1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks UPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Diamond Bruce, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

This condition is common for UPS. We no longer use them, we have switched to FedEx.

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

"See What Brown Can Do For You"

3. Swimdad13

Swimdad13 Member

I had a two piece custom fly rod show up it five pieces once!
    Always insure! Sorry about your situation. -Bob.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks, thought it meant "way out"...

5. JoeBobOutfitters

JoeBobOutfitters TS Member

We received and send 1000+ packages a week via Fedex and UPS and have a very small percentage of damaged packages in transit. Many times it has to do with how it was packed. We tend to have more damages on long heavy objects for whatever reason, such as AR-15 Upper Receivers.

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

cool! let's see what it was packed in

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

It was no doubt a poor packing job. How about a pic of the package it was shipped in? Pretty easy to complain about UPS and FED EX but more times than not it was the dim wit doing the packaging. WE ask these carriers to ship 150 lb packages right along with 1 lb packages and we want them delivered overnioght with tracking and to make sure and ring and knock on the door and wait for us to get off the phone or out of the shower so they are not left on the proch. At some point common sense is needed but as usual is lacking with the American public.

8. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

I have received four ribs now from Add a Rib and the packaging was more then sufficient to prevent damage.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Heck, they broke my new bench lathe, and it's cast iron. But, they bought me a new one, and didn't break it.

10. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

But didnt you order the step rip? Let us know what the POI is.

11. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I had a racing camshaft for a 6cylinder come in two pieces once, courtesy of American Airlines.

Chuck

12. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

The key to any sucsessful shipment is the packing quality. The key to any claim with any shipper is to double box using sturdy boxes. I have a 34# item I need to ship. It will be double boxed in good boxes with packing material between. A pain & lots of time,I hate it.

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I just recieved a case of claybuster wads today via ups. Nothing seems to be broken in there........

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Run Gun has it right. the key is to double box. I wrap a gun (or whatever) in virgin corrugated wrap for cushioning, that fits into to a Uline 36x6x6 Long box, Put that into a Uline 40x8x8 Long box with some apple separators I get from the food store for dunnage and to keep it all form moving around, tape it well, and computer label it.

the thing a lot of guys do not know about preparing a shipment with FedEx or UPS is most every box costs the same. Almost to the dime my 40x8x8 box ships for the same as a 12x6x6 box. the reason is pretty obvious if you thinks about it. Their trucks run down the road not nearly up to weight, and probably 1/2 full. So size does not matter. What does matter is OH (that is overhead to neanderthal Bill above) and actual delivery. And those costs do not change.

I ship cases similarly.

15. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

Today I recieved my order of broken glass shards. Everything was packed tightly and nothing was broken. Thanks UPS

On a more serous note, I loaded for UPS one summer while in college. Its hard work and the hours were terrible. You had a few guys who did a good job, and a few guys who were mentally incapable of doing a good job. Then there was the other group! The guys who were there forever, who were cabable of a good job, but thought they were too good to "place a package in the truck". I can't tell you how many packages were thown from the belt into the truck. Those are the guys who really pissed me off because everybody looks up to them for their years of service. I felt bad for the foremans because they got their asses chewed out all night from the head guy.

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Here's another trick that has paid off several times.

I get a somewhat damaged box in from USPS. The damage shows on the outside. Very common. Well I carry a camera with me and have the clerk hold the unit in her/his hands and take a picture of the damage. Then, I take the box to a counter on the side and open and inspect. If it is damaged, I take more pics.

17. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

MIA - Good advice. That is exactly what you should do. Do not take it out of the box to see if the item is damaged, no matter how tempting it is. If you get the package delivered at home take it right to the post office, or call customer service for UPS. You can go to a UPS store but they will likely give you the, "we are not associated with UPS ground" crap. Take plenty of pictures and never open the box until you speaks or see a rep from the company. Also, I believe you have the ability to refuse a package if it has been noticably damaged.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I recently got a shotgun and when UPS driver came to the door, I noticed the box was damaged so I asked him to hold it, shot a photo and wrote his name down. Then I opened it ( he would not wait while I opened it) it was undamaged but had it been I believe I covered the bases that it was damaged in delivery. MIA gives great advice which will help settle any claims more quickly

19. millerm12

millerm12 Member

jktphd your description of your poi on your bent add on rib was pretty funny.i dont laugh to often at what i read , that was pretty good.lol. but i am sorry about your rib hope everything works out.

20. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

So THAT'S what a 600% low rib looks like......Rick