1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks Downrange 7/8oz wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by marotta, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marotta

marotta Member

Incredible results ..... I wonder why with such a light weight load?

2. marotta

marotta Member

I understand about the speed being one of the reason that they were hit hard and crushed, but could another reason also be that the shot pattern is wider?

Does the shot pattern spread out more?

3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

The pattern typically spreads less as the amount of shot is reduced. I would expect about a 3" difference in total pattern width going from 1 oz. to 7/8. The smaller patterns are very efficient in that there really aren't many wasted pellets, i.e. less deformation keeps more pellets in the main pattern area. I stongly suspect that shot strings are shorter, as well. It makes for an efficient pattern. A 1 1/8 ounce load doesn't have to be particularly efficient as it can overwhelm targets with pellet count, with more pellets in the fringe. As the shot charge is reduced, the fringe area is reduced, but a 20" core is a 20" core and will have enough pellets in it to do the job convincingly if it is placed on the target at least down to the 3/4 ounce level. I'm currently shooting 3/4 ounce loads and will swear I can't see any difference between them and the 7/8's ounce loads I shot for years. I can however feel the difference and I don't mind getting rid of recoil.
    Dave

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

How did the 3/4 oz crimp?

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Yes, sure they hit hard. But do you know how much crap I take when I show them "Old School Trap Boys" them thar PINK wads? LOL They always tell me to go to the skeet field. I can break um thar too!

6. marotta

marotta Member

Mike,

What is your recipe for the 13/16 load?

Raffaele

7. smartass

smartass TS Member

Bore is right, less is always more. 3/4 always beats 7/8 which always beats 1 which always beats 1 1/8 etc. Take my word for it- I wouldn't bullshit you.

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I too have shot light 7/8 oz (my bushing drops light) 8 1/2 and 9's from the 16's and get great breaks, but I don't have faith in them for competition. I think I will stick with 1 oz 8's and 1 1/16 oz 8's. RG

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Is there a good 1oz load out there with Green Dot that runs 1230-1250 fps using the pink SL wad or standard windjammer in a WinAA hull? I've been using RedDot but I think Green Dot would pattern better at long yardage.

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

At the end of 4 years of shooting registered birds, I bought my first case of wads.

Before that it was a bag or two when I needed more.

THe wads, those pink ones, why you might ask? because when I am on I am looking at ink balls, and then I feel the shot, the rest of the time it is the shooter and I have yet to have a shot that I didn't know that it was the shooter at fault long before the puller yells lost!

Al

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shoot trap and sporting clays and reload my own. Down Range wads are the best by far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.