1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thanks David for the edit

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikezookie, Oct 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikezookie

mikezookie Member

Apology to volunteers.

I was directing my statement to (claymuncher) about volunteers who accept jobs they are not qualified for. I have volunteered as a target setter and scorer since I started shooting in 1982. Some jobs I am not able to do. I refuse to run the cash register or act as treasurer of our club because I suck at it.

Those who tried to get a rule changed because they were not good enough to see slow pulls met a wall in the Executive Committee. So a statment like claymuncher made about how he tried to get a rule change through the ATA is only written to enflame those who have no first hand knowedge.

As some have said this problem no longer exists because of voice calls.

David. Thanks for removing my rash statment.

Mike

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update on your shortcomings ...

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"As some have said this problem no longer exists because of voice calls."

That's a fairly broad statement/assumption isn't it Mike? Like saying one can never get a slow or fast release with voice calls? I do agree however the problem with on time calls are much better and consistent than deaf human pullers.

The ratio of scorekeepers and shooters that know what's in the rule book is about the same today as it was yesteryear?

When voice released were set electronically in the beginning, they were timed on average to the best human pullers timing. Like human pullers of old, electronics also get outa time now and then unless the electronics are kept tuned. How many clubs do just that? Hardly any I know of. Some clubs use the releases till they no longer work before addressing the tune-ups. I've seen bad releases changed out from the Grand down to the local clubs level. Today, some of the voice releases can range from instant to several tenths of a second delay? As said though, most pay no mind to that and shoot their targets when they do emerge. The best shooters today can deal with that slight discrepancy and the average joe thinks his timing is off a tad?

Hap

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hap, Is there a way to tune the releases? Some thing a club can do? Dave

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

When it comes to the subject of "being able to see a slow pull," everybody knows who the Big Dog Cheater was, back in the good old days.

'Nuff said.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dave B., one of our club members, a retired electrical expert, rebuilt one set for our club and that set works better than any of the others we've used. I'm not sure about there being an adjustment per say but they can certainly be tuned up to work as intended. I'll take notes next time I see him and ask!

Hap

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

On the Pat there is an adjustment for the release time. Be sure the machine is warmed up before setting. This is the same thing you do when the trap throws multiple birds before it has warmed up. You just move it the other way. I usually start with a 1/16 inch space when looking from the top. I think the later models have a knurl knob you can turn easier....until the plastic breaks. Then I put a metal one in. It has been a while.

As printed in the Pat manual: There are two switches on the left side of the trap machine. With an allen wrench, loosen the two screws. Move the switch by increments of 1/16" or less to the left toward the front of the traphouse to lengthen THROW TIME. Move right to the back of the traphouse to shorten THROW TIME. See figure. (you need to be standing in the trap house and behind the machine for it to be on the left hand side)

A loud person on an adjacent field can also set the machine off. And you know a squad mate closing his gun or even clearing his throat can set it off.

Some times when a mic is not working properly a shooter will call louder thinking it fixes the problem... But ...he is just causing the mic on his adjacent position to go off. Also is a slower pull. Ray

8. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

There is a way of tuning the delay time of the voice releases, inside of the Caldwell control box. There is a series of DIP switches, that can be set to adjust the delay. The factory setting is a compromise for the different types of traps it might be hooked up to. I adjusted ours to be specific to PAT traps, which speeded them up a bit. It's been a few years ago, and I don't recommend this to someone that doesn't know what to do and what to set the switches to. It probably will also void the warranty, if you unscrew the cover of the control box. I got the information from one of our shooters that knew what he was talking about, and it worked. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.