1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks from New Guy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by simbo234, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simbo234

simbo234 TS Member

Recent outing with friends to shoot trap for the first time have left me with severe case of "TRAP FEVER". Gave up hunting years ago due to business responsibilities/ new father duties and forgot how much I enjoy shooting.
    The terminology alone made me aware that I did not know enough to even ask a reasonable question so I spent hours pouring over the posts on this site to determine the best way to join the sport.

Nearest trap range is over an hour away so the first question is where am I going to shoot. Found link to information on safe shooting size requirements for trap range on this site and plotted the size on my property with room to spare. Next question - what am I going to shoot at? Purchased an Atlas AT50 with wobble base based on posts from you guys (and other research) and could not be happier. What to shoot with? The responses to YZFART's post on the 870 conversion could not have helped more. I had no idea you could do that to an 870 and since I did not have to buy another gun I have enough left to buy a progressive reloader. Just started the research on that purchase and leaning toward the MEC 9000. (Any input on loader appreciated)
    Yes I have considered I may be going a little overboard on a new sport but what better way to spend my daughters inheritance.

Thanks again to trapshooters.com and your input. Hope I can contribute as my skill and knowledge level increase. In the meantime I'll let you know how the "redneck" trap range progresses.(near the Ms./La. line north of New Orleans)
    Russell Simmons

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Go with the 9000, you are going to get there eventually so why not start there. Just take your time when loading, go for quality not speed.

Don

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Just one of the good things about a 9000G is you can load one shell at a time until you get the hang of how it works. Many start on a 600 Jr. and there is nothing wrong with them. I think if you load one at a time on a 9000 you can do it as easily as on a 600. Just my opinion.

4. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

On the 9000G, if you're loading one shell at a time don't you have to put a shell under the powder and shot drop to catch the drops? (if you are before or after said positions?) Or are the newer 9000's different than mine?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

5. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Russel, I guess the big question you have to ask yourself is how many shells am I going to shoot a day or week or how many can I afford to shoot. If you are going to shoot 100-200 per week, then a 600jr with the optional primer feed is good enough. Organized, you can load 200 shell in about 1hr. If you are going to be shooting more than that, a 9000g is the way to go so you can spend your time shooting rather than reloading. Another question is if you enjoy reloading, if you do a 600jr is the way to go but if you don't enjoy it and want to just get it over with then the 9000g will help you there.

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Sounds like your going to be a shooter so go with the 9000 or any progressive and forget the single stage as said above , you will be going that way in a short period of time . Good luck .

7. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

If you get the 9000, just disable the auto index feature while you are learning. Thgis will help you avoid spills and getting discouraged. Most of all, WATCH THE PRIMER. Welcome to the sport. JM

8. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

One at a time on a 9000G is not a problem as long as you make sure the bar locks up properly. Aftar the powder drops, the bar will be to the right. When the shot drops, the bar has to stay in a locked position to prevent powder dropping on an empty hole.

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This is not rocket science, I think if he is capable of shooting a gun then he can handle a progressive loader. There should be some good used buys out there.

Don

10. maka

maka Member

Simbo: All above post are good. Not to many years ago I was in your shoes. Learned a lot of good info., from these posts. The people on here are the best. Several people told me to start with Mec Graber, it is a progressive, rezises hulls and, is simple operate. Best part, when you err; it is still easy to clean up mess and restart. Good Luck!!!!

11. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

What ever Mec you wind up with, mount it in a cooking sheet to catch the inevitable spills.

Much easier to clean spills when they are contained.

ed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.