1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks to BigJohn270 (Hall of Fame Diamond Grade)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Hessong* (MH*), Jun 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that I just purchased my first gun from a TrapShooters.com regular and how nice of a transaction it was. Everything was just how it was described and the extra care he took in packaging for shipment was well worth the effort, and I appreciated it very much. After seeing the horror story about a gentleman's BT-99 being shipped thru UPS, BigJohn270 said he typically used USPS and the package came thru perfect and everything was super.

I was also wondering if any of you Winchester experts on here might know more on the history of the Winchester ATA "Hall of Fame" Diamond Grades. I heard they made 50 guns (1 for each state) with a gold-line borders and some other embellishments as well as the individual state name in gold on the bottom of the receiver, but I think they also made a few without state names with the same basic blued receivers engraved to show the Vandalia Trapshooting Hall of Fame on one side and the circular ATA "Trapshooting Hall of Fame" logo on the other side. The serial number on the gun I bought is HF131E, so I was kind of wondering how many of the non-state guns were made. I do know they only made these guns at the end run of the Diamond Grades around 1986 and the last inventory was sold out to Jaqua's and Guns Unlimited. Years ago I had bought a couple of over/unders and couple of top-singles from this close-out, but never knew of the Hall of Fame guns. The over/under barrels are totally separated like the special "Live Bird" gun that also has the gold wire borders. Top choke on this barrel is fixed Full and the bottom barrel is Win-Choked. Top-Single has Win-Chokes. Really nice piece of wood on the butt-stock and forearm.

My FFL who received the gun for me also bought a Hall of Fame gun (the North Carolina state gun) from a man who had one for sale that I found an ad for after purchasing the gun I received yesterday. The NC state gun has the gold wire borders and the state name engraved on it. My gun is without the extra gold and state name.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything about these guns or if any of you shooters out there might have one and are shooting it. I know a lot of people automatically say Winchesters "kick like a mule" but the 5 or 6 years I used to shoot my Diamond Grades, I never noticed a recoil problem, so I think that might be based on individual expierences.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

2. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

Mike
    Thanks for the kind words and I will follow this post as well, as I would like to know about that gun as well.

Thanks for the smooth transaction.

John

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I had # 92. The price bottomed out when I traded up so I took a beating on it. I had problems shooting the single, 100% high was too much for me so I shot the OU for six years and shot it well. I had ZERO problems with the gun and the Spears release. I traded it to Jaquas and then a friend of mine showed up with it. He couldn't shoot the single either so traded it to another friend, and he still has it. I never figured out why they choke tubed only one barrel on the OU. Good gun for the money!

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have been watching one at Lynn Gipson's firearms. He has had it on the web for well over a year and it has not sold. Very nice guns

5. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

cubancigar2000,

I saw the one on Lynn's website as well. When I saw the one BigJohn270 had for sale, I did a "google search" and found a little bit more about them and some others for sale as well. Price varies quite a bit and depends on if it was just the Hall of Fame version or one of the 50 "state" guns with the gold wire borders. I was big Winchester shooter when I started shooting, until I moved to my K-80 about 10 years ago or so, but have always had soft-spot in my heart for the Winchesters. I still have a couple of the very first Winchesters I ever owned and wouldn't get rid of them for anything. My pigeon grade over/under is a special "wide" rib version that I understand was mainly built for European markets or bunker shooting. That is what I had been told. The rib is basically as wide as the barrels. Looks like you could land a plane on it. Not a normal pigeon grade wider rib, but extra wide. My other gun is a field grade 28" length gun, the first model that Winchester made with the Win-Choke system and the ventilated side ribs. Circa 1979 or so. The pigeon grade is around the same time frame. That gun is a 30" fixed choke gun; improved modified/full.

Mike* (MH*)

6. shark1

shark1 Member

101 Diamond grade was my first trap gun, and shot 50k+ through it. Recoil was the same as any other gun, (that I could notice). Sold the Diamond Grade and bought a Perazzi (current gun). I would like to find the person who has Delaware or New Jersey. I would buy another Diamond Grade in a heart beat.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.