1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

That new Ithaca 37 Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by powderburn, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey all,
    Just wondering if anyone out there has bought one of these yet, or if they are even available. Says so on their 'site, but was wondering if distribution has happened yet. If so, what do you think of it, hows it feel, etc......

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

It's a grand old name. Did any prominent shooters ever shoot a 37?

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

PB. Call them up and ask. And let us know

4. rrose

rrose TS Member

I saw the new trap model 37 at the grand 3 years ago and liked it but have not been to the last 2 so I don't know if they are still making them.
    randy

5. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Click the link. GaryL

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Wasn't the Colt Woodsman popular back in 1937?

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Heap... NO. That was bow and arrow period.

8. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

They're available and I've shot one. It broke targets. I don't know what the price is. They are very nicely finished but compared to the originals there are a few shortcuts in manufacturing that I have to presume a lot of people would find distasteful (floating rib instead of the massive soldered version of yore, stamped parts instead of things machined from an eight pound block of steel - that sort of stuff). The factory will bend over backward to make you happy. This day and age the M37 is what I would consider a nostalgia gun. Objectively, for trap it is a bit light and awkward to use. Great guns for the field.

Joe Hiestand's 5E was stolen back in the early fifties or thereabouts. It was later recovered in New Orleans. He is known to have used a 37T during at least part of that period.

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

C'mon now Jack. We all know if it don't start with a P it ain't worth shit. :)

11. john g.

john g. TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes I have looked at a couple that some friends ordered. A father and his sons special ordered 4 or 5 of these with special serial # that they wanted.The wood is very nice fit and finish great. I do not know the price.
    I am shure if they read this they will respond but I will not give there names without permission.

john g.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I handled one at Jaquas a few years ago.

I may be wrong but I think Jaqua was the only dealer that had any.

As Bill Rike said, a bit light and I think the factory could have done a better job on the forend but I suspect they wanted it to look like the originals.

Regards....Gerald

13. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

I purchased a new 37 back in 1969 - for $130. Since I wanted to get into trap shooting, and was a reloader, I really liked the bottom ejection feature, putting the hull right in your hand. Unfortunately, the gun didn't care for reloads much. First, I was having the shells stick in the magazine tube. I fixed that by taking the mag tube into work and running an adjustable reamer through the tube until the shell rims slid in and out easily. Then, I couldn't get them out of the chamber after firing. Broke an extractor once. At the trap range, I carried a cleaning rod in my back pocket, and after shooting a clay, took the barrel off and poked the hull out with the rod, and reassembled before it was my turn again. It was a joke around the field about Tom and his muzzle-loading pump.

I knew it had to be the fault of the Lyman Easy loader that I was using at the time, but I traded the 37 in on a Beretta BL-1 and ended all my reload problems.

Another thing - handling and shooting that Ithaca so many years ago, operating the gun was firmly embedded in my mind to the point that, almost 40 years later, I purchased a Mossberg 500 for home defense and immediately started feeling around for the slide release in the front of the trigger guard, and the cross-bolt safety in the back of it, neither of which was there. :)

As a fit of nostalgia runs over me now and then, I do miss that ol' Ithaca.

14. William681

William681 Member

Flyer Tom;

My first shotgun was an Ithaca 37 in 20ga in 1963. 28”, mod, plain bbl.

Used it for everything, hunting, trap, skeet, and did very well at all three.

I was 13 with the reflexes to match

I felt the need to improve its’ performance,(duh...early stage trapshooters disease), more open for skeet, mod for upland hunting, and full for trap.

I sent it to Herter’s and had a vent rib and “Model Perfect” adjustable choke put on.

I loved that gun, unfortunately so did my sister in-law,(not the wife of det131, the other brother), she borrowed it for an indeterminate period and when a nasty divorce ensued, my 37 disappeared.

I would give a nut to get that gun back, (especially at this age, the shotgun would get much more use :)).

Thanks for the memories.
    Bill Boston

15. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I had one back in the 80's, it kicked alot more than my Win 101 or the 870. Also the shells bottom ejected and I never got used to it, having learned on my Dad's model 12 it just was too clumsy for me. It never had any mechanical problems though. Oh my dad's gun never fit me properly so I shot a BT-99. My favorite Shotgun was my 870 Competition with the gas recoil reducer. I now have one which doesn't fit and an Ithaca century 2 34 full choke no ports. It is the best gun I ever owned for the money $650.00. Still have my Dad's model 12 since 1978, he got it in 1950 new.

Harry

16. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

I started shooting trap 2 years ago with a new M37 Featherwieght I pickup at their Upper Sandusky, Ohio factory. I like the bottom eject because I shoot left-handed. Love the gun, but it is light, hence the name featherweight. I was shooting Wal-Mart shells, and the felt recoil was nasty! A few months later, after i knew I was going to continue with trap, I switched to an SKB unsingle.

My son shoots my M37 with 7/8 oz reloads when he has time to go with me. Felt recoil is much improved!

One of reasons I bought the Ithaca was that it is USA made, and a plus that their factory is in Ohio. The receiver is machined from a block of steel. Don't confuse the new Ithaca with the 1970s Ithaca. My understanding of ATA rules is that in singles, only one shell is loaded at a time, so reloads getting stuck in the magazine tube is a non-issue.

Ted/Beavercreek, Ohio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
is the ithaca m37 trap gas operated

ithaca 37 for skeet

ithaca trap model 37 trap for sale
m37 trap