1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

That's it for shooting for a while!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Sailor, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

That

I had a fall at work on Friday, landing on my left chest on the corner of a 10"x10" timber. I was scraped and sore, especially in my left armpit area. Saturday I went to the club, shot a couple of rounds, ran the singles and shot 22 in handicap, and figured I could manage the pain through 150 rounds. With some chemical assistance I managed 48 in singles, and at the start of the handicap the drugs wore off, for a 37. More drugs, and 49 in doubles. Not too bad, it hurt, but I was okay with the pain. I was walking into the clubhouse when a friend clapped me on the shoulder as I turned to talk to him. That was all it took to pop the rib in my armpit, and I felt it separate and grind back together. Put the gun away, loaded the dog up, and delivered gun and dog home, then off to the hospital for xrays. While waiting for the xrays, I had a surprise sneeze, which popped the end of the rib loose from the cartilage. The doctor says there is nothing grossly wrong, but there is something suspicious about the rib in my armpit, so he is having a radiologist look at the pictures. Meanwhile, go home and do nothing. Take Ibuprofin and Acetaminophen alternately, and things will eventually get better. I know he's right, and I will heal, but DAMMIT! when it hurts to breathe, sit, stand, walk, or sit at the computer and type, I can see I have a long road to full recovery and shooting again. I'm a little scared to go to bed and lie down, in case I have to get up ever again.Oh, well. Thank goodness for chemical assistance with the pain relief.

2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Hop you have a speedy recovery. Several years ago I fell and cracked a rib on the right side, I went hunting the next day and shot a deer with my 30-06. I Feel your pain!!!

Chuck

3. ctreay

ctreay Member

Broken ribs are no fun, I know. I had two on the left side plus a cracked pelvis fron getting t-boned.

ctreay

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Years ago, when I raised cattle, a young bull butted me on my left side near the breast bone. Two broken ribs, could not take a deep breath or do much of anything else for several weeks.

Ouch, that smarted. Lucky for me the bull was playful, not mad.

I got the last laugh, the stockyard put him in the kill pen. He was steaks and chops the next day.

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I took out 8 of 'em in a fall and spent 6 weeks on a LazyBoy recliner. Some of 'em still look like "Z's" and the chest plates always come back with chronic broken ribs.(duh) Re-learn how to breath and just do what you can. Pain pills work, and you'll be offered some heavy duty ones...take 'em and that's about all you can do. Sneezes are about the least fun, as you've learned. Time will heal, and you'll be fine in a few weeks.

best...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.