1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Tron

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was having some oil pressure problems in an older Crown Victoria with a 4.6 engine so I asked our local ford Mechanic on TS ( Joe Bowles aka Tron) he advised me that the engine was bullet proof but had a low tolerance for sludge. The car is 17 years old and only has 79,000 on it so even though I change oil every 2000 I figured he may be onto something as a car that sits a lot could get sludge. This car belonged an elderly lady who kept it at her AZ condo and only drove it when she wintered there. I ran a can of Sea foam in it for 1000 miles and changed oil and filter and replaced the oil sending unit. The sending unit was plugged ( in my opinion) because it kept getting better as I drove it with the sea foam in it but the pressure Gage was erratic and seemed to get better and better. Bottom line is when I changed the oil I got a lot of crap out of the pan and now with the new sending unit in it the pressure is awesome and regular instead of erratic. If Tron had not mentioned sludge, I would have not suspected it because of the regular oil changes and low miles. I most likely would have gotten rid of it and I did not want to do that as it is a great car that gets 20 - 25 mile pg and rides like a Dream... Thx TRON

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Glad to hear you got it figured out!! Theres probably a lot of life left in that old Crown...great cars and I drove on myself for years (Police Interceptor).

Jb

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    One of my company cars was an '85 Crown Vic wagon. Best made car I ever had.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Brian, My wife laughs at me for driving it when I have a nice truck sitting here but I just love the old bus. It goes like hell and is comfortable and gets 20 in town and 25 on the hwy. Can't beat it. If it quits, I will find another one

5. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Bet you got downtown fast in that old cop car! You still driving that old Contour you had last time I saw you?

Steve

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hey Steve! The kid drives that old Contour now. I bought a new Ranger last month. Nothing fancy, has a 4 banger, 5 speed with crank windows...just the way I like them. My last Ranger was equiped the same and I put 280,000 miles on it without ever having the engine apart. Great little trucks.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_3027.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.