1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks You Phil Simms

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by little gambler, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Gary, send me some pic's. l.g.

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Packman did you have the stock fitted by Walnut maker or just built by him?

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

gun fitter Down Boy .

4. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Nice pic's Gary. l.g.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Hey Gary... Are yo a St paul type? I'm always aroung ot help., perticularly the locals

Jack

715-262-8556 days. 715-441-2384 cell

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Packman- No I didn't have a bone to pick with Phil.

You have to read carefully. I was merely making the point on the thread that although there many stocks that are custom and have adjusters on them; there are relatively few truly custom fit stocks produced.

In fact I have recommended both Phil and Tom Smith for customers who did not want to travel to see me to go through the process of building a Custom Fit stock.
    I'll have to rethink that in the future.

Until Mr. Sims seemingly insulted me I had made no derogatory reference to him. In fact if he had simply posted that he used a similar process for producing stocks that would have been all that was needed.

Instead he posts " And yes I do spend time shooting and custom making every stock for every client. You are not the only ones---good grief!"

Although technically correct he is misleading the reader. You see he did not say that he spent time with the shooter.

I'm glad you feel that your stock fits like a glove. Did you travel to Colorado to have the stock Fit or is it just a custom stock?

Since the vast majority have not had a stock fit and built by th same person how can they comment on what I have said. Fred Wenig and Moe Brag used to make well fit stocks. Today the pool of Gunfitter/stockmakers is dwindling and a few are in their 70's.

If you want a Custom built stock there are many and Phil does a good job.

If you want a stock fitted I can't say if he can. I haven't heard about him as a gunfitter.

7. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Yes " gunfitter " he can and does fit stocks as he has done for me and my friends. In fact he has built four stocks for me in the past two years, and I'm very pleased with each one.

We worked on his pattern board and then on clay targets. Results were spectatular, on the third day I shot my first new stock that Phil made I ran a hundred from the 27. I have shot multiple 98's and 97's (handicap) also with the stocks he has made for me. I am very happy with his workmanship and service.

My stocks only have an adjustable comb, no other adjustments were built in. They are very comfortable and easy on recoil.

To finish I must in full discloser tell all that Phil has been a good friend of mine since the early 80's, that's close to 27 years. Also I have been retired from ATA shooting for about five years until two years ago when I decided to return to competetive shooting. He was one of the first people I called to help me set up my new K-80 trap special.

Tom Strunk
    Senior Vet.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I was simply unaware and never said otherwise thank you. I hav always felt his workmanship was good.

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'm tickled pink with the stock that Phil custom made for me! No, I didn't go to Colo. to be fitted, I knew exactly what I wanted. When I received the stock, it matched the numbers I gave Phil over the phone to a "t". Another very pleased customer!

I totally understand fitting someone in person if they don't know the stock measurements they need also. Hap

10. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Many thanks to all you who have used my services--I am very grateful for each and every one of you. Especially in these tough times we all need nothing but positive in the shooting game. We hear nothing but negative things these days. Please see may last thread on custom stocks for my final comment on the matter of custom stocks.

Have some work to finish up for all the state shoots. Going to Vernal tomorrow on my forced day off. Good luck-- shoot well. Your friend Phil S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.