1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Sandy for the new Roof I have to buy....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Catching Chrome, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Well, Looks like Sandy decided to take my 12 year old roof.... I guess I won't be getting a new trap gun soon.....

2. pretzel

pretzel TS Member

thats the pits. Hope you had some good insurance.

3. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Just one part of the roof.... Can't file a claim due to a major flood I had 2 years ago... This one's coming out of my pocket book.

catchingchrome_2009_2011103.jpg

4. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

That is a new one to me. Can you explain how having a claim two years ago affects your ability to file a claim now? Ron

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You better get a new Insurance Company pronto ... I never heard of such a thing as not being able to file another claim on damage, why have insurance ..? WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. SCL

SCL Member

I sympathize! I had 2 claims with State Farm in a couple years and they put me on a 1% deductable. Thats $3K per occurrence. Not happy but what do you do?

7. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have had to do this several times over the years. If an insurance CO. does something like this CANCEL THE POLICY BEFORE the changes are made and get a different Ins. Company!!!! When shopping for new INS, the new company your looking to go to will only see your old policy which should not put up any flags...but you have to act fast...I had to do a whole house car auto in one day 10 years ago.

GS

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Something seems missing from this picture since flooding isn't covered by homeowner's insurance. Flood insurance is from the federal government although an insurance company administers it.

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Looks like Sandy only took shingles and left the roof. We have that here in the mid-west during thunder or hail storms.

John brought up a good point, care to elaborate?

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

looks pretty minor, a couple bundles of shingles will fix that.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

What John said,..a handy man with acouple bundles can fix you up cheap...and lots of handy guys out there are unemployed and would love the chance to make a few extra sawbux to help survive

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

It is not just the shingles that ar5e loose or gone, what about all the shingles that got broke back and came back down still attached, that did not come off, the roof is screwed.

13. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Indoor Flooding is covered, Broken toliet water line which resulted in ruining my entire first floor, and flooding my basement to the tune of around $30K in damage. It was actually my 2nd claim in less than a year, because my house was struck by lightning about 6 months earlier, blowing out my heat pump (to the tune of $9K) and all the stuff that was 220vts (Stove, Dryer etc). So this would be my 3rd claim in less than 2 years, My policy went from $440 a year to $1,800 a year. Not sure what this would do, but I'll flip the $6K for the new roof as to not worry about it.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Hey, at least you were not injured.

Some never have to worry about another roof.

Lesson learned, change insurance after a claim or two, the phone book is full of companies looking for your biz.

15. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

"Major flood" certainly sounds like a flood while "major flooding" wouldn't. Don't know about your insurance company but mine (USAA) doesn't hold claims caused by acts of god (lightning, hail, tornado, wind, etc.) against you. The only problem is when you have too many at fault claims like your flooding claim- then they raise rates or drop you.

16. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Yeah,
    I looked into changing last year and most said I have to stay with my current company 2-3 years without a claim before someone else will take me. Just one of those things. I guess I am just carrying HO now in the event my homes burns completely to the ground.

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Catching Chrome , 30k for a broken toilet water line??? I would like to get in on some of this action. I will gladly fix the damage in the pic for a cut rate price of $5k. I can start today! I just need to gas up the truck and grab my sheep shears.

18. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Was the roofing done by yourself? Should be some kind of warrenty from the roofer.

19. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Roof is 15 years old as it was original to the house. $30K for the toliet flood, the toliet ran for 12 hours probably displacing almost 1000 gallons of water, destroying my hardwood floors, which then ran through the ceiling down into my finished basement which basically had to be completely gutted carpet, dry wall custom pine ceiling etc. It also destroyed my flat screen TV and collection of antique autographed books not to mention alot of other stuff because it ran down the wall into my book case. Just the hardwoods alone were almost $6K $30K is nothing in repairs when you have to pay someone to do it. I guess if you live in a doublewide then it seems alot.

THe best thing about it I wasn't home because I was at the hospital with my wife who was deliverying our 2nd child. That's what I got to come home to.

20. FLIP

FLIP Member

find a new roofer!! i don't see nail or staple holes in some of those shingles right at the top? hope it all works out for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.