1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

That ain't muzzle dlash mate, THIS is muzzle flash

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Dec 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    AK made into a pistol with a 3-1/4" barrel.<br>
    <br>
    I've shot Krinkovs, and they're bad enough for blast and flash, but this really takes the cake.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

THIS IS MUZZLE FLASH!

Looks like Redco in an Annie's load.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Coach,,,,is that barrel ported???? :D

4. Shooting Coach

The mobile gun is ported. The one above is not. There is an obvious advantage in porting. I prefer Angle Port. LOL

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Does the Navy still use black powder? What would these things look like at night?

Pat Ireland

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Pat, yes they do. Or did, on the battlewagons. I'm not sure any are still in service.

7. Shooting Coach

Dear MIA

Kinda looks like a stool, but if it is a dog, it is likely a DEAF one. LOL

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Pat, What do they look like at night? Ha, depends on whether or not they are pointed at you.

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Coach

That "thing" in the picture is most likely what will make the next muzzleflash. It's on a stand waiting to be loaded and fired.

10. Tracer

Tracer Member

Pat,
    Black powder went out of use in the big guns in the mid 1930's and Cordite came in. Much easier to swab out the barrel's and burned cleaner. When I was in, in the 1960's we were still using C for 5 inch and larger. Don't know if it is still in use now. The cordite grainuals were about the size of a lead pencil and had a hole through the center with 5 smaller holes going through the length around the larger hole. It burned really slow (like fuse) in the open air, but under chamber pressure it was much faster of course. Had a real ascidic smell in the turret when firing the stuff and made your eyes water.

11. willing

willing Member

In 1952 we fired Recoiless Rifles, 75 & 105, you should see the blast from those at night. blast from the front and REAR, that's how they made them recoiless. Nobody , repeat nobody stood any where near the rear or else.

bill

12. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Wonder witch battlewagon is in the photo? no numbers visible,(just a thought, but when you call "pull" on that ship you`ll get someones attention). I`ve also heard that with the new sighting systems (drones etc). they could hit a schoolbus sized target at 50 miles. impressive to say the least. any swabbys out there who sailed, served on these great ships in the 80s& 90s that could verify this? thanks ML

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

The USS Wisconsin

16" Mark 7.....The Real Deal

[​IMG]

Tom(AJ100)

14. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Because I couldn't get that much "muzzle flash" in one post.

Talk about raining hell down on someones head.

[​IMG]

Tom(AJ100)

15. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

No porting on those barrels! The muzzle blast must be deafening!wonder if they`re using 7 1/2 or 8`s thanks for the pics ML

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    willing, quote: <i>"In 1952 we fired Recoiless Rifles, 75 & 105, you should see the blast from those at night. blast from the front and REAR, that's how they made them recoiless. Nobody , repeat nobody stood any where near the rear or else."</i><br>
    <br>
    My dad said in Korea they came across a 75mm recoilless rifle the NKPA had captured and tried to use against us. The fried and mangled body of an NKPA officer was behind it. Oops. Guess he underestimated the backflash.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

The photos bring another dimension to the term "shoot off". Do those big guns have release triggers?

MIA- I hope your wife does not read your post. If she does, I hope you really do not like to eat dinner, because you won't have much for a while. The mussel blast in the photos might look mild to you compared to the blast from a wife. In a shoot off with her, you will lose.

Pat Ireland

18. willing

willing Member

Brian: We once had a butterball who got too close and ended up standing on his head about 10 feet off the ground. didn't get hurt but he became very carefull where he stood.

Bill

19. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Say Pat, is a mussel flash kind of a fishy smelling fart?

20. Tracer

Tracer Member

Brian,
    I believe the recoil-less 105's were ported. They put the porting in the rear of the barrel. LOL
    When I was in the Navy I served aboard a Tin-can called the Hopewell (DD681) and was sight setter on a 5" 38 turret. Once I decided I wanted to see the muzzle flash from outside the turret and climbed out the bottom hatch to watch. I was about a foot from the bulkhead when they touched it off. The concussion slamed me against the steel pritty hard and ruined my hearing for quite a while. In those days we didn't use hearing protection in the mounts but sure needed it outside. I watched the USS StPaul (heavy cruiser) during gunnery practice off the west coast shoot her 8" guns, (may have been 12's), and when they fired a salvo from all guns it moved the ship sideways about 40 feet. Kind of neat to see and real noisey. Del

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.