1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you to the guys at rend lake

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grousser1, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grousser1

grousser1 TS Member

My son shot in the southern Illinois tournament at rend lake this weekend. This was our first shoot and we were really impressed at how the shoot was managed. Last time we were at rend lake the place was in terrible condition. I talked to one of the guys who runs it now I think his name is larry and he told me all of the things they have done in the last years and all the money they have spent to keep it going. He also said they had a few volunteers who know all about the trap machines and rebuild them along with a handful of others who have helped. I think they had about 150 kids shooting and the program really went well and moved along very quickly. From what I saw everyone had a great time especially the kids. It is clear this is a club where they want the kids. Thank you to the guys for keeping a great place to shoot going. We will be back to your next shoot for my son to hopefully get his first trophy!

2. Surveyin'

Surveyin' Member

My son also shot in the Southern Illinois Youth Sport Shooting Association (SIYSSA) shoot this weekend with his jr. high team. A fun time for all!! I love seeing all the kids getting interested in the shooting sports.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Larry and John along with numerous other volunteers have done a Great job at Rend Lake. They put the effort into every shoot they have and make sure everything runs smooth and everyone has a good time. Its my new favorite place to shoot trap.

4. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

The pleasure is all ours guys!

We ended up with 144 youth shooters. The individual who runs the program told me they have a total of over 170 kids in the SIYSSA program this year. Not only is that exceptional in itself, but the fact that they had 144 of those kids at one event is even more amazing to me.

Mike it was nice to meet you and talk about the program and we hope to see you in April. Hope I didn't bore you too much!

Matt I see you made it through the winter! Now that there is more snow in the area I guess we won't see you for a month or two...haha. Come on out when you can. It will be good to see ya.

Larry C

5. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

You will have to look hard to find a better pair of guys running a shoot. I stopped in Saturday because of the AIM shoot. I wanted to see how things were going. For a cold windy day I saw a very well run shoot with some great scores. Larry and John were always present and kept the line running well. The trophies were very nice and the food was great. I look forward to the upcoming April 13-14 shoot. The birds looked great and I look forward to some great times at Rend Lake. Larry and John should get a pat on the back for all of their efforts for the sport. I heard some parents talking that the club sponsors all youth teams that want to practice there. I have no doubt that these guys help everyone they can.
    See you in April!!!
    CA

6. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

Larry gave us a brief report on the upcoming AIM State shoot that is coming to Rend Lake this summer. I have not been to the AIM State when it was held at Bunker Hill. I was a little concerned if Rend Lake could handle a bigger crowd than our Southern Illinois kids. I didn't realize that the AIM shoot draws about 200 shooters. Rend Lake worked through our 140 without much trouble, the AIM State should be fine. This will be our first time that AIM is setting out doubles and handicap for the kids. AIM State will be a two day event.
    I don't know how many of our kids will opt in for doubles, we have a number of them shooting pumps and a few single barrels.

regards,

Todd

7. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Hi Todd:

You are correct - we worked through 144 kids in less than six hours. That was running on seven trap fields. We are in the process of purchasing one more trap machine, which will give us nine total fields for the AIM State Shoot. We will have eight program fields and one all day practice trap.

According to Jack Miller who is the Illinois AIM Director, there will be roughly 40 kids shooting the doubles and handicap events, maybe a few more. He has requested that we start those events an hour earlier than normal, which would be 8:00 am.

The program looks like this: Saturday morning will be 50 pair doubles, followed by the first 100 singles. At the conclusion of the singles, there will be a shoot off for belt buckles. This is open to all shooters. Sunday will start off with the second 100 singles, followed by the 100 handicap.

We have secured a block of rooms at the Rend Lake Resort at their government rate. Anyone needing a room can contact them and tell them you are with the AIM program to receive the discount.

Again Jack Miller from Exline Gun Club is the AIM Director, and can take anyone through the program, rules, etc.

Hope that helps...

Larry C

8. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Larry,
    Are you going to have any Leo Harrison clinics?
    CA

9. Larry Chinski

Larry Chinski Member

Hi CA:

We are in fact having another Leo Harrison clinic. It will be the same time as last year, the week before the Grand. I believe the private lessons may be booked, but there are slots open for the group class. They are filling quickly so if anyone is interested please contact us. If interested in a private lesson, let us know and we will work something out with Leo.

Thanx CA...

Larry C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.