The circle would cover roughly 15 inches.

From the 27 yard line, most clays are shot about 20 yards from the trap house. That's 47 yards. The 50 yard figure above would work, but to be a bit more precise, the circle would be out 31 inches.

Since a full choke typically throws a useful pattern of 40 inches at 40 yards, the 65 MOA circle would be a fair amount inside that pattern. An extra full choke probably matches the 65 MOA circle fairly close.

To calculate, add the yardage line plus the clay intercept distance (between 17 and 20 yards) then divide by 100. Multiply that result by 65.

I'm tempted to get an 1187 saddle style scope mount and test my EOTech just for kicks to see what it will do.

4. joe kuhn

I have a saddle style mount for my 870. You're welcome to it if it will work.

Thanks for the calculations. I was worried the circle would look too big at yardage, but the pattern is bigger by the time it gets to the target, so no worry.

My 870 stopped ejecting shells tonight because of a broken action bar, so I switched to my Remington autoloader, model 57. Just a plain old gun. I got into what has been described as not even using the bead. See it, move and shoot. It was the only way I could break targets at yardage, but they were wierd breaks - all pieces with no smoke. And it sure kicked. Added some weight for the next time.

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

...and I thought this was going to be another Obama joke.

Keep us posted on the effectiveness of this setup. Not my cup of tea but I am curious.

Dave

6. joe kuhn

At first I spelled it with one 'r', so I know what you mean. Barakuhna - ha!

I can shoot the Holosight the same way you're supposed to shoot a beaded gun and never see the bead. I never really notice the reticle. In fact, when Frank Hoppe asked me if I used the red circle or the dot in the middle, I didn't have an answer for him because I don't focus on that when I shoot. I see the target. You have to. The rules of vision are the same as with any gun. You must keep your eyes on the target and shoot when the gun comes across where you are looking. Frank went back to the line and smoked the next target. He said, "I could shoot that."

7. SeanGamble

SeanGamble TS Member

hey joe ya gonna have it out at st. charles this weekend?

8. joe kuhn

Hi Sean. I'm so busy trying to shoot it I don't think to ask others if they'd like to try. Run me down and ask if you'd like to try shooting it sometime.

After having the action bar welded, which didn't work, I forgot to check the point of impact and noticed something wasn't right. At the pattern board I found it was now shooting 5 inches high (at 12 paces) when my preferred height is dead on. So I got one round in with it high and didn't like it. Missed some targets - 4. After resetting it to shoot even, it went back to shooting as expected. Got my first straight with it this spring.

Don't ask me to explain why. I just know dead even works for me with this gun. Yes, it is different. I hold the gun even and look low over the house for emerging targets because they are clear for me right when they come out. When I see the angle I go right at the target, keeping my eyes on the clay. It's an intersection problem. At yardage I have to shoot when the far side of the red circle hit's the target, not the near side. Did one yardage round today and shot a 22 from 23 yards.

New action bar ordered.

Joe

9. joe kuhn

I've been trying to figure out why this works so well for me after having shot my 3200 with a 100% high pattern (with custom built stock) all last year. Yes, I did ok with my 3200, but that's not the point. My point is I switched to this and was shooting it well in a matter of a few shooting sessions. Actually, I shot it well from the first round considering I didn't shoot all winter. Note I said, 'all winter'. That's from Nov. to March or 5 months. How could it be that I was able to switch to this so easily if this is so 'wrong' in some people's eyes?

I think I've been thinking of a high shooting gun all wrong. "You want to shoot a high gun because the targets are rising." That doesn't quite explain it all. I spoke with someone who went to Harlan's clinic and he said Harlan shoots a high gun, held even. I'm not sure where he looks, but Harlan's point is that you want very little, if any, vertical movement - you want to set up so you move horizontally a small amount and shoot.

Well this set up allows me to do that. I have much less vertical movement and a small amount of horizontal movement; whatever horizontal movement is needed to get there.

So I've got the gun held even, which means the red circle in the Holosight is even. I'm looking low, under the circle, just over the house, call pull, see the angle and move the red circle to where I'm looking at the target. I move side to side enough to intersect the flight path. My poi is dead flat, but I still get the same results that Harlan teaches. I may have some vertical movement but it's surely less than with my 3200 which is held low so as to avoid confusion and crossfiring.

Consider what happens on a straight away. When the target, which is what I'm looking at, bumps into the red circle, I shoot. No movement is needed horizontally or vertically. The lead is built in.

On an angle, I'm looking at the target and I run the red circle into it - where I'm looking. It seems simple because it is.

I do need to lock the angle down and practice more.

Want to buy a 3200?

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A question Joe? Have you shot many patterns for POI at 30 yards with the Holo-Sight? If so, are you using the center of the dot for an aiming point?

Hap

11. joe kuhn

No, I shoot up close at 12 paces. I do use the dot in the center from a rest. I put it right on the dot on the cardboard and adjust until the dot disappears with each shot.

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Just for grins n giggles, do that same thing at 28-30 yards?? Then let me know via email? Hap

13. joe kuhn

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Joe, one of the guys at my trap club has an 1100 with a high rib Hastings barrel and a Jack West stock, with the comb cranked way up. I shot it and could not hit the ocean from a rowboat. He says it shoots 135% high. This allows him to hold at the edge of the traphouse in 'caps, and not have to elevate the gun at all. This means the only motion is left or right, taking one element of error out of the game. Of course, proper timing (knowing when to fire) is a must, but it is anyway with a conventional gun.

15. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Joe I'll bet when you check your poi at 30yds you will find it a lot higher than you think. Because your sight sits so high above the bore when you adjust the poi at 12 yds it will be high at 30. If you set it flat or centered the pattern at 30 it would be low at 12 pretty close to the amount the sight is above the bore low.

I've shot a red dot at trap too and found I needed to set the poi about as high as I like it with a regular bead.

16. joe kuhn

Now that I've had some sleep, I'm remembering the results. It shot a few inches high at 30 yards. Measured it was 3 inches high from the dot to the center of the pattern. That was a couple of years ago when I first shot the Holosight. It bears repeating. I need to keep a notebook on this stuff.

I know I can come up some in my gun hold. Currently the bbl is just on the lip of the house. I could come up a little more than that and 'gain and edge', so to speak. Considered raising the scope, but the AR stock would then be too far down on my jaw.

"This means the only motion is left or right, taking one element of error out of the game. Of course, proper timing (knowing when to fire) is a must, but it is anyway with a conventional gun." Yes, that's what I'm seeing with this gun.

Next, in terms of hardware, is a different weight in the back of the stock. Lead mashes over time, so I need to get a copper tube, borrow the melter and pour me a more durable weight. What I've got is now rattling inside that back tube.

I need more practice with angles locked down, so I can control them. Looking forward to this. You should have seen the smoke I got from 25 yards with 1 oz of #6 steel shot at 1325 fps. Now that's a confidence builder - a positive upturn.

Joe

17. joe kuhn

I want to take half of the plastic off the left side of the stock so I can get centered better. Don't know how to do that yet since the stock is plastic. I suppose a file will work as well as it does with wood. Then sand paper it smooth.

Been shooting this for a month and just got into looking under the red circle instead of just over the house, sensing the angle and moving horizontally to the target. That's mostly horizontal. I like it. Can get smoke easily this way.

18. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

As usual Joe, you are doing intriguing work. If you need a machine shop, let me know. I can turn you loose here and if we can't make it, it can't be made. PM me.

19. joe kuhn

Had a good discussion with 'grntitan' about how shooting this is like shooting with one eye closed - the visual cues telling your brain, "we're there, go ahead and fire" are only available to the dominant eye. The non-dominant eye has nothing to pick up on. It's only role is to stay focused on the target like the dominant eye should be doing. So the advantages of two eyed shooting are present.

To a cross firing shooter like myself, this is the best of both worlds. I can use both eyes to see the angle of the target and not have targets start out under the gun, out of sight to the dominant eye, which is why my non-dom tries to pitch in. I can also hold even and minimize gun movement.

Disadvantages: it looks weird, the extra hardware means extra things can go wrong, when you take it apart, you must check the alignment on the patterning board, batteries go dead on you. To me, it's worth it. I feel I can solve these problems and continue to break targets.

I call it 'One eyed shooting with two eyes open'.
    [​IMG]

20. joe kuhn

Gun is up to 11.5 pounds. Reversed the scope mount to bring it closer to my eye for a wider field of view. I like that. Put a slightly thicker pad on it to be sure I don't get bumped in the nose. I'm considering a recoil reducer as above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.