1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Remington!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kfbagt, Jul 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

With all of the negative talk on here lately I wanted to share my experience with Remington which I believe to be a positive one...

I was fortunate enough to win 10 flats of STS shells at The Great Eastern skeet tournamet the weekend of June 20th. My shells were delivered today via freight truck as promised. Roughly one month later. To me that is excellent turn around time considering they probably gave away hundreds of flats to lots of different folks.

Thanks Remington for sponsoring a great event and for the shells. I, for one, really appreciate it!

Paul Daniels

2. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Bump for the evening group

3. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

The negative talk deals with a whole different topic, everyone is upset about their rebate checks. Remington is running into problems with I believe the company they hired to do their rebates? Don't quote me but I heard they outsourced their rebate system, someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I've went into Remington's building before with bad shells and they had no problem giving me some free ammo and they have always taken good care of their customers except for this rebate deal, and congrats on the shells. Jake

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My gripe with Remington has nothing to do with their stupid rebates and has everything to do with them sitting on their hands all these years while companies like Beretta and Browning take control of the market by actually putting money into something called "research and developement".

A pitty.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy with my 1100s and 1187s. They are proven designs. Remington has discontinued more sub-versions of them than other companies have built total.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Brian, do you really feel that Remington has done anything inovative in the last 40 years or so? Please be honest here. Do you not feel that what I posted is true? Do you actually think that Reminton products can hold a small candle to the likes of Beretta and Browning?

7. Jacob Guthrie

Jacob Guthrie Member

Tron, 25 years ago (maybe more) 1100s and 870s where the trap guns. Remington was basically been giving the keys to the shell industry after AA changed their hull, idk how true that will be in the coming years who knows. But in the firearms industry, they haven't innovated at all Beretta and Browning are hands down innovating the sport more than Rem.

8. Brian in Oregon

Show me a Beretta model that has been built with little basic change over a 48 year continuing production run that in 1999 exceeded 4 million guns (it's supposedly approaching 5 million now).

Plenty of people had the opportunity to buy a Beretta 301/303/390/391 (seems Beretta is still figuring it out) but instead chose the 1100/1187. It may be an old design, but it works and has done so over the last 48 years.

Many believe the 1100/1187 fits, feels and balances better out of the box than any Beretta.

As far as the gas system goes, yeah, it requires cleaning more frequently than the Beretta. But after reading posts here by Beretta owners, that doesn't mean their Berettas are any easier to clean. The piston can be a real bear when it gets really loaded with crud.

Part of the feel of the 1100/1187 is due to the steel receiver. It gives some heft to the gun. Some prefer the traditional blued steel instead of anodized aluminum.

Others switched to an 1100 after shooting an 870, because they feel and balance similarly.

More factory parts and aftermarket accessories are made for the 1100/1187 than the Beretta. And more parts are fixable by the owner. The 1100/1187 can be customized on a budget more easily than a Beretta.

So what's wrong with the 1100/1187? Aside from needing cleaning between 400 and 600+ rounds (depending on how clean burning the powder is and how big of a charge), some of the internal parts are staked in. Remington should have long ago emulated the Mossberg receiver with user replaceable shell stops, etc. The 1100 required different barrels for light or heavy shells, but the 1187 addressed that problem pretty well.

Price. The Beretta costs a healthy amount more, with the exception of the 3901 series, which is probably the closest threat to 1100/1187 market since it's in the ballpark for the budgets of many potential owners. If the 3901 is to make inroads against the 1100/1187, then Beretta needs to market it better. Many aren't even away that it exists.

Is the 391 made better than the 1100/1187? Maybe. If you compare early 1100s that were made with more care, the 391 is not all that far ahead for craftsmanship. Compared to some of the later 1100/1187s, yes, there is more care in manufacturing. However, the 1100/1187 is designed "loose", meaning that the parts have a built in clearance and glass smooth machining is not required. This is why the action requires very little lube. The main purpose of lubing the action is for rust prevention. Having said that, you're paying a lot more for the 391, yet I'd expect to see quite a bit more value for the difference.

The sporting clays argument always comes up. Yes, the 391 is very popular for sporting clays. I also note that the sporting clays magazines have ads by several gunsmiths for tuning Berettas and making them more reliable for sporting clays. It makes one wonder why that is necessary? And it makes one wonder how popular the 1100/1187 would be if give the same amount of attention?

In all the years of shooting my 1100/1187s I've only had one problem on the line, and it was deliberate. I wanted to find out how many shells I could shoot without cleaning when running cheap, dirty promo loads. The only other problem was with one brand of buckshot that hung up in the ejection port due to excessive length.

I don't think Remington needs to do major updating of their product. The basic design is sound. They especially should not jack the price up. The sheer number of sales show how popular it is. It's definitely a proven design. Further, how many who complain it is "outdated' rushed out to buy some of the updated Rem gas-autos offered in the last few years? Did you buy a Versa-Max or a Ti?

Oh, and the ribs don't fall off of the Remingtons.

9. staynumz

staynumz Member

All that and you didn't finish the most important part. How many rounds did you get through her before she quit?

10. Brian in Oregon

11. No Luck

No Luck TS Member

Im with Brian on this 100%. I would much rather pay half for a remington and clean it a couple hundred rounds earlier. Close to 50 years production has to say something. If it aint broke don't fix it. Plus it is made here. Give me a Remington any day. I don't know much about the shell rebate problem, but maybe they can get it fixed. Can you imagine how many people have sent them in? Maybe they got overwhemled? I don't know. Just a thought. No one is perfect not even Remington. Or beretta for that matter. For the guy that got the flat of shells, good job. A month turn around aint that bad.
    Chris

12. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

As far as Beretta being innovative what about the A400???????????

13. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I'm on Brian's side and I've had more 1100 and 870's than most of you put together. had the Beretta's too, reliable but handled like a 2 x4, ugly, and the 2 Browning auto's I had were anything but reliable and if you notice they have stocks like the Remingtons.Remington hasn't changed much over the years just like another old desisgn that nobody can argue with, the 1911, .45!

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Still shooting and winning with my 1972 TB. No idea how many rounds as I gave up counting at 300K. Replaced one firing pin, one trigger part. Pulled a thirty five year old 1100 out of the rack and am building it up now that my age and arthritic back and shoulder is getting a little more sensitive.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't put other guns down, I like them all. A few, like the Nova, are just butt ugly but they work.

Shoot 'em all and enjoy the freedom we have to do it.

15. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

With regards to rebate companies,they are very particular about what they will or will not accept from retailers. If there is any question as to the coupon or rebate form being original or filled out properly they will kick it back to the retailer or deny payment.Remington gets a statement from the rebate company showing the amounts of rebates and from which retailer. Then they cut the check.

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

GO BIG GREEN!!! ANOTHER VOTE!!

17. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

Just got my rebate check today.Mark

18. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Still shoot the 1100 trap I started with in 1973.
    Rick

19. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have some release triggers for those Remingtons if anyone needs one.

20. SWIFT

SWIFT TS Member

Bought Rem 1100 28ga at gunshow last spring. Gun was supposed to have been reworked at Rem and was in the original return box, Bla Bla... Did not work prpberly. Sent gun to Remington along with a polite ltr explaining such, Was returned this summer with a work order they replaced the reciever nc stating the grooves were too shallow???? Many thanks to Rem & Brian in Oregon who gave me the idea...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.